McHale's Yard Gn15

narrowman

The layout was originally built in 2010 and was exhibited in a 4' by 2' format and, appeared as such at the Midland Railway Centre, Butterley in 2010 and Crewe Heritage Centre in 2011.

McHales1.jpg

McHales+5.jpg

I later sold this layout, but kept the name (as McHale was my grandfather's Irish family's name) and most of the Gn15 (1/24th and 1/25th)

rubbish in the yard, as the new owner wanted to convert it to 7mm. So, everything that wasn't required was removed and placed in boxes, for me to use if I ever wanted to rebuild McHale's Yard, which is now what I'm about to do.

The new boards are four foot by eighteen inches and they will be joined together to make eight foot by eighteen inches.

McHales+4.jpg

I probably will add anothet four foot by eighteen inch board so I can add a workshop with cars under repair/restoration, although I may decide to build a preparation unit for Humanitarian Aid vehicles, something I was involved with in the past and still act as a consultant.

I have already acquired a Land Rover Series 3 LWB, Land Rover 90 and a couple of Range Rovers in 1/24th scale! - and finding the Mercedes G wagen that was recovered from the original layout (it's in a box somewhere!!!)

AID+2.jpg

This is my 1:1 scale Land Rover 110 in its original livery,,before we changed our name to Aidventures, at a show on our return from Belarus.

So, at the moment, track has been laid on the first board and the second is just a plain board, so if I feel well enough, I will continue track laying and getting on with preparing the 'scenery' gunge

Photograph of the first board:

scrapyard+A.jpg

The dots at the top right indicate where the shed will stand and the dots on the top left show where another shed might be and the dots leading out from the point

indicate where the track may lead to the next board - but  probably not - as I may remove that point!

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

No progress really, but I have decided to rename it "Pritchards Motorsport" and feature a rally preparation unit, with a rally breakers yard at each end with a rail running along the front, so I can have a small diesel and a couple of flat trucks with car parts running back and to. I'll have a selection of rally cars lined up, that can be changed every exhibition. These will be cars I have owned, driven or just liked....

Obviously, now it's a very long term project, as there's a few kits that need building and/or modifying...

Tony