THE Christmas show, Manchester - NOTE: amended directions

Allegheny1600

Warley is over now, so it's time to look forward to next week's fix of high quality layouts!

Advance bookings for THE Christmas Model Railway Show - Manchester 2015! are about twice as high as they were for our last exhibition in 2014, - BUT advance bookings close 5 days before the show - so get them quickly if you want to save money and have preferential entry at the door!

Hi All,

Just to remind people, entry is £8. The postcode M1 3BB will take you to the venues own multi story car park.

IMPORTANT NOTE: A large sinkhole has opened up on the Mancunian Way so please do take note of the modified directions as posted on our website here: http://mmrs.co.uk/exhibition/venue_directions/

Cheers,

John E.

Perhaps it's because your a "blacksheep"?

Nah, it's because the layout is confusing and I kept going past where I wanted to be (bike parking area) without being able to find a way into it. 

Guess it made me look a little dodgy as though I was looking what was there to pinch - it wasn't for noise :)

Are bikes allowed in the multi story?

I keep getting thrown out of NCP Great Northern's car park for some reason :)

Ta

I've asked the organiser about this, I simply have no clue, sorry.

Just waiting on any response.

I'm assuming it's a push bike as surely motor bikes would be allowed!

Cheers,

John E.

I've asked the organiser about this, I simply have no clue, sorry.

Just waiting on any response.

I'm assuming it's a push bike as surely motor bikes would be allowed!

Cheers,

John E.

It's a motorbike, there are various reasons that multi story car parks don't allow them in;

noise - some bikes have noisy exhausts and it echoes and is annoying

don't trigger the barrier - the induction loop to trigger the barrier isn't always sensitive enough to register bikes, one solution is to fit a short barrier that a bike can get around, the easier option is to not allow.

steep / twisty ramps - car park owners worried about us loosing control / dropping the bike due to the ramps having been built in the 1950's (Coventry, I'm looking at you!) and a claim being made

Height - some bikes are a bit taller putting the rider's head above roof height, fear of someone riding face first into a low beam. 

It's not a big issue if bikes aren't allowed in that car park, I can find somewhere else and walk, but with the christmas markets getting underway it'd be nicer to be parked close by 

Thanks

Ta

I have to admit, you've stumped me.  I don't know but I will find out tomorrow when I ring the venue about other last minute things.  To the best of my recollection there is a motorbike area near the barriers, but I'm not sure.

I think also that there is a motorbike parking area near to the Porters gatehouse under the railway arches.

If you've emailed me through the website, it's not come through to me yet.

Phil - Exhibition coordinator.

Ta

This is the text of an email from the venue manager, it looks like my vague memory was right:

clear.gifclear.gifclear.gifclear.gif
RE: Motor cycle parking

09:49

clear.gif
To: Philip Sweet

bluemanmxl.png

Hi Phil

There isn’t anything on the car park specifically for motorcycles but there is a cycle/motorbike area on the campus.  If he/she heads for the Gatehouse and enters the campus on the left hand side (not the right where all the other vehicles will be going), there is a designated area on the left hand side.  I can’t picture it myself, but I’m assured it exists.

I you want to check further ,try Google Earth.

Phil

Evening all,

The show is now largely set up and looking pretty good.

Main hall,

23227593470_87cd6f23a1_c.jpg

23497253436_5ecdc5ced3_c.jpg

Main hall layouts;

22895064424_ab6a0fd4c0_c.jpg

22896243963_39ff8f8b2c_c.jpg

23414850932_9d2df3517f_c.jpg

The smaller hall;

23414866022_8ba6b77384_c.jpg

The largest (model) turntable I've ever seen!

22895075954_e448de4138_c.jpg

MMRS own American H0 layout

23497245946_b765568be8_c.jpg

Some of the display cabinet including some of the late Sid Stubbs work,

23497262046_14366df939_c.jpg

My apologies for the quality of these hurridly snatched camera phone shots.

Hope that anyone (& everyone) who comes along, enjoys the show.

Cheers,

John E.

Archived