Mantles Wood

Metr0Land

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

With quite a lot going on early 1961, we had quite a few notable births in this period but very few notable deaths.  Elvis dominated the charts with 3 number one hits in the period.

Jan 26th Are You Lonesome Tonight - Elvis Presley

Feb 23rd Sailor – Petula Clark

Mar 2nd Walk Right Back – The Everly Brothers

Mar 23rd Wooden Heart – Elvis

May 4th Blue Moon – The Marcels

May 18th On The Rebound – Floyd Cramer

May 25th You’re Driving Me Crazy – The Temperance Seven

June 1st Surrender – Elvis

June 29th Runaway – Del Shannon

July 20th Temptation – The Everly Brothers

Jan 20 JFK inaugurated

Jan 25 101 Dalmatians film released

Jan 31 Ham the chimpanzee is 1st primate in space

Feb 9th Beatles 1st gig at the Cavern (unadvertised) (also quoted as 21st)

Feb 19th – Justin Fashanu born (suicide 1998)

Feb 20th – Imogen Stubbs, British actress born

Feb 28th JFK names Henry Kissinger special adviser

Mar 3rd – Fatima Whitbread, British javelin thrower and Olympic medallist, born

Mar 6th London minicabs introduced.  George Formby died (didn’t turn out so nice that day then)

Mar 8th – Edwin Bush is arrested in London for the fatal stabbing of  Elsie Batten (Bush later convicted and hanged). He is the first British criminal identified by Identikit.  Sir Thomas Beecham died.

Mar 9th Russians launch space dog Laika

Mar 13th Five members of the Portland Spy Ring go on trial at the Old Bailey accused of passing nuclear secrets to the Soviet Union

Mar13th Floyd Paterson ko’s Ingemar Johanson in world title fight

Mar 15th South Africa withdraws from Commonwealth (also quoted as 17th) following referendum in Oct 1960

Mar 26th William Hague, British politician born

Mar 27th Ellery Hanley, English rugby league footballer and coach born

Mar 29 After lengthy trial Nelson Mandela is acquitted of treason in Pretoria

Apr 1st Susan Boyle, Scottish singer born

Apr 3rd  The Jaguar E-Type is launched

Apr 6th – Rory Bremner, impressionist, and comedian born

Apr 11 Trial of Adolf Eichmann for war crimes in World War II begins in  Israel

Apr 11 Bob Dylan makes his 1st appearance at Folk City, Greenwich Village, New York City

Apr 12 Russian cosmonaut Yuri Gagarin becomes the first person to orbit Earth

Apr 14th Robert Carlyle, Scottish actor born

Apr 17th – Tottenham Hotspur win the Football League First Division

Apr 17 Cuban exiles land in Bay of Pigs attempting to overthrow Fidel Castro

Apr 20th Nicholas Lyndhurst (actor) born (Happy Birthday Rooney)

Apr 27th – Sierra Leone gains independence from the UK.

May 1 Fidel Castro announces there will be no more elections in Cuba

May 1 Pulitzer prize awarded to Harper Lee for "To Kill a Mockingbird"

May 2nd – The United Kingdom becomes a member of the OECD.

May 5 Alan Shepard becomes 1st American in space

May 6th – Tottenham Hotspur becomes the first English football team this century, and only the third in history, to win the double of the league title and FA Cup

May 8th – George Blake is sentenced to 42 years imprisonment for spying for the Soviet Union.

May 17 Fidel Castro offers to exchange Bay of Pigs prisoners for 500 bulldozers

May 25 JFK announces US goal of putting a man on the Moon before the end of decade

May 28 Last trip (Paris to Bucharest) on the Orient Express (after 78 years)

May 28 – Peter Benenson's article "The Forgotten Prisoners" is published in several newspapers. This will later be thought of as the founding of the human rights organisation Amnesty International.

May 30 Harry Enfield, English comedian born

Jun 14 – The Government unveils ‘panda’ crossings; Boy George born

Jun 16 Soviet ballet dancer Rudolf Nureyev defects to West in Paris

Jun 18 Alison Moyet, singer, born

Jun 19 – The British protectorate ends in Kuwait and it becomes an emirate.

Jun 25 Ricky Gervais, English comedian born

Jun 27 Kuwait requests help from the UK and British troops are sent. Meera Syal born

Jul 1st Lady Diana Spencer born

Jul 3rd Suzanne Dando, gymnast, born

Jul 4th – Barclays open their "No. 1 Computer Centre" in Drummond Street, London, with a mainframe computer, Britain's first bank with an in-house computing centre.

