Aftermarket sound for Dapol 7mm Terrier

devonseasider

• 6 months later...

what i find with steam sounds is they are far to hissy and high pitched, and so far have not found a good sound that i am willing to pay for. Charlie has a new supplier for steam sounds and from the clips on youtube are by far so far the best i've heard.

also, terrier sounds are not one size fits all. the chimney makes an enormous difference to the loco sounds. you listen to Stepney and compare it with a Drummond chimney version. completely different

what i find with steam sounds is they are far to hissy and high pitched,

This is almost certainly a speaker mounting issue rather than a fault in the sounds themselves. It is a fact that current sound models produced by manufacturers are a compromise between cost and effectiveness. Somehow I doubt that there will ever be any extra machining or dedicated space for a speaker as the RTR market is still dominated by DC and even in DCC, sound is a small percentage of sales.

• 4 years later...

I have recently read, on another website, that in order to get the Zimo M644 decoder to work properly, one needs to remove the suppression board. Something to do with it interfering with the BEMF.  I would be interested in any observations as I have two to fit and I intend to use the Zimo chip with Paul Chetter's sound file. Also, what stay-alive would folk recommend?  I don't want it to be able to run for seconds, just enough to cope with the odd blip.

Thanks in advance.

• 2 years later...
On 30/01/2021 at 15:30, John YouChoos said:

MX644D, IceCube28X18X08-2W and LifeLink+17000uF SuperCap for stay-alive - plenty of space in the boiler for all this.  Not had any problems with suppression components since the very first early batch of Terriers, so should be OK anyway.

Many thanks (Only just seen this!) :-)

• 2 months later...

I have just finally got around to fitting a Dapol O Gauge Terrier with a zimo decoder and one of Paul Chetter's sound files. Now I notice that on his demonstration video on YouTube, and also on the factory fitted version (also shown on YouTube), there are four 'chuffs' to each wheel revolution. On mine, however, I am getting eight 'chuffs' for each wheel revolution.  I am just wondering if maybe a particular CV has been misconfigured, and if so what the correct setting should be for the appropriate CV?

If anyone can shed some light, I would be most grateful.

3 minutes ago, Steve Williams said:

I have just finally got around to fitting a Dapol O Gauge Terrier with a zimo decoder and one of Paul Chetter's sound files. Now I notice that on his demonstration video on YouTube, and also on the factory fitted version (also shown on YouTube), there are four 'chuffs' to each wheel revolution. On mine, however, I am getting eight 'chuffs' for each wheel revolution.  I am just wondering if maybe a particular CV has been misconfigured, and if so what the correct setting should be for the appropriate CV?

I have sound in my Terrier and it works great.  Not by Paul Chetter IIRC but from Digitrains.

You didn't order the 00 sound file by mistake did you?  I had to take a 00 sound file (Loksound) for my J39 and then spent a fair amount of time playing around with several CV's (there isn't just one) to tune the chuff beats.

You will need to look at the manual I fear and it does have a lot of words.

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, Steve Williams said:

You need to adjust the "chuff sync" using CV267 and optionally CV358 for fine tuning at low speed and CV393 for extending the chuff interval:

This is from the MS manual:

CV #267 is only active if CV #268 = 0: Chuff beats follow the “virtual cam sensor”; an actual cam sensor is not needed in this case. The basic configuration “70” results in about 4 to 6 to 8 chuffs per rotation, depending on the selected chuff-set. Because it also depends in large part on the motor and gearbox used, an individual adjustment is necessary in most cases in order to achieve the exact chuff frequency; therefore, CV #267 is used: The lower the value the higher the chuff frequency and vice versa. The setting should be performed at low speed (around speed step 20-25, not 5). By means of CV #393 bit 6 = 1 the chuff interval of CV #267 can be extended 4 times.

You have to home in on the right value for CV267 to get the best sync - best done using Program On Main.

• Like 1

Many thanks. Got it sorted now. CV267 was set at 90. I needed to change it to 185 to get four chuffs per revolution. I had just assumed that as it was a soundfile dedicated to a particular model, it would be pre-set. However, after a quick call to Digitrains as well as reading the info above, it seems that some tweaking is still required. It now obediently chuffs as it should! I shall know for the second one.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1