Locomotion FGW Class 43 'Harry Patch' - 'We will remember them'

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

Theres always some chancer, the question is whether there is someone daft enough to pay that for it when its readily available.

Looks like it's sold.............

Cheers,

Mick

Mine arrived today ! Really pleased with it. Lovely surprise this being announced last Friday, well done to all at Hornby, Locomotion & FGW for making this happen so quickly. A new standard has been set !

22928183615_55a971ef4a_z.jpg1

Cheers

Marcus

Haven't seen the real one yet, despite the fact it goes past my office window every day! Of course, I don't spend all day at work gazing out of the window...

What I really need to do is to see it on a westbound journey (possibly as I'm walking to work), then I can figure out what time it's due back from RTT and be in position for a photo!

• RMweb Premium

Looks fantastic (even better than the publicity image which I presume was a pre-production photo) - a little silver on the grille and around the rear window, and a couple of little splashes of yellow on the bogies / under gubbins and it will match perfectly the photos of the prototype from naming day.

I presume that the First Great Western legend was on the original design, but was omitted from the actual power car due to the GWR rebranding.

I don't envy anyone producing a limited edition model before the prototype has appeared.

Who is going to be the first person who dares to amend a £200 model?

Geoff Endacott

Guilty. Installed DCC Sound, driver and extremely light weathering - hint of brake dust plus one pass of dilute track dirt, only to subframe, just to bring out the relief. Nothing above the tumblehome. Possibly my best loco, ever. 

• RMweb Premium

Guilty. Installed DCC Sound, driver and extremely light weathering - hint of brake dust plus one pass of dilute track dirt, only to subframe, just to bring out the relief. Nothing above the tumblehome. Possibly my best loco, ever.

Any chance of a wee video or some pics?

Got mine yesterday after ordering saturday morning over the phone, very fast. Well done to all concerned, and this is possibly one of the best kept secrets of late.

Nice to see Hornby have modified the tooling to create the revised exhaust deflectors too, this was done in real life so that the silencers can be removed without having to remove the deflector. VTEC NR and XC have dispensed with deflectors altogether now as the MTUs don't really need them. 

Anyway, theres quite a few little niggles to sort out on the model, i.e; usual Hornby factory 'touch ups' around the cab window (the windscreens have been pushed home without due care and the clips have damaged the paint on their way in, but I've sorted this by popping the screens out and touching in the yellow before refitting. Easy enough as they're not glued in.

Looking at photos, the silver grilles have been omitted, presumably too difficult to paint well. So this is on the list to do and will make a big difference. 

The 'First Great Western' branding shouldn't be there. - a side effect from working off artwork before the real thing exists, so fair play I guess and it doesn't bother me too much so I might leave it, as removal will definitely cause damage to the surrounding printing.

Both the corridor connections were poorly removed from the sprue, being quite butchered on the inner edges. No problem for me as I have some in the spares box and they just unclip and swap over. 

The printing quality isn't great I have to say, being fuzzy and far from crisp, but I can live with it. One little thing which makes a big difference is touching up the top cantrail edge in black where the bodysides meet the grilles. This has been overprinted but it should be black- easy fix.

The not so easy fix is correcting the 'blend' of the vinyls to the rest of the bodysides, particularly where they meet the cab and around the bodyside grille. Hornby's printing is more of a dark brown instead of black at the edges and theres an obvious line where it ends, with traces of white undercoat visible maybe. So I'm going to mask off and blend in satin black with the airbrush to try and sort this out as I feel it'd look 100% better. I'd better get the 'fine' airbrush needle out!!

I'll post some pics up when I've finished it, along with the usual underframe details picking out in the appropriate colours.  

The lights seem more effective than my other FGW PCs, and running is faultless. Nice to see the silver disc brake inserts back too!

Anyway, irrespective of these little niggles it's a great thing to have, and will hopefully go some way in quenching the huge shortage of FGW blue power cars. And I'm sure they'll sell out for several reasons besides that if they haven't already done so. 

They look great on my full rake running round the club layout, but I've noticed the FGW blue on 43154 is unfortunately several shades lighter than all previous releases, so I'll probably use one of my first release PCs instead. 

