The Taddington branch of the LNWR

Well, it's all comparative I suppose. I am not an engineer, unlike many modellers. Nor am I a great artist. I do what I do, and as long as I enjoy it I am reasonably happy. But I am not deluded. It's no use me telling everyone I'm brilliant at this modelling lark, because I know I'm not. I'm OK at best. I can't (for example) paint a coach like Coachmann or build a loco like Tony Wright, and to pretend otherwise would just make me look silly.

I can't write symphonies, play for Manchester City, or open the batting for Lancashire either. But I can still enjoy music, football and cricket.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I agree,  I don't want my models perfectly built by professionals, I want to enjoy building them myself.

I know they will never be perfect but I am happy to live with the imperfections as I learn and develop my skills.

They are a reminder of that process and illustrate the improvement.

Interestingly  I found I have all my OO models from my youth that I repainted or adapted.

They are "mine".

All the pristine R-T-R stuff I had is long since gone.

As regards Scale7, I also model in 2mmFS so I have the opportunity to  wear the finescale hairshirt if I wish.

In truth I have found my engineering skills a bit lacking for 2mmFS and what I want to achieve.

7mm finescale provides an ideal environment to learn skills before applying them to smaller scales.

I find each time I return to 2mmFS I am nearer to achieving my goal.

• Like 4

As regards Scale7, I also model in 2mmFS so I have the opportunity to  wear the finescale hairshirt if I wish.

In truth I have found my engineering skills a bit lacking for 2mmFS and what I want to achieve.

7mm finescale provides an ideal environment to learn skills before applying them to smaller scale

At one of the first exhibitions where Bob Essery's S7 'Dewsbury' was shown, I was an operator on the layout, there was a piece of rail that needed a shade of metal taking off the top to level the joint out, the late John Horton pulled out of his toolbox something like a 15" long bastard hand file, which we all agreed he must have had when he was (I believe it was the R&E) Chief Engineer on the Ravenglass & Eskdale Rly.    I understand the late Don Chapman use to do something similar in EM.

• Like 3

Perhaps I don't take modelling seriously enough. In truth there are very few things I do take seriously. I have more skills in certain aspects of modelling than some do, but I'm sort of a third division player. I try, and that's it.

'Bodger' to me is someone who muddles through as best he can, which is roughly what I do. Unlike Argos I have bought stuff in in past times, and maybe will again, but my wagons, for example, are nearly all made by me. Some of them are quite decent (IMHO) but my standard of work wouldn't win any prizes at Telford. Essentially in the field of modelling I regard myself as a modest individual with plenty to be modest about. Wiring a point motor is something I have to really think about, for example. If that's 'putting myself down' then fair enough. To me it's just a statement of fact. I try to improve, and like I said, I enjoy what I do, which is all that matters. 

• Like 3

........  I enjoy what I do, which is all that matters. 

Poggy, that last phrase is the most important.  The purpose of a hobby is enjoyment!   :imsohappy:

Jim (read my signature!)

Edited by Caley Jim

• RMweb Gold

A breakthrough occurred this weekend!

Whilst wandering around the Stafford Exhibition I had a chat with the chap at Duncan Models, whose stand doubled up as demo stand for White Metal soldering.

I have never been able to solder white metal, brass and nickel silver no problem, but not white metal.

I could never get the solder to flow properly so have always resorted to epoxy and various superglues to join white metal.

Superglues never form a strong bond and epoxys are a faff as they have to be held in position whilst they set.

It also feels like cheating.

Anyway, after a quick demo at the show, I fell for the "buy my solder and flux.....it works" line and as it was reasonably priced I bought some.

The other peace of advice was to use a 15W iron straight into the mains with no attempt at temperature control.

It doesn't produce enough power to melt the white metal as the conductivity as the metal is not great (unless of course you hold the iron in place for a minute or so..)

Not having an iron of that wattage I shelled out a fiver and bought one.

