Aftermarket sound for Dapol 7mm Terrier

devonseasider

Looking for advice & suggestions from those with far more knowledge & experience of these things than I have.

I've seen lots of references to various chips, sound projects & suppliers, but as it's an area I've not been involved in it still seems a bit of a minefield.

Would anyone like a stab at suggesting "the best" system to go for, with reasons?

Conversely, are there any judged to be better avoided, again with reasons?

I'm thinking about availability, quality of control, quality/fidelity of sound (that staccato "bark" was quite distinctive), speaker response and, of course, cost.

I know it's very subjective, but is it possible to get a balance between these variables?

I'd be interested to hear the thoughts of people who've fitted various ones.

Looking for advice & suggestions from those with far more knowledge & experience of these things than I have.

I've seen lots of references to various chips, sound projects & suppliers, but as it's an area I've not been involved in it still seems a bit of a minefield.

Would anyone like a stab at suggesting "the best" system to go for, with reasons?

Conversely, are there any judged to be better avoided, again with reasons?

I'm thinking about availability, quality of control, quality/fidelity of sound (that staccato "bark" was quite distinctive), speaker response and, of course, cost.

I know it's very subjective, but is it possible to get a balance between these variables?

I'd be interested to hear the thoughts of people who've fitted various ones.

Steam or Diesel?

I have a CSU V4 fitted to mine with a sugar cube speaker. I got mine from Digitrains. Not sure its the best sound as its the first loco I have ever fitted with a sound chip. Sorry I can't be any more help.

Marc

Why not use the same decoder (ZIMO MX644D) that Dapol are using in their Ready to Run sound fitted models? Surely they must know something about what's best?

The Dapol R-T-R has a hefty price premium, yet it's a simple installation, so check out the aftermarket suppliers.

The excellent ZIMO MX644D can be obtained from Digitrains for £82 plus a few quid for a speaker. This has sounds recorded from a real Terrier and is a cheaper alternative to anything else mentioned so far.

Next Issue of Hornby Magzine, issue 102, will have a feature on sound - fitting a Dapol Terrier with a ZIMO MX644D, out next week.

M7 is not very like the sound you need for a Terrier, so SWD will not be of much use. 

Kind regards

Paul

• RMweb Premium

Why not use the same decoder (ZIMO MX644D) that Dapol are using in their Ready to Run sound fitted models? Surely they must know something about what's best?

The Dapol R-T-R has a hefty price premium, yet it's a simple installation, so check out the aftermarket suppliers.

The excellent ZIMO MX644D can be obtained from Digitrains for £82 plus a few quid for a speaker. This has sounds recorded from a real Terrier and is a cheaper alternative to anything else mentioned so far.

Next Issue of Hornby Magzine, issue 102, will have a feature on sound - fitting a Dapol Terrier with a ZIMO MX644D, out next week.

M7 is not very like the sound you need for a Terrier, so SWD will not be of much use. 

Kind regards

Paul

My thoughts exactly regarding the fitment, and that's great news on the Magazine article...........perfect timing for me, should be getting my BR Terrier soon, not that I'll be able to play with it for months, everything is in packing boxes awaiting a moving date  :resent:  

Good things and all that............

My thoughts exactly regarding the fitment, and that's great news on the Magazine article...........perfect timing for me, should be getting my BR Terrier soon, not that I'll be able to play with it for months, everything is in packing boxes awaiting a moving date  :resent:  

Good things and all that............

Here's a short video of the Terrier and Digirains' ZIMO sound project working perfectly together:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUSx7Ox5izM

Kind regards,

Paul

The sound file on the digitrains decoder has a wee lisp in the chuff, it's a while since I've been on a Terrier so I'm not sure what is leaking, the sound would be fine if I only had one model but I presently have five with a plan for a couple more.

Apart from DCC Supplies who only have the Terrier sound available on an esu decoder which they are charging £30+ more for, is there any other source for a Terrier sound?

David

• RMweb Premium

The sound file on the digitrains decoder has a wee lisp in the chuff, it's a while since I've been on a Terrier so I'm not sure what is leaking, the sound would be fine if I only had one model but I presently have five with a plan for a couple more.

Apart from DCC Supplies who only have the Terrier sound available on an esu decoder which they are charging £30+ more for, is there any other source for a Terrier sound?

David

I am pretty sure "Mr Sound Guy" is the supplier for Dapol of the OEM fitment, if I am wrong I am sure somebody will let me know soon enough  :triniti:

• RMweb Premium

I am pretty sure "Mr Sound Guy" is the supplier for Dapol of the OEM fitment, if I am wrong I am sure somebody will let me know soon enough  :triniti:

Having read this somewhere and also seeing "Mr Sound Guy" in a magazine DVD feature I thought he would be easy to track down but having scoured the web I find nothing...........has anyone information at all what's going on with this source of sound projects?

• RMweb Premium

I don't understanding why the problem, I clicked the link and it took me to the Web page???

One for the IT gremlin experts.

David

Odd as I have tried the link in Google Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer..........all with the same message!

edit............Just tried it on my laptop (different connection) and I get the same message.......problem with page, timed out.

I'll just give up

Edited by boxbrownie

• RMweb Premium

I'm not an expert either, but try turning your router off and then on again, or press the reset button if it has one.

This worked, and amazingly I forgot completely about the typical IT first response, so reliable has my connection been for many months now  "have you tried turning it off and on again"    :yes:  web page available for me now, thank you.

Edited by boxbrownie

• RMweb Premium

YouChoos Terrier sounds were recently updated, and available on the MX644D 21pin too, so if you have multiple Terriers, this provides some variety too.

I saw that and listened to the example, but dare I say the online video demo seemed to have a very distorted/high pitched "crackle" to the sound............sort of put me off really. Sorry just my observation.

Edited by boxbrownie

I saw that and listened to the example, but dare I say the online video demo seemed to have a very distorted/high pitched "crackle" to the sound............sort of put me off really. Sorry just my observation.

Odd, as I haven't done a video of my Zimo Terrier sounds, so don't know what you were watching... Perhaps a very old CT project posted years ago? Link is probably still there, but totally different project... Like all the DCC sound vendors, our projects get rebuilt and updated totally on a regular basis to keep up with advances as the decoders and associated software improves.

Err...this.......it says it is a Zimo with a sugar cube speaker.

http://www.youchoos.co.uk/Index-Gallery.asp?L1=GalleryOOSteam&Item=Terrier

If it is a very old out of date project it might need a note saying as such.

Thanks David, you're quite right... It was Zimo, and it is an old one. That's the trouble with videos I guess - they need constantly updating as projects evolve. That one was the first-cut Zimo Terrier project directly converted from the old CT one. I'll see if I can add a note... Probably got dozens of old videos on YouTube that need similar notes!

Thanks for pointing it out.