Jul 7 James R Hoffa elected chairman of Teamsters

Jul 8 – At an all-British women's Wimbledon Angela Mortimer beats Christine Truman

Jul 8 Fred Trueman takes 5-0 in 24 balls against Australia

Jul 19 1st in-flight movie shown on TWA

On Mantles Wood I finally got round to painting and weathering the station building and some signage, plus adding a ‘station garden’ on the main platform and a number of people. 

I’ve added some small size LT bullseyes on the down platform.  Photos of the period are hard to come by, and seem to show quite restrained LT signage so I couldn’t be certain about their exact size.

The Modelu range of 3D figures are really very good, though you do have to paint them and these things get more difficult as the years pass.  My closeup photography isn’t as great as I’d like but hopefully they come across well.  Also I had to put a lot of thought into getting the scenes to be busy enough without having far too many people for a station that didn’t see a great deal of traffic.

Amazingly after all these years I seem to have almost finished the scenery, just in time to commemorate the 60th anniversary of cessation of LT service north of Amersham (Sep 9th).

A general view of the station frontage

51321481016_425a0fa18e_c.jpgrev Mantles Wood 1 comings and goings with flowers 800px by Sarah S1ddons, on Flickr

Sir Ralph Verney pauses by the station garden

51322197694_c866a6c30c_c.jpgrev Mantles Wood 2 Sir Ralph Verney with garden 800px by Sarah S1ddons, on Flickr

Elderly gent takes a rest

51322197684_79b69c768f_c.jpgrev Mantles Wood 3 old gent sitting 800px by Sarah S1ddons, on Flickr

A couple await their next train

51320744462_435a1256b9_c.jpgrev Mantles Wood 4 couple standing 800px by Sarah S1ddons, on Flickr

People waiting for up and down trains.  The 2 single gents and young porter are Modelu whilst the others are from the now defunct Falcon Figures

51321681678_9a857fd0d8_c.jpgrev Mantles Wood 5 canopy view by Sarah S1ddons, on Flickr

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Aug 3rd 1961 saw the last coal train to Chiltern Court (the building above Baker St station).  Due to the track layout, Met Bo-Bo No.16 took the train in and No.7 brought it out (showing destination Aylesbury).   From pictures on the LT museum site it’s clear that No.7 brought out a wagon loaded with rubbish.  It’s not clear if the inward working actually had coal or was simply done for the cameras.

Anyway, it gives a chance for a photo of a Met Bo-Bo with a goods train of sorts.  Not sure what the runs were at Mantles Wood, possibly crew training?

51353453424_5f079ca96c_c.jpgrev Chitlern Court Coal up 800px by Sarah S1ddons, on Flickr

51351978287_d4be730ed4_c.jpgrev Chitlern Court Coal down 3 800px by Sarah S1ddons, on Flickr

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

With a relatively short time since the last update, we only have some minor changes at the top of the charts:

Aug 3rd – Well I Ask You, Eden Kane

Aug 10th – You Don’t Know, Helen Shapiro

Aug 31St – Johnny Remember Me, John Leyton (which would be there until Sep21st)

Aug 1 Australian cricket captain Richie Benaud takes 6 for 70 in England's 2nd innings at Old Trafford

Aug 1 German DR limits traffic to West Berlin

Aug 2 The Beatles 1st gig as house band of Liverpool's Cavern Club

Aug 3 Suicide Act 1961 decriminalises acts of, or attempts at suicide in England and Wales.

Aug 7 Cosmonaut Gherman Titov circles Earth for a full day in Vostok 2

Aug 7 Soviet premier Khrushchev predicts USSR economy will surpass US (wonder how that will turn out?)

Aug 10 UK applies for membership of the European Common Market (wonder how that will turn out….)

Aug 13 Construction of the Berlin Wall begins in East Germany

Aug 21 Jomo Kenyatta released from jail after 9 years in Kenya (we called it keenya in those days)

Aug 21 American country singer Patsy Cline records "Crazy"

Aug 23 East Germany imposes new curbs on travel between West & East Berlin

Aug 26 – Police launch a manhunt for the perpetrator of the A6 murder, who shot dead 36-year-old Michael Gregsten and paralysed Valerie Storie.  This would be known as the Hanratty case.  After long running campaigns to prove his innocence, DNA evidence in the early 2000’s would confirm his guilt.