Back home I not only successfully (and easily) soldered white metal for the first time, I found it easy to use the solder as a filler in white metal and brass.

The final cherry on the cake was I found I could solder white metal to brass using the flux, solder and iron.

All in all a great result! 

It's amazing what a bit of advice and encouragement can do!  :imsohappy:

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Having left my computer power lead at work 170 miles from home I didn't get chance to post any piccies of the weekend's modelling.

so, to kick off with, my first successful white metal soldering victim project:-

post-13616-0-00323800-1455054400.jpg

She should add some mass to the resin LNWR cattle van.

I also managed to progress the 5' 6" tank before I got carried away soldering anything white metal I could find.
The cab interior is taking shape the figures are just posed, I'm still deciding if they are a permanent allocation...

post-13616-0-38216000-1455054576.jpg

I've still got apply some filler to finish the extended cab sides and finish the detailing.
The cab floor caused a bit of head scratching.
The LNWR used 1.5" square wooden blocks on its cab floors mounted with 3/8" gap.
Initially I tried cutting this with a razor saw in some 80 thou plasticard to create an appropriate grid.
I couldn't keep the saw straight enough so that didn't work too well.

I then thought I'd try and mill the grid in the plasticard using a 0.3mm PCB mill cutter.
Hmm.. it was never going to work! :O
There was too much flex in the cutter so none of the lines were straight!
I finished up using Slater's cobbles.
They are oversize and not square but should give the impression of the texture of blocks when view through the cab openings.

Additional brass tube was purchased at the Stafford show so the RHS pipework was completed

post-13616-0-55821200-1455055096.jpg

Finally dropping the roof on shows the progress towards completion (I want to clear the work bench ready for a Gladiator Coal tank when they are released in March:senile: ).

post-13616-0-26484300-1455055331.jpg

post-13616-0-00323800-1455054400.jpg

post-13616-0-38216000-1455054576.jpg

post-13616-0-55821200-1455055096.jpg

post-13616-0-26484300-1455055331.jpg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A mixture of a commitment to take trip to the Walker Art Gallery in Liverpool to view their Pre-Raphaelite exhibition (get me......actually it was for my wife art course) and a dose of flu have conspired to keep me away from the work bench for anything but a fleeting visit.

Mind you I enjoyed the Pendalino trip across the Runcorn Viaduct. I've worked on the approach road to the road bridge and admired Jack Nelson's dioramas but never experienced this signature piece of key LNWR architecture from the travellers view point.

That said I've managed to make a bit of progress.
The front handrail, lamp socket (which the handrail runs through) and smoke box door handle have all been fitted so the front end is dangerously near complete.
This leaves just the vacuum hose and fillet piece that fits behind the buffer beam to go on. Frustratingly the fillet is another part missed from the kit.
It is clear enough on the drawings in LNWR Engines though so should be easy to knock up.

post-13616-0-39790700-1456175476.jpg

The edge trim to the rear tank has also been added, although this was made more difficult by this being made of two parts, one part 0.3mm narrower than the other. This doesn't sound a lot until you try to butt them together! it makes a smooth joint a little hard!  the edge trim for the tanks is also just undersized so a new strip of brass will be required.

post-13616-0-10212100-1456175684.jpg

Finally the first front step has been fitted. The etch supplied doesn't look much like the real one (the etch is on the white solder real in the photo below). In fairness the step edges were added in the 20's and I suppose created a square step. As built the steps had a curved face with no side edge. Also noticeable on drawings and photos is the the step was suspended on a slender rod, not a flat bar. 

A few minutes work with a file removed the edges and re-shaped the step face, the bar support was then cut off and soldered onto a suitably rod which in turn was socketed into the footplate with some bracing added where concealed to add some some strength to the joint.

post-13616-0-63942200-1456176093.jpg

In other news, the replacement chip for the one fried in the 4' shunter has arrived from TCS.

