The Taddington branch of the LNWR

• RMweb Gold

I like what you’ve done so far with the Hudswell Clarke Argos. I’ve done something similar to my own; I found changing the smoke box door hinge makes a big difference in its own right. IIRC, I also changed the chimney (not sure of the origin though as it came out the spares box) and fitted Slaters pre-group buffers (the round base parallel ones) - just little things to give it a slightly different look to the rest of them.

I’ve contemplated moving the sandboxes to the footplate, but without access to a lathe etc I didn’t fancy trying to do it by hand.

Really must get on and finish mine off properly now.

I think the green livery will suit nicely, and as you say a nice contrast to the LNWR black.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Neil,

The chimney isn't that far off the biggest issue is the large join line and the fact the the profiles are different either side of the join.

The prototype did have this join but it was far more subtle.

post-13616-0-79889800-1536786066.png

A bit of time spent with some filler and grit paper should sort that.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I am away from home (if you can wait until Saturday, I still can), otherwise would send you a copy, but I think it may been issue 31 or so.

The copy of MRJ 31 I found for a couple of quid on ebay dropped through the letter box this morning and it is most illuminating, so thanks for that information Regularity.

Like most editions of MRJ it's a great read even though most of the articles have little relevance to what I'm modelling.

The layout is a model of Ashburton which has to most the modelled of any real location (unless anyone can suggest otherwise?)

The drawing of the Hudswell Clarke is interesting, whilst more detailed than the one in the Easingwold Railway book and does detail the rivets, it doesn't detail all the rivets, missing some lines that are clearly visible in some of the photos.

Still, the details help and there is a blown up drawing of the marine bearing coupling rods ends and joints which will be of great assistance should I pluck up the courage to tackle these.

I think Easingwold No.2 was supplied in 1903.  I believe the cab was as per your picture when built, in which case it must be a relatively early example of the more enclosed cab.  I don't know when the cut-off point was for the old cab-style, but it was still in production in 1895.

I do not know whether this was a standard cab, or peculiar to the Easingwold.  Evidence of similar Hudswell cabs in the early 1900s might settle the matter.

The article in MRJ also contains some historical data which answers this question. Work number 465 was the first of the 13" tanks built with new cab and bunker and this has build date of 29-01-97. The last build with old cab is no 440 built on 27-03-96.

If I assume my mythical prototype was the first build with the new cab and built just after 440 then I have a slight time anomaly with my set date of 1894.

Mind you the 910 tank I've built wasn't out shopped until November that year so the anomaly is only 16 months.

I can live with that!

I'll also have to re-examine why I chose 1894, it might be possible to fast forward a few years, I suspect one of the engines I want to model in the future disappeared form the area in 1894.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I hereby submit my application to join the Guild of Rivet Counters.....

post-13616-0-10367300-1537120174_thumb.jpg

post-13616-0-54876400-1537120210_thumb.jpg

post-13616-0-29920400-1537120249_thumb.jpg

In truth I would be rejected, I'm using Archer's and Micromark rivet decals which whilst close, the decals don't match the spacing perfectly.

I'm fine with this as I am not modelling No 2 form the Easingwold Railway so not trying to produce a slavish copy rather an earlier example of this loco.

The photos represent this afternoon's work, only one side and the smokebox to go!

Edited by Argos
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Looks good:

https://www.gnbooks.co.uk/product/the-golden-age-of-yorkshire-railways/

Picture number 5.

It’s a very rare photo: the cab doors are open on virtually every picture. As Iain Rice mused, the crew were either fresh-air fiends or perpetually prepared to jump ship...

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Regularity,

That's the picture I've been working to for the LH cab side as it's the best one.

The rivet look small in that picture, but on close up photographs they are quite sizable.

There are  some great photos on that link but that GNR railcar was ugly!

• RMweb Gold

Hi Regularity,

The door looked like a locally cobbled together item from wood, I do wonder how much protection it would have given anyway! 

A bit more work done tonight:-

post-13616-0-00105500-1537217837_thumb.jpg

The new smokebox door darts are fitted, another area where the drawing appears wrong, they are drawn too short in comparison to the photos.

I've also got rid of the front sandboxes below the footplate and the access lids on the footplate.

I was dreading cutting off the sandboxes but having bitten the bullet and got on with it, it proved relatively simple.