Aug 30 James Benton Parsons is confirmed as 1st African American judge of a US District Court

Aug 30 USSR says it will resume nuclear testing

Sep 1 USSR performs nuclear test at Eastern Kazakh/Semipalitinsk USSR (thanks for the head’s up)

Sep 5 USA begins underground nuclear testing

Sep 5 US President JFK signs law against hijacking (death penalty)

Sep 5 USSR performs nuclear test at Eastern Kazakh/Semipalitinsk USSR

Sep 6 USSR performs nuclear test at Kapustin Yar USSR

Sep 10 USSR performs nuclear test at Novaya Zemlya USSR (can’t be many parts of Russia contamination-free by now)

A few notable births but no deaths:

Aug 7 Brian Conley, comedian, television presenter, singer and actor, and Walter Swinburn, English flat racing jockey and trainer (died 2016)

Aug 8  Simon Weston, Falklands war hero

Aug 16 Saskia Reeves, actress

Aug 18 Huw Edwards, Welsh television journalist and news presenter

2nd September was the last Saturday of summer dated trains that year.  You could still see sights like ex-GWR locos pulling ex-SR stock on workings like Wolverhampton-Margate with 6942 Eshton Hall.

51415689384_1457649705_c.jpgrev 6942 Eshton Hall 800px by Sarah S1ddons, on Flickr

Meanwhile a typically unkempt Black Five 44663 hauls a uid summer Saturday extra.

51414930866_39b95925f3_c.jpgrev Black 5 unkempt 44663 800px by Sarah S1ddons, on Flickr

Ex LNER D11’s could still be seen in frontline service on a Saturday though this isn’t a summer dated train.  62663 Prince Albert is working a Nottingham-Marylebone footex.  Nottingham Forest were playing West Ham in the English League Division 1 (the top flight at the time).  West Ham would win 3-2 though this was before the time football hooligans took it out on BR carriages after they lost.

51414188027_bdd4589618_c.jpgrev ex LNER D11 62663 Prince Albert 800px by Sarah S1ddons, on Flickr

There was some excitement locally when spotters heard that silver stock would finally appear but it turned out to be new 1959 stock on a mileage accumulation run rather than the hoped-for A stock.

51415917505_a3c3c91a08_c.jpgrev 1959 stock 800px by Sarah S1ddons, on Flickr

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 hours ago, Metr0Land said:

With a relatively short time since the last update, we only have some minor changes at the top of the charts:

Aug 3rd – Well I Ask You, Eden Kane

Aug 10th – You Don’t Know, Helen Shapiro

Aug 31St – Johnny Remember Me, John Leyton (which would be there until Sep21st)

Aug 1 Australian cricket captain Richie Benaud takes 6 for 70 in England's 2nd innings at Old Trafford

Aug 1 German DR limits traffic to West Berlin

Aug 2 The Beatles 1st gig as house band of Liverpool's Cavern Club

Aug 3 Suicide Act 1961 decriminalises acts of, or attempts at suicide in England and Wales.

Aug 7 Cosmonaut Gherman Titov circles Earth for a full day in Vostok 2

Aug 7 Soviet premier Khrushchev predicts USSR economy will surpass US (wonder how that will turn out?)

Aug 10 UK applies for membership of the European Common Market (wonder how that will turn out….)

Aug 13 Construction of the Berlin Wall begins in East Germany

Aug 21 Jomo Kenyatta released from jail after 9 years in Kenya (we called it keenya in those days)

Aug 21 American country singer Patsy Cline records "Crazy"

Aug 23 East Germany imposes new curbs on travel between West & East Berlin

Aug 26 – Police launch a manhunt for the perpetrator of the A6 murder, who shot dead 36-year-old Michael Gregsten and paralysed Valerie Storie.  This would be known as the Hanratty case.  After long running campaigns to prove his innocence, DNA evidence in the early 2000’s would confirm his guilt.