Top marks to them, no quibbles just a straight swap. They even replaced the harness I had trimmed.

It is reassuring to know "Goof proof" really means that, even for idiot goofers..........

Guess whose chip will be going in the 910 tank?

post-13616-0-39790700-1456175476.jpg

post-13616-0-10212100-1456175684.jpg

post-13616-0-63942200-1456176093.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I've done no modelling this weekend but I have been pondering the successor to Three Shire Heads.

This is probably a bit premature as Three Shires is unlikely to be finished within a year. The main impetus here is to establish the next project to build stock appropriate as the opportunity arises. However it has been pleasant playing with the possibilities in Templot.

I am fortunate in having the benefit of a garage space, This is nominally 18 feet by 12 feet although there is a chimney breast which juts into the room about 2 feet. 
Our house was originally built as a series holiday apartments in about 1900. The space that is now the garage was one of the apartments, hence the chimney breast.
Whilst this sounds generous this space is shared with my numerous bikes, the detritus of life (boxes of Christmas decorations and trees, roof racks, paints etc.) and my wife has designs on some space for her art work. 
The space is further complicated by having to provide access to three areas.

I have been contemplating a layout based on a fictitious LNWR line over Axe Edge to Leek.

This would be a single track line to Leek but a double track connection would be provided to the North Staffordshire's Churnet Valley line just North of Rushton.

I've developed a full back story history, essentially the Cromford and High Peak created a link to the canal basin in Leek (an extension of Trent and Mersey) to provide a quick trans-Pennine route. The LNWR took control, initially via lease then outright purchase.
This gives the opportunity for branch traffic from Buxton and more "mainline" traffic via the NSR from Macclesfield.

The MS&L and the L&Y had a presence in Macclesfield so the opportunity for  market day specials (Leek ran three markets a week) could give access to these companies. Add to this the possibility of the Midland have running rights form Buxton and a trip working by the NSR from their station at Leek  then the possibility exists for quite a Pre-grouping melting pot.

The first plan is shown below.

post-13616-0-19342800-1456691622.png
Whilst running around the walls will give a longer run It will infringe on the other uses of the garage, so I've also looked at a similar plan just along one wall.

post-13616-0-26745800-1456691760.png
The plan has been in development for a while now, The station area is contained in a space of 8'x1'6" so can be built as a standalone. The goods yard below is 8'x1' and can be developed likewise and added to the station before being extended.
I quite like this segmental approach as it should keep enthusiasm going during construction and would enable the modules to be exhibited if they are good enough.

I do however have a concern.

Is it too much railway?

I've been reading a couple of blogs recently which have an interesting approach to planning, the "less is more" route.

Both are Canadian, but the principles are global.They are well worth a read:-

http://themodelrailwayshow.com/cn1950s/
http://www.hedley-junction.blogspot.co.uk/

Experience with Three Shire Heads has shown that I enjoy operating for around two half hour sessions a week.

The plans above, whilst extensive would take more work to operate than the time available, would I ultimately be building a static model?
A half hour session is enough to break up shunt and remake a 3 wagon train on Three Shires. The goods yard at Leek NW above can take a 6 wagon train.
Also operation is a simple drive on, reverse/shunt, drive off.

I've always been a fan of the larger American layouts that represent a line rather than a single location. The journey is modelled rather than a single location.

So a second option has been drawn up.

A fictitious, short branch from the LNWR's Buxton-Ashbourne line running via Chelmorton to Taddington.

The line was originally a branch off the Cromford and High Peak (them again!) to serve a quarry at Taddington (that looks a lot like Three Shires Heads quarry.......).

This enables me to incorporate Three Shires Head (now Taddington) and build out from the existing layout.

post-13616-0-06286800-1456692868.png

Whilst a lot simpler than Leek North Western, and lacking the "Pre-grouping melting pot" opportunities, I quite like the thought of running a pick up goods along the branch picking up and dropping off, stopping in the loop at Chelmorton to allow the branch passenger train to pass. Perhaps a though express to Manchester can be introduced to enable some high link locos and stock to be run. 