Steady cutting with a piercing saw and a quick clean up with a file was all that was needed.

I did take care to wrap the motor and gears in masking tape first to ensure no swarf from the cutting process got in.

I wonder if my warranty is still valid?  :no:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Regularity,

The door looked like a locally cobbled together item from wood, I do wonder how much protection it would have given anyway! 

Since it was always open, I do wonder why they went to all that trouble.

• RMweb Gold

Early starts and latish finishes at work have kept me away from the workbench but I've still made some progress.

The smokebox and chimney has been riveted and painted:-

post-13616-0-76043000-1537732575_thumb.jpg

post-13616-0-02525600-1537732612_thumb.jpg

The lighting makes the finish in the last picture look at lot worse than it is.

Still, I think i'm going to re-coat in a very dark grey (black let down with a little gun metal).

I've also primed the tank:-

post-13616-0-87077700-1537732746_thumb.jpg

I need to attack this some more as the molded three-penny bit effect can still be seen.

This couldn't be discerned in the raw plastic only becoming apparent once primed.

Still better found now than once the finishing coat is applied.

• Like 7

• 10 months later...

I wish I had found this thread earlier.   I am about done building a 7mm Ramsbottom 4' shunter.    I was tripped up by the too short break standard.   I am now torn by the idea of tearing it out and scratchbuilding a taller replacement.   Lots of good reading otherwise!    And I'm jealous that you found a special tank...

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Bluestag,

All my modelling focus has been on my 2mm stuff of late.

I do keep walking past the remnants of Taddington in the garage and think that I must do something with it.

Then there is the silent calling from underneath the workbench of the special tank..........build me.........build me.............build me.............

Edited by Argos
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 months later...

Hi 

I've just been re reading your thread have you seen the photo of the four wheeled brake coach on Ian Rathbones Web site interestingly it doesn't have a window in the guards door

Rather nice 

John 

Edited by Coal Tank

• 2 months later...
On 25/11/2015 at 18:36, Penlan said:

Argos, info in my edit, otherwise PM me.

The ref. for the photo showing the Brake gear - which is circa 1860, but evidently still in place circa 1900 is HMRS V2760, but searching the HMRS's photo data base shows nothing available.

Incidently I think the Ogee panel says LNWR XXX (new line) BREAK VAN.

In respect of the brass kit you have, I would have thought the guards door would have had a drop down window in it.  There's this well known photo of one at Coventry.. OK not very good view of the guards door, but I believe it to have a drop down glazed window.

I don't know if the small end windows in the end of Bob's Van or my model were there in passenger traffic days or not, some of the early Joseph Wright copy drawings I have do have this style of small window in the end with a brake compartment - The drawings were in the Birmingham Library Archives some 40 + years ago and I had micro filmed copies, the prints are A1 size or larger.

Looking at some of the well known late Victorian views of Birmingham New Street, the circa 1880's end brake coaches do have the small windows on the end to the guards compt.,  Annoyingly I can't find my copies of Richard Foster's History of Brum New St. where I could quote the references.
There is this circa 1870 view of an earlier brake end coach 

post-6979-0-29275700-1448473861_thumb.jpg

post-6979-0-09637700-1448475803.jpg

Hi on the brake coach there are two strips that go across the roof over the guards ogee does anyone know what the measurements are 

John 

Edited by Coal Tank

• 9 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Neil,

Thanks, I'm glad you've got some enjoyment from the thread.

I am currently focused on my 2mm scale modelling and this is likely to continue for the next couple of years as I have couple of layouts underway.

Following the soaking that the boards got I've now scrapped all of them, even the original Three Shires Head board had to go as this was sagging between the framing leading to derailments.

I  still have the framework and most of the trackwork was salvageable so would be a quick job to relay.

I may just rebuild this section, or might build another idea that I've kicking around for a while, time will tell.

Angus

• Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold

Hi Angus,

Sorry to heat about what happened to the original Three Shires Head boards - glad to hear that the track work was mostly salvageable though. 

I shall have to check out your 2mm scale projects in the meantime. 

Neil

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The Taddington branch was the reason I started posting on RM because I enjoy reading of Angus's experience modelling a part of the world I have always loved. Couple that with pre-grouping rolling stock that was different to most of RTR stuff and I was hooked. I would dearly  like to see the Taddington branch arise from the ashes.

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1