Aug 30 James Benton Parsons is confirmed as 1st African American judge of a US District Court

Aug 30 USSR says it will resume nuclear testing

Sep 1 USSR performs nuclear test at Eastern Kazakh/Semipalitinsk USSR (thanks for the head’s up)

Sep 5 USA begins underground nuclear testing

Sep 5 US President JFK signs law against hijacking (death penalty)

Sep 5 USSR performs nuclear test at Eastern Kazakh/Semipalitinsk USSR

Sep 6 USSR performs nuclear test at Kapustin Yar USSR

Sep 10 USSR performs nuclear test at Novaya Zemlya USSR (can’t be many parts of Russia contamination-free by now)

A few notable births but no deaths:

Aug 7 Brian Conley, comedian, television presenter, singer and actor, and Walter Swinburn, English flat racing jockey and trainer (died 2016)

Aug 8  Simon Weston, Falklands war hero

Aug 16 Saskia Reeves, actress

Aug 18 Huw Edwards, Welsh television journalist and news presenter

2nd September was the last Saturday of summer dated trains that year.  You could still see sights like ex-GWR locos pulling ex-SR stock on workings like Wolverhampton-Margate with 6942 Eshton Hall.

51415689384_1457649705_c.jpgrev 6942 Eshton Hall 800px by Sarah S1ddons, on Flickr

Meanwhile a typically unkempt Black Five 44663 hauls a uid summer Saturday extra.

51414930866_39b95925f3_c.jpgrev Black 5 unkempt 44663 800px by Sarah S1ddons, on Flickr

Ex LNER D11’s could still be seen in frontline service on a Saturday though this isn’t a summer dated train.  62663 Prince Albert is working a Nottingham-Marylebone footex.  Nottingham Forest were playing West Ham in the English League Division 1 (the top flight at the time).  West Ham would win 3-2 though this was before the time football hooligans took it out on BR carriages after they lost.

51414188027_bdd4589618_c.jpgrev ex LNER D11 62663 Prince Albert 800px by Sarah S1ddons, on Flickr

There was some excitement locally when spotters heard that silver stock would finally appear but it turned out to be new 1959 stock on a mileage accumulation run rather than the hoped-for A stock.

51415917505_a3c3c91a08_c.jpgrev 1959 stock 800px by Sarah S1ddons, on Flickr

One of my favourite layouts.
Lovely photos.
Regards,
Chris.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

And so my friends we come to Sat 9th Sept 1961, the last day of Met services to Aylesbury.  During the year, 3 versions of the tube map were issued, the last one to include Aylesbury was ref 561_1522Z.  All 3 issues in 1961 were the horrible Hutchison spiky designs.  We would have to wait until 1964 for the Paul Garbutt designs to appear, returning more to Beck style.

51437035245_5d64c00489_c.jpg1961 Tube Lines final with AYL by Sarah S1ddons, on Flickr

Sir Ralph Verney arrives at Mantles Wood with one of the final day’s workings.

51436069016_22bebb1fc0_c.jpgrev Sir Ralph Verney last day arrival 800px by Sarah S1ddons, on Flickr

London Midland managed to turn out a relatively clean Black 5 in the shape of 44691 to take the train forwards.

51436069036_3714d25fb5_c.jpgrev 44691 b 800px by Sarah S1ddons, on Flickr

A final look at Q stock awaiting return to London.

51437035480_db2b55b89d_c.jpgQ stock 800px by Sarah S1ddons, on Flickr

4MT 42259 comes to a halt, awaiting Sir Ralph Verney to take the stock forwards.

51436307338_bfe3e1a31a_c.jpgrev 42259 last day 800px by Sarah S1ddons, on Flickr

A last look at No3 Sir Ralph Verney as it heads homeward.  From published photos it seems that a pair of brakes on the end was by no means uncommon.  I’ve never seen an explanation but my assumption is that if they wanted to strengthen a rake, adding another brake with pickup shoe would be quicker than marshalling to insert another coach; it was desirable (essential?) to have a brake with pickup next to the loco to prevent gapping. 

51437035235_8ab198d61e_c.jpgrev Sir Ralph Verney last day departure 800px by Sarah S1ddons, on Flickr

And so the tube map was reissued later 1961 ref 561_1524Z and services north of Amersham would be but a memory…………..

51437035325_75a38e6b01_c.jpg1961 Tube Lines without AYL by Sarah S1ddons, on Flickr

• Like 12
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, Metr0Land said:

And so my friends we come to Sat 9th Sept 1961, the last day of Met services to Aylesbury.  During the year, 3 versions of the tube map were issued, the last one to include Aylesbury was ref 561_1522Z.  All 3 issues in 1961 were the horrible Hutchison spiky designs.  We would have to wait until 1964 for the Paul Garbutt designs to appear, returning more to Beck style.

