Locomotion FGW Class 43 'Harry Patch' - 'We will remember them'

Andy Y

Right, here we go! A few snaps to show what a little work can do, hope you like. Not great quality pics but just to show you.

Basically it's finished, just waiting for Brush works plates and Nameplates from Shawplan now.

What I've done; Painted the bodyside grilles silver. Painted the missing aluminium strip around the guards windows. Picked out underframe detail in assoc colours. And the thing that makes the biggest difference, I've blended in the outer edges of the printing with black by hand with the airbrush. This is most noticeable around the cab, it blends straight into the black nicely now without the obvious printing line. Funnily enough it was easier than I thought, but still it took some care. 

post-9660-0-84721300-1447337304_thumb.jpgpost-9660-0-91201100-1447337340_thumb.jpg

One other thing I found is that the body didn't sit 100% flush on the chassis at the cab end. This is due to these two screws, they've increased in size from previous releases and now touch the revised circuit board and prevent a flush fit. I removed them as they are not required. But for safe keeping I added a drop of superglue to the panel. Hey presto the body fits as it should!

post-9660-0-51494800-1447337271.jpg

If anyone wants theirs doing as above, feel free to get in touch I'm happy to do them. I'll add some pics of it on a rake soon. 

Alex

This set looks most attractive. However I get the impression that the catering vehicles are not currently available. Is this true?

Regards

They are, but if you still can't find any. . wonderful world of trains and planes at birmingham have full sets of the latest FGW coaches. The tinted glazing ones. 

Also one on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-R4371A-First-Great-Western-FGW-Buffet-Restaurant-Coach-00-Gauge-/141825788970?hash=item210579cc2a:g:FHoAAOSw5VFWI49e

This came as a shock to me, and my wallet! I hadn`t planed on extending my model era to 2015 but i could not resist this. Well Done Locomotion, Hornby and FGW .

Also had to order a rake of stock including a buffet from Kernow.

The retailers have done tidily out of this, as evident above... I have successfully concealed from Domestic Management that I ended up purchasing a Mk 3 FGW Buffet from Hornby and a rake of TGS, TSO x2 FO x2 from Hattons. Wondering about pushing my luck and sourcing lighting so as better to see the Noch passengers I have installed... 

• RMweb Gold

Mine arrived yesterday - great service! ...... however.. the dummy power car isn't so great. There's a mark on the right hand side between the rear door and the grill due to the packaging rubbing the body side) and the paint on the front of the cab is faded compared to the rest of the body  :mad: Has anyone else noticed that the deflector is a different colour blue too?

I spoke to Sandra at Locomotion and they're going to swap it over  :dance_mini:  :dance_mini: Can't complain at that!!

Mine arrived yesterday - great service! ...... however.. the dummy power car isn't so great. There's a mark on the right hand side between the rear door and the grill due to the packaging rubbing the body side) and the paint on the front of the cab is faded compared to the rest of the body  :mad: Has anyone else noticed that the deflector is a different colour blue too?

I spoke to Sandra at Locomotion and they're going to swap it over  :dance_mini:  :dance_mini: Can't complain at that!!

The little polystyrene packing pieces rub through and damage the finish to varying degrees, it's the glue that fixes them to the tissue paper which makes them hard. Would be better off without them! All my recent sets that had this issue, it was rubbed off with a damp cloth and 'polished up'. But I've seen some that have gone through the paint properly and ruined the finish. Easily fixed with some satin varnish but not really the sort of thing you should have to mess around with. Might be worth an email to Hornby to highlight it.

Glad they're swapping it anyway, they swapped a faulty DELTIC I had, top service. 

Mines just turned up - slight marking as reported above on the dummy power car but nothing serious, actually looks like a bit of very light weathering from a passing bird or two. The deflector does look different colour, presumably its caused by the base colour of this (metal?) part being different. The fit of the power car seems okay. The foam pads seem to be stuck on the tissue by sticky tape and I've managed to peel them off the issue with tape still on the pads.

Mines just turned up - slight marking as reported above on the dummy power car but nothing serious, actually looks like a bit of very light weathering from a passing bird or two. The deflector does look different colour, presumably its caused by the base colour of this (metal?) part being different. The fit of the power car seems okay. The foam pads seem to be stuck on the tissue by sticky tape and I've managed to peel them off the issue with tape still on the pads.

Interesting, mine were glued. 

And yes, the deflectors are brass and pre painted. The previous FGW PCs had the same. Normally don't notice as they're black!

• RMweb Gold

Sandra is aware of the packaging marks now so they may be able to do something on the next batch. 

I actually wish ALL retailers were as helpful as Locomotion - I recently purchased a Dapol FGW HST from another 'reputable' retailer who made me pay the postage to return a faulty item  :nono:

Sandra is aware of the packaging marks now so they may be able to do something on the next batch. 

I actually wish ALL retailers were as helpful as Locomotion - I recently purchased a Dapol FGW HST from another 'reputable' retailer who made me pay the postage to return a faulty item  :nono:

I think that's against Distance Selling Regulations (obviously I don't know the specific details of your situation):

"Any terms and conditions that say you must cover the cost of returning an item wouldn’t apply where the goods being returned are faulty."

Source: http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/distance-selling-regulations

Ed

• RMweb Premium

Free postage?

Oops - just bought something else that was free postage that confused me............... post duly amended.

Having said that - it's less from Locomotion than the £10 requested from the ebay seller.

Cheers,

Mick

Archived