What are the better US/NA model/railroading forums?

Allegheny1600

Posted with agreement of Andy Y. and Trisonic!

Hi All,

I am happy with RMweb's North American content, especially with there being quite a few NA residents contributing but, . . .

Sometimes I would like to read about exclusive NA content, basement empires, what's happening lineside and so forth, so my question is pretty much as the title says really;

Plus, is there a NA equal to RMweb, please?

I've heard of a few, "Big Blue" and "Model Railroader", I remember doing a search a while back and getting inundated with sites, some you have to pay for, some exclusivly for one type of 'modelling' (3 rail 0 scale!) [ugh! SO not interested in that!]

I also am aware that there are various Yahoo groups for different railroads and of course, there are also Line Societies.

What are your favourites please? And if you don't mind, why?

Cheers,

John E.

Jason Shron of Rapido fame hosts a forum CanModelTrains on Yahoo, unfortunately its on Yahoo with the associated ads which are not relevant to modelling. If you can put up with the ads it is a good source of information.

Cheers,

David

My impressions of the three I frequent occasionally (is that an oxymoron?)

Big Blue - good quality, lacking in quantity

Atlas Rescue Forum - good for learning about RTR releases, some knowledgeable people and some strongly opinionated ones

Railroad Line Forum - some very skilled modelling, lots craftman kit builds, tends towards older prototypes

I also inhabit the N-scale forum on TrainBoard. It has a wide range of for a covering various scales, prototype information, and the like. Various manufacturers' representatives are active on there (people from Rapido, Atlas, MTL, and other smaller manufacturers post in the N-scale forum)

http://www.trainboard.com/highball/index.php

Adrian

Yahoo groups has lots of specialized forums.

Model Railroader has a good general forum and there is a partner forum for Trains magazine.

Model Railroad Hobbyist is a free online magazine that has a very extensive forum.

Railroad Line is a lot more craftsman oriented. 

Big Blue is a more general forum.

Jason Shron of Rapido fame hosts a forum CanModelTrains on Yahoo, unfortunately its on Yahoo with the associated ads which are not relevant to modelling. If you can put up with the ads it is a good source of information.

Cheers,

David

There is a lot of stuff on Yahoo groups ( https://groups.yahoo.com/neo ) and while a lot of people do find the web interface terrible if you are willing you can instead participate in those groups via email and eliminate most of the annoyance.

My impressions of the three I frequent occasionally (is that an oxymoron?)

Big Blue - good quality, lacking in quantity

Atlas Rescue Forum - good for learning about RTR releases, some knowledgeable people and some strongly opinionated ones

Railroad Line Forum - some very skilled modelling, lots craftman kit builds, tends towards older prototypes

Add the Small Layout Design groups on Yahoo - if you can cope with the carppy, upgraded interface - the old version was much better.

Train Orders.com - paid for, but some excellent modelling and vast heaps of prototype info and photos - well worth the investment IMHO - I've been a member for a good number of years and not found any reason to drop it.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived