Signalling an LMS branch terminus

Guest stuartp

Before suggesting a layout, how ae you going to run round your incoming trains ? You need an engine release crossover between your two platform lines, the run-round near the locoshed is too short to cope with anything longer than 1 or 2 vans. In fact I might go so far as to suggest that, as drawn, the right hand crossover is redundant.

Stuartp, like the Foden refueller is it Avtag or Avtur?

This design is fairly fancyful due to space, i did start with an up and down line however the radius for what was going to be the inner curve was far too tight. Its an L shaped layout and the single track then runs straight into the fiddle yard for end to end operation.

I could say that since it is post war era there was an air raid which destroyed half the station and track and that this was the result of the rebuild which was authorised by a junior minister named Beeching.

The trains will be tank hauled two coaches with some small goods, when the train arrives a tank off the turntable or shed is brought in to take the departing train away. The arriving loco then backs off the platform to be turned and serviced ready for the next departure which i have read was prototypical operation at some terminus plus it gives some operation and movement.

The layout design is to make it interesting but also allow for some scenery rather than just track. I was going too model a prototypical station for which i have plenty of resource material and track plans unfortunately it was a bit ambitious and i would of only got away with it in Z scale!

I beleive i may will start signals on platform? but the approach i ain't got a clue.

• RMweb Gold

I would suggest a three arm home signal to control entry to the platforms. A starter for each on the platforms together with a calling on signal for each to control access to the turntable ( those on the island platform would be a bracket signal) I would also use some ground signals to control access from the turntable to the platforms. If there is room I would put an advanced starter and outer home on the main . If there is no room ( at least one train length from the home signal) I would at least assume they were there ( possible repeaters on the panel?).

This may not be correct but with the compact layout would look plausible (except to signalling experts).

Donw

Guest stuartp

Thanks ! It's Avtur I think, it's to go on a diorama with a couple of Phantoms so I think that should be Avtur ? The Hazchem stickers say Avtur but I pinched them off the Airfix Tactical Refueller !

Have a bash at this - it's pretty much what Don said but with the ground signals drawn in. On the platform signals I've drawn miniature arms as Don suggests and ground discs, which would also be correct, use one or the other though - not both !

The yellow disc reading from the turn table can be passed in the 'on' position for a move straight ahead (ie towards the red disc), but must be cleared for a move to the left onto the running lines. The red disc reading out of the sidings should really have a trap point protecting the running lines but I doubt you'll have room looking at the diagram. A dummy set filed up from bits of old rail will do fine, or just leave it off. Some discs can read onto several routes - you could provide a disc for each route or a route indicator for each disc, but you could also have single discs and rely on drivers' route knowledge to know which moves they apply to. Any other shunting moves would be controlled by handsignals from the box (you need a box by the way !).

Your approach is not unlike Stranraer with a single line leading onto a three-platform terminus. Principle differences at Stranraer were two through sidings between the platform roads and more sidings/crossovers beyond the station (i.e. off to the left on your diagram).

post-270-126735447555_thumb.jpg

Archived