Decisions, decisions............

post-13616-0-19342800-1456691622.png

post-13616-0-26745800-1456691760.png

post-13616-0-06286800-1456692868.png

• Like 2

Interesting thoughts.  Not that I have the scope to do any such thing at the present, but I am increasingly drawn to the depiction of a journey idea, combined with a relatively generous depiction of the landscape through which the train journeys.  

• RMweb Gold

Now, if you were working in 2FS............

Jim

post-13616-0-75593000-1456859388.jpg

Who says I'm not........... :blum:

one of your kits, in need of a clean up and finishing!

The issue would still arise though. Do I model a single, large location as say Copenhagen Fields or a branch as say The North Cornwall line - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/78121-the-north-cornwall-line-in-2mm-finescale/page-2

Albeit the North Cornwall Line is more of a large slice of mainline rather than a branch.

Like Edwardian, I am drawn more and more to  to depicting a journey through a number of smaller locations rather than a single large location so I am erring toward the Taddington branch, but the wind is due to change so I'll probably change my mind again.......

I'm still toying with how to develop my 2mm aspirations. I'm determine to do something Caledonian, preferably C&O (Callander and Oban not the US interloper  :nono: ) although have my name down for the forthcoming coal tank kit in 2mm which throws  a spanner in the works.

I do have a cunning plan for a small 2mm layout (about 7'x1') that can move location from the LNWR (North Wales) to CR (North Connel) but need to do a bit more development work first. :paint: .

I should also apologise for the appalling transgression of the appearance of a post nationalisation tender in this forum! :rtfm:

post-13616-0-75593000-1456859388.jpg

Edited by Argos
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Yes, interesting.  I like the idea of a pre-grouping melting pot with lots of different stock, and also the idea of running along a line.  My narrow gauge line has a full history, 5, or six stations, once had a timetable which I am re-doing but has never been built.  The intervention of my son on behalf of his son meant that the space of a board would be used for a roundy roundy 00 layout and not for the start and finish stations of the line.  As I will work to a timetable I will still have trains 'going somewhere' but only in theory not practise.  Your plans are very different so you could not start with one layout and work from that to whatever end you want to go to.

I looked at Cornwall but the number of different locos seemed quite small so gave up on the idea, (salmon pink coaches sank it completely).

In the end what will give you the most pleasure?  Will working something for a while, stopping and coming back to that 'point in time' and then continuing, or shunting a pick up goods and running it down the line?  There is probably more variety in the first but we are all different and you know what you will enjoy.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for your input Chris,

I am fairly sure a more simplistic layout would suit better but it is difficult to overcome the urge to "max out" the available space.

In truth I think what is holding me back from committing to the Taddington layout is the surroundings.

I was looking forward to modelling the environs of Leek, it is my local town and the industrial architecture is very interesting, a real mixture, red sandstone, gritstone and brick, some of the brick is laid in a Staffordshire fashion with alternate dark header followed by a red stretcher in each row. Walking around the town reveals many wharehouses and mills still in existence and crying out to be modelled.

The area between Chelmorton and Taddington is fairly boring (it is an area I've frequently cycled, until a few years ago I lived a few miles away), no structures, a rolling limestone plateau (so no streams or rivers) just green fields and dry stone walls. The villages, whilst pretty are fairly monochrome being mostly limestone matching the dry stone walls. In the period modelled even most of the roofs would be stone.

I have tried a simplified layout for Leek, loosely based on Stamford Bridge (Great Northern). This would have the link to the NSR main line singled, a small goods yard and no canal basin.

The branch would curve around to the site where Taddington is located, which would become a through station (and become Flash in the process).

The trouble is this just doesn't grab me at the moment. 