Anyway, nice one Locomotion, and Simon. Have pre-ordered the NRM VTEC set, I hope Hornby are planning some VTEC coaches! 

The 'First Great Western' branding shouldn't be there. - a side effect from working off artwork before the real thing exists, so fair play I guess and it doesn't bother me too much so I might leave it, as removal will definitely cause damage to the surrounding printing.

Sorry to be a pickle, but thank you for your extensive moan on a superb model. Please do check your facts are 100% right if you wish to knock a good thing as I do not like incorrect reviews. You shall see the FGW branding is very clearly on the prototype: https://www.flickr.com/photos/greatwesternrailwayphotos/22666300860/

Thanks Locomotion for this model, I am utterly delighted with mine. Between this announcement and the LTM S-Stock I am very much re-energized and excited about the way the hobby is going. I think the surprise liveries are not over yet!

I don't get it - £50 markup, while models are still available frm Locomotion at the original price...

Bizzare is it not. As only eBay fees and Paypal fees are removed, profit is less then £10!

• RMweb Gold

I don't get it - £50 markup, while models are still available frm Locomotion at the original price...

This,I'm afraid,is the "usual" and has been occurring with monotonous regularity for several years with successive Locomotion releases.It is regrettably not illegal .For some of us it is distasteful ....but not for all. I remember being told on this forum when the same thing happened after the release of the L&Y tank that it was "fair game" and there was nothing wrong in profiteering.Doubtless you and others will make your own mind up on that score

• RMweb Gold

The photo you refer to clearly shows FGW below the name plate as per the previous link. Not sure what you mean?

Yes I was wondering if the job hadn't been done properly on the real thing or if it was ham-fisted photoshopping as you can see the fgw.

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to be a pickle, but thank you for your extensive moan on a superb model. Please do check your facts are 100% right if you wish to knock a good thing as I do not like incorrect reviews. You shall see the FGW branding is very clearly on the prototype: https://www.flickr.com/photos/greatwesternrailwayphotos/22666300860/

Thanks Locomotion for this model, I am utterly delighted with mine. Between this announcement and the LTM S-Stock I am very much re-energized and excited about the way the hobby is going. I think the surprise liveries are not over yet!

Bizzare is it not. As only eBay fees and Paypal fees are removed, profit is less then £10!

I'm sorry you take offence at Alex's post. I think you have indulged yourself in a dose of overreaction. I see this a  constructive critique of a model which he himself sees...if you care to read it properly......as very fine indeed.What you might not appreciate is that he is in his own right an extremely talented modeller with a keen eye and sound judgement whose opinion ,especially on modern image,matters.

• RMweb Premium

Mine's arrived today, it's a lovely looking thing !!

Mine won't be altered in any way, but it will definitely be used.  :)

Thank you to all concerned with the production of this model.

Cheers,

Phil.

I stand corrected, the FGW branding is there but very feint silver and only visible close up with no reflection. Found a decent shot of it at Paddington. It's white on the model which makes it more visible, however it should be level with the bottom of the guards comp handrail. The Brush works plates are also missing from both PCs as per all previous refurb models, a nice little addition from Shawplan to sort that! 

Believe me some of the quality issues that have befouled some of the more recent HST power cars shows these are pretty good indeed. Build quality is seemingly back up to where it used to be five years ago, big pat on the back for Hornby there, a year ago build quality had fallen well and truly flat on it's face. So things are looking up.

No offence intended, just an honest critical eye and decided to put my two penneth on here. If I can't find anything wrong with a model then it's really VERY good indeed  :rolleyes: lol

And as for eBay, the original FGW blue PCs fetch up to £600. So I imagine they'll drop after this release. However long term it wouldn't surprise me if 172/154 reach similar heights if not more, as there are only 500 pieces as opposed to at least 1k of the original release. 

Clearly shown in the photo.

It's not clear (for everyone), in fact on this monitor and my settings its visibility depends on the angle of viewing, again you're just coming across as a bit rude.

• RMweb Gold

It's not clear (for everyone), in fact on this monitor and my settings its visibility depends on the angle of viewing, again you're just coming across as a bit rude.

On my monitor it's an eyesight test. If it weren't for the yellow box around it I'd say it wasn't there.

Archived