51437035245_5d64c00489_c.jpg1961 Tube Lines final with AYL by Sarah S1ddons, on Flickr

Sir Ralph Verney arrives at Mantles Wood with one of the final day’s workings.

51436069016_22bebb1fc0_c.jpgrev Sir Ralph Verney last day arrival 800px by Sarah S1ddons, on Flickr

London Midland managed to turn out a relatively clean Black 5 in the shape of 44691 to take the train forwards.

51436069036_3714d25fb5_c.jpgrev 44691 b 800px by Sarah S1ddons, on Flickr

A final look at Q stock awaiting return to London.

51437035480_db2b55b89d_c.jpgQ stock 800px by Sarah S1ddons, on Flickr

4MT 42259 comes to a halt, awaiting Sir Ralph Verney to take the stock forwards.

51436307338_bfe3e1a31a_c.jpgrev 42259 last day 800px by Sarah S1ddons, on Flickr

A last look at No3 Sir Ralph Verney as it heads homeward.  From published photos it seems that a pair of brakes on the end was by no means uncommon.  I’ve never seen an explanation but my assumption is that if they wanted to strengthen a rake, adding another brake with pickup shoe would be quicker than marshalling to insert another coach; it was desirable (essential?) to have a brake with pickup next to the loco to prevent gapping. 

51437035235_8ab198d61e_c.jpgrev Sir Ralph Verney last day departure 800px by Sarah S1ddons, on Flickr

And so the tube map was reissued later 1961 ref 561_1524Z and services north of Amersham would be but a memory…………..

51437035325_75a38e6b01_c.jpg1961 Tube Lines without AYL by Sarah S1ddons, on Flickr

As usual, these photos ooze atmosphere.
As a very small boy, out in London with Mum and Dad , we ended up at Baker Street. It was right at the end of the 'Growlers'. I saw one of these locos, I cannot remember the name, I just remember this grumbling machine coming in on a train.
That started my love affair with the 'underground'.
Regards,
Chris.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Metr0land

Mantles Wood is superb modelling.  Top drawer. 

Made all the more interesting and resonant to me as my Father, Ray Wood drove the Panniers from Neasden. 

He's featured extensively in the photos in the book Red Panniers.  He's smiling down on your layout I can tell you.

Great modelling.  I love it.

Best regards

Matt Wood

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 09/09/2021 at 14:34, Sandhole said:

As usual, these photos ooze atmosphere.
As a very small boy, out in London with Mum and Dad , we ended up at Baker Street. It was right at the end of the 'Growlers'. I saw one of these locos, I cannot remember the name, I just remember this grumbling machine coming in on a train.
That started my love affair with the 'underground'.

I was also able to see a few of the last workings, although I don't think I got as far as Rickmansworth to watch the slick change of traction. But a friendly driver showed me inside a growler at Baker St. There didn't really seem to be much kit above the solebar, compared to the packed Brush Type 2 I had equally been walked through at Liverpool St the previous year! 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

18 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

I was also able to see a few of the last workings, although I don't think I got as far as Rickmansworth to watch the slick change of traction. But a friendly driver showed me inside a growler at Baker St. There didn't really seem to be much kit above the solebar, compared to the packed Brush Type 2 I had equally been walked through at Liverpool St the previous year! 

I remember walking through John Hamden at Neasden depot on the last LT Steam run.
You are right, there was very little inside the body.
Chris.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Metr0land

I keep coming back to marvel at your quality of work.  Just sublime.  I've just taken delivery of two Radley models 30 ton General Purpose open wagons - (superb service by Phil at Radley Models).   I have the stirrings of an idea - freelance and inspired by you sir.

Can I ask where your gorgeous brick and cast iron model footbridge came from ?  

Best regards

Matt Wood

• Thanks 1

Thank you. 

You know I thought it was the footbridge at the Warren.  Spent many an hour there watching trains. 

My Dad (foreman at Neasden Steam shed- see "Red Panniers") was known as Chunky, and spookily, that word is etched into the bridge at deck level, down side.  His aunt had a guesthouse in Dawlish and right up to the late 70s the family used to decamp from London and Aylesbury in our case, down to Dawlish for the annual summer holiday.  We used to stay at the Beach Hotel on Marine Parade after she sold her guest house.

Thanks again.