I like the idea of the canal basin (this was the first section created) and most of the action would be along the Leek - Manchester Line which is a simple fiddle yard to BLT route with little running. The length of Leek NW also compress the distance between the two station which spoils the effect.

So I either need to come up with a different simple layout for leek North Western or find a more inspiring location for the Taddington branch.

Back to the drawing board!

• RMweb Gold

You definitely need to model something you actually would like to model or that has captured your imagination.  Jonathan suggested the Newtown down shelter to me and I loved it, so it is going on the model.  I like the distinctive Cambrian station buildings.  I will also transfer a terrace of Edwardian Houses from Tottenham to the Welsh Coast because when they were first built they had gardens, yes real gardens with soil and plants, on their flat roofs.

Leek sounds a better bet and in 7mm you may just be able to colour the bricks to the right patterns.  Have fun planning.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Chris,

I've doing a bit more reading around and planning.

I hadn't appreciated that the NSR line through Leek was a pre-grouping melting pot anyway.

The twin attractions of Rudyard Lake and Alton Towers meant many excursions down the line.

The LNWR and GCR ran south to Alton from Macclesfield and the Midland and GNR ran North to Rudyard (actually to Rushton) from Uttoxeter.

Having said that I spent the morning with OS map open and the proposed lines around Leek would play a huge falsehood with geography. Getting over Axe Edge to Buxton or bypassing Gun Hill would be nigh on imposable (still it's only a theoretical railway!).

I'm coming to terms with the Taddington branch and have developed the history and route a bit so it's starting to feel interesting. It certainly feels more "believable" now and hopefully the  model will feel more naturally real as a result. 

It is certainly more achievable and operable for a single modeller.

I think I have to accept that Leek NW is implausible, impractical and overly ambitious.

I'll post some more of the history and route of the Taddington branch later.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A History of the LNWR’s Taddington Branch

The Cromford and High Peak Railway (C&HPR) opened fully in 1831 to provide a rail bridge over the Pennine watershed to link canal basins at Whaley Bridge and Cromford. Initially conceived as a horse drawn tramway the route took pains to avoid any built up areas that may delay traffic on route, thus the line ran at high level avoiding the valleys, later used by the railways.

Despite the intention not to delay through traffic, industry quickly established itself along the line taking advantage of the cheap transport. The area around Taddington Moor was ideally placed to make a connection with the Taddington-Sheldon-Monyash triangle riddled with lead mines. These mines quickly established tramway links with the C≺ this cheap transport providing a life line for the mines since the increased in competition from cheaper imports following the reducing in Ore tariff in 1820 was making their operation un-profitable. In the 18th century Lead ore had been Great Britain’s second most lucrative export after wool, so had been protected by punative tariffs. The tramways create a rabbit warren of tracks around the district, however, the removal of the Ore Tariff in 1845 forced the closure of many of the mines, only the largest, most productive mines survived and even these struggled to compete. Lead continued to be mined in the area on and off through to the 1950’s, the nature of the industry encouraged small scale mining operations and the close proximity of a transport system made marginal working viable if the lead ore price was high. This was however very small scale and the industry never again approached the heady output heights of the 18th century.

By the time the LNWR leased the C&HPR in 1861 the Lead mining industry was almost dead. However, new industry had started up to replace the old. The burdensome basalt layers which generations had mined through to get the lead ore now had value and the ready supply of local coal (from two mines at Whaley Bridge and one at Ladmanlow) made lime burning a thriving industry along with quarrying the limestone. A large Limestone quarry and lime works established itself at Sough Top just to south east of Taddington.
The LNWR took little time in rationalising the tramways and laying heavier rail to provide links to the quarry whilst still providing loading points along the route for the lead mines still operating.

The arrival in Buxton of the Stockport, Disley and Whaley Bridge Railway (ostensibly the LNWR) in 1863 lead to plans to connect the C&HPR lines directly to the network at Buxton thus avoiding the convoluted route to Whaley Bridge via 3 inclines. No doubt the LNWR was worried by the amount of traffic flowing on to the Midland Railway at the Cromford end of the C&HPR.

As early as 1864 improvements where made the C&HPR on the approach to Buxton and various plans were put before Parliament but it was not until the LNWR purchased the C&HPR in 1887 that the plans were put into action. A dual line was created running through to Hindlow forming a direct link with C&HPR. Advantage was also taken of the freight line to Taddington to create a new branch line and passenger stations at Chelmorton, Flagg and Taddington. A rudimentary passenger service had run over the freight line up until the banning of the C&HPR “fly” trains by the Board of Trade in 1877.

The new branch was opened concurrently with the new Hindlow section in 1892 and ran through to a new bay platform at Buxton. The branch was just under 7½ miles long and was single track from the junction at Staden just outside Buxton. A loop and two platforms were provided at Chelmorton along with a small goods yard with unloading facilities for coal, general goods and cattle, a loading bank was also provided for the remaining small mining operations in the area. A short halt was built at Flagg with limited goods facilities. At Taddington more substantial provision was made including an exchange siding for the private rail connection to Sough Top Quarry.

The line was initially easily graded rising gently from Buxton to Chelmorton and Flagg at around 1 in 300 thereafter a boiler busting, engine groaning 1 in 45 took the rise up to the station on the hillside above and to the South of Taddington village.

Initially four passenger trains ran in each direction on weekdays supplemented by a through to Manchester express in the mornings and evenings. The journey to Buxton took just under 30 minutes for the 7½ mile journey, the express slightly shorter. The express reached Manchester in 1 hour 20 mins.

With no turning facilities at Taddington the passenger trains were always work by a tank engine, typically a Chopper or 4’ 6” tank worked the passenger train, initially formed of antiquated 4 wheeled carriage stock. The express saw a 5’ 6” tank, Metro tank or even one of the compound tanks (777 “cold dinners” was a noted celebrity working) in charge. The express was initially formed of the newly introduced 42' 8w radial carriage and 30'1" 6w stock.

Freight traffic was left in the hands of whatever the Buxton depot had to hand, antiquated Crewe Goods were still operating as were un-rebuilt DX goods (neither had brakes on the engine). The newer Coal Engines also made an appearance although these also lacked engine brakes initially. The preferred choice was the Coal Tank, whilst not exactly well endowed with brakes, it did at least have some! Stopping a loading stone train down the 1 in 45 from Taddington on wet rails was an art form the drivers became justly proud of. The steep grade did severely limit the length of trains that could be run, especially following a series of runaways early in the line’s history.

Milk traffic was initially handled by a vacuum braked Crewe Goods tank specially adapted for the purpose. However, once the Hindlow line had been extended to Ashbourne in 1899 a pair of Whitworth 2-4-0s were stabled at Buxton to work a through express to London. It was not uncommon for the Buxton depot to make use of the spare engine on milk trains over the C&HPR and the Taddington branch. The short wheel base of the Whitworth made it ideally suited to the sharp curves of the C&HPR.

This traffic pattern was supplemented by special train working during the wakes festivals at the three villages along line, bringing day trippers in at weekends. The point-to-point races at Flagg, started in 1892 also became a popular draw on the line with special horse trains running to bring in the competitors.

The line settled down to a quiet existence, push-pull working were instituted on the line in 1912 after a brief trial in 1905 with the new railmotors. The gradients and capacity limitation of the railmotors meant the push-pull working suited the branches traffic better. The First World war brought and increase in traffic from the quarries but the Manchester express were quietly dropped from the timetable and never re-instated.

The line suffered badly from road competition in the inter-war period. The road to Buxton (the A6) was shorter than the circuitous rail line and so with the development of road transport became quicker and more convenient. The passenger trains did hang on until 1954 when regular services were withdrawn both on the Taddington branch and the Buxton – Ashbourne line. Special train were still run to service the Flagg races and Wakes celebrations though.

Sough Top quarry was intensively worked during WWII and following the war the workings were becoming increasing fissured and unstable. Stone and lime continued to be produced but the quarry was becoming less and less profitable, ultimately closing in 1964 and with it the last traffic for the Taddington branch disappeared.

post-13616-0-01176500-1457201266.jpg

Edited by Argos
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Argos,

That seems like a very believable history.  I was going to question the 1 in 45 when I remembered that the ruling gradient between Boscarne Junction and Bodmin is 1 in 44.  They were however using a 2-8-2 coal tank engine with extra umph, (technical term for redesigned valves), to pull 4 loaded Mk1 carriages.

Shame about Leek.  Could the line have originally had some fancy brickwork station buildings?

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Chris,

The old C&HPR line to Landmanlow (the one disappearing of the left hand edge of the map) had a ruling grade of 1 in 41, although not open to passenger traffic it did see some hefty stone traffic up to Grin Quarry.

If you want a truly absurd grade then the 1 in 14 further down the C&HPR at Hopton was, I believe, the steepest grade worked by normal adhesion in the UK.

As regards the buildings, given the construction period, then LNWR standard buildings would be appropriate for the stations and signal boxes, similar to the Buxton to Ashbourne line built a few years later. Some of the older buildings would be stone construction similar to elsewhere on the C&HPR.

Leek may still make an appearance sometime in the future but I want to focus on Taddington for now.

Edited by Argos
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Some might think developing a fictitious history as above a bit OTT. I enjoy the process. 

There has been some interesting fall out from the process.

Firstly I gained a station:-

I originally conceived the branch as running from Hindlow more or less directly to Taddington via Chelmorton.

I did look at a similar route to Monyash via Chelmorton and Flagg.

The additional station was tempting but Monyash is only about a mile from Hurdlow station so unlikely to justify the expense of a dedicated line.

When plotting the Taddington branch onto the OS map I realised that the Ashbourne line climbs from Staden to Hindlow at 1 in 60. A direct route to Taddington would look like a roller coaster, Up 1 in 60 to Hindlow, back down at around 1 in 50 to Chelmorton before climbing steeply again to Taddington!  :O

It became logical to make the junction at Staden and run the branch on a gentle climb to Chelmorton. From here the lay of land naturally pushed the line into a curve through Flagg, so I gained a third station on the line after all. 

Secondly I gained some useful features to break up the scene:-

Taddington moor is a maze of small lanes (as can be seen from the map). Checking back with maps from the 1890's (available on line from the National Library of Scotland) showed all these lanes in existence then. This would require numerous over-bridges on the line which will help to break up the layout into separate scenes. 

One concern I had about adding the station at Flagg was that it would overcrowd the layout. I wanted the stations to be isolated. There would be nothing worse than a train shunting one station appearing at another, or arriving a the second station when the back of the train is still departing the first  :nono: . 

The over-bridges provide the opportunity to break the three stations into separate scenes. Flagg is suitably hemmed in on the map so the station scene can be a train length plus the point to access the goods yard.

By using a kick back siding all shunting can be done within this small scene. 

This leaves enough distance between Flagg, Chelmorton and Taddington to be credible.

I had hoped for 3x train length gap between the station infrastructure but will have to settle for a little over 2x train length (train length is around 3' 6" for most trains).

Thirdly some operational interest and credibility was added:-

The steep grade down from Taddington to Flagg would mean that once a train was assembled at Taddington the wagon brakes would need to be pinned down for the decent.

On arrival at Flagg the train would then stop to enable the brakes to be released, thus slowing down the trip around the layout in a realistic manner.

The grade would also keep trains short.

On the Holywell town branch in North Wales, albeit with a 1 in 27 ruling grade,  train lengths were restricted to three loaded wagons.

I'll be running a maximum of six which feels about right.

It also means more trips per day would be justified.  :sungum:

Finally I can incorporate another item nicