Locomotion FGW Class 43 'Harry Patch' - 'We will remember them'

Andy Y

I only bought them recently so I would think they must be the latest batch. The buffet car in the picture is R4371A but the other coaches are all the same colour. I think I am correct in saying the older batch buffet would have been R4371 (without the 'A').

Alex wrote: Basically it's finished, just waiting for Brush works plates and Nameplates from Shawplan now.

Nothing about cast nameplates for Harry on Shawplan's site, and speaking to another cast plate maker, detail too fine to be done in 4mm...

Does anyone know if nameplates are being made? They would set it off beautifully...

John

Right, here we go! A few snaps to show what a little work can do, hope you like. Not great quality pics but just to show you.

Basically it's finished, just waiting for Brush works plates and Nameplates from Shawplan now.

What I've done; Painted the bodyside grilles silver. Painted the missing aluminium strip around the guards windows. Picked out underframe detail in assoc colours. And the thing that makes the biggest difference, I've blended in the outer edges of the printing with black by hand with the airbrush. This is most noticeable around the cab, it blends straight into the black nicely now without the obvious printing line. Funnily enough it was easier than I thought, but still it took some care. 

attachicon.gifIMG_4089.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_4094.jpg

One other thing I found is that the body didn't sit 100% flush on the chassis at the cab end. This is due to these two screws, they've increased in size from previous releases and now touch the revised circuit board and prevent a flush fit. I removed them as they are not required. But for safe keeping I added a drop of superglue to the panel. Hey presto the body fits as it should!

attachicon.gifIMG_4088.jpg

If anyone wants theirs doing as above, feel free to get in touch I'm happy to do them. I'll add some pics of it on a rake soon. 

Alex

Such subtle yet superb results on this power car! Well done to you Alex :good: I'd love to send mine to you after the festive period for your magic touch if you have time to do so... It'd be nice to see a picture of this pulling a full rake too!

Cheers,

Shoey

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps I'm just expecting too much but I think you'll agree that there is definitely a difference.

Just as Mick is to Yellow, FGW is to my heart and something I've been modelling for a few years now.

I have to say though that it has been rather noticeable on nearly all of Hornby's FGW stock that the shade of Blue is different on nearly each batch - The original and very first batch of FGW HSTs looked perfect - The Dynamic Lines looked full, bright and almost as bold as the real thing. Since then, the blue has become lighter and flatter, and the Dynamic Lines have unfortunately become more washed and fuzzy out on some of the recent Mk3 releases. I hope that this isn't a sign of future things to come from Hornby!

As the RTR manufacturers go, I think Bachmann has produced the best version of what is known as FGWs 'Golden Wonder Blue'.Dynamic Lines wise, I would say that Dominic at Marston Parkway / Cotswold Trains has produced the best, highest quality reproductions and worth the effort of replacing Hornby's fuzzy efforts with these.

http://www.marstonparkway.org.uk/10.html

Here's a few pictures for comparison. The FGW 153 will however be treated to a roof repaint in the new year as the shade of grey is far to light for the real thing - The only disappointment on an otherwise rather good model! And apologies for the sideways pictures, I'm not having much luck uploading tonight for some reason.

post-7515-0-67532300-1451424192_thumb.jpg

post-7515-0-49896800-1451425354.jpg

post-7515-0-00767300-1451425357.jpg

post-7515-0-33725100-1451425358.jpg

post-7515-0-53852900-1451425360.jpg

post-7515-0-24081300-1451425362.jpg

post-7515-0-04034500-1451425364.jpg

post-7515-0-67823300-1451425365.jpg

post-7515-0-10608100-1451425368_thumb.jpg

post-7515-0-61022400-1451425374.jpg

I was almost tempted by the cheap stock and upcoming power cars but I feel Hornby have almost got away with murder on this release - as you say every release has bee a different blue and more to the point - the quality of the printing of the dynamic lines is actually really poor and substandard

I'm shocked at the colour difference that Hornby have used on each release of their FGW fleet. This is the very first batch of FGW power cars Hornby released - product code R2812X. I personally think that this shade of blue is pretty much spot on!

post-27853-0-90938600-1451501857_thumb.jpeg

My problem with Hornby and the FGW Blue business, is that there's not even any consistency between batches - In my picture above, the TGS & (Roof Vent Less) Buffet are both this years releases, both available in my local Modelzone back in April of this year. Despite being from the same release, you can clearly see that the TGS is much darker than the Buffet. I looked at the only out of the box Sleeper I have this morning (The rest of mine are all modified repaints) and put it next to one of this years Mk3s and even that is a slightly different shade of blue. No I know rolling stock will slightly fade over time, but FGWs Fleet to me has always been rather well presented, and they do keep on top of the repaints fairly often - as we can see with the Mk3s going to and returning from Kilmarnock!

Nice weathering on the PCs there Shoey!

• RMweb Premium

Clockwise from top left-

Realtrack 143, Hornby HST power car from the 'Harry Patch' set, Hornby 153, Hornby HST coach from later batch, coach from my FGW sleeper set (painted in Pheonix Precision 'First Group Blue', with transfers from the supplier mentioned in post #162), Bachmann 150.

I've put them all in the same pics to hopefully prevent any desrepencies with light or camera settings, etc.

I don't think the Hornby colour has the depth or lustre of the prototype.

Cheers,

Phil.

post-4971-0-06698300-1451519193_thumb.jpg

post-4971-0-69646800-1451519199_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Archived