Matt Wood

• Informative/Useful 1

• 8 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Read all about it!  Mantles Wood is being featured in the Sept issue of BRM, on news-stands Fri 12th August.  The cover doesn’t feature my layout:

Edit: link removed as it no longer applies

However I did get the inside back cover of the August edition:

52269094389_0187820ea2_b.jpgMantles Wood Aug22 BRM001 by Sarah S1ddons, on Flickr

Edited by Metr0Land
  • Like 9
  • Round of applause 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A new loco has joined the stable at Mantles Wood (an ex-Metropolitan Railway F Class) and fills a gap in the fleet.  This has been made by adding a 3D-printed body to the loco chassis of an Oxford Rail Dean Goods.  (The loco body came with the trailing wheelset). 

52301997577_a64f11280b_c.jpgrev F Class front 800px by Sarah S1ddons, on Flickr

52303476780_527dd35bfa_c.jpgrev F Class side 800px by Sarah S1ddons, on Flickr

52303476755_e53ae78fea_c.jpgrev F Class standby loco 800px by Sarah S1ddons, on Flickr

52301997592_78eba19993_c.jpgrev F Class servicing point 800px by Sarah S1ddons, on Flickr

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, A Murphy said:

Lovely. 👍

I am also a huge fan of your C13, is that from the Nu-cast kit?

Best wishes,

Alastair

Thanks.  The C13 is the OO Works RTR one.  I had to buy a 2nd hand LNER one and repaint it. They only made 200 back in 2013(?) so you have to look for 2nd hand ones.

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

This autumn I bought a Q38 driving car so I could have variations with my 4-car Q stock set.  Since when, Phil Radley has passed, and I’ve had a spell in hospital (just 24 hours but still recovering), so I haven’t had a chance to work on the Q38 at all.

This update is just on other projects, two more Black 5’s (making a total of four as befits a Great Central layout) a ‘French’ or ‘cupboard door’ 16T mineral wagon to make a change from all the other more normal 16T wagons, and a Blue Pullman kitchen car conversion.  Someone is now doing 3D printed conversions to make a kitchen car and also some variations of parlour cars as Triang only made the one parlour car.

52597481632_262216ca01_c.jpgrev 44760 800px by Sarah S1ddons, on Flickr

52598491423_af93e5c4c3_c.jpgrev Black Five 45147 side 800px by Sarah S1ddons, on Flickr

52598234274_158f70e79d_c.jpgrev 'French' 16 tonner 800px by Sarah S1ddons, on Flickr

52598400625_b842d80e47_c.jpgrev Blue Pullman kitchen car 800px by Sarah S1ddons, on Flickr

• Like 13

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just a little update to show I’m still in the land of the living.  I’d been wanting a Fowler 4P 2-6-4 tank to complete the Chiltern local roster.  These weren’t as common as some other 2-6-4’s but certainly not rare either.  I’d been waiting for a reasonably priced example to come up for auction.  In the event 42315 was reasonably priced, nicely weathered and in addition had actually been shedded at Willesden and Neasden in the 50’s.  She just needs a lamp, replacement steam pipe, dummy screw link coupling on front and some crew.

52706583729_3bb1e90edd_c.jpgrev 42315 800px by Sarah S1ddons, on Flickr

About 18 months ago Sonic Models (a new entrant and available via Rails of Sheffield) announced an ex-LNER A5.  My wallet heaved a sigh of relief as the A5’s departed from Neasden on the early 50’s and before my timeframe which starts at 1956.  Then I discovered 69801 returned to Neasden April 1956 in connection with some celebrations of the opening of the GW/GC joint line.  She’s quite a chunky beast and gives me yet another type of large tank loco.  It’ll need renumbering, weathering, crew, coal and dummy screw-link coupling.  Oddly the lamps are moulded-on in express lamp code, so they will need to be changed to a local lamp code. Others have said they will be changing theirs so I’ll wait and see just how they do it before I start surgery.

52706820678_a82e21edb3_c.jpgrev 69804 800px by Sarah S1ddons, on Flickr

Edited by Metr0Land
  • Like 13

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Mantles Wood finally has a Chesham set!  I was never going to build a brass 3-car set, so knew once a 3-car set would be available RTR  it was a ‘must have’.

With Rapido bringing out an E class loco that will be 2 huge gaps in the roster filled.

53113902413_a119b194bd_b.jpgrev Chesham set a by Sarah S1ddons, on Flickr

53113818770_f0f34877f9_b.jpgrev Chesham set b by Sarah S1ddons, on Flickr

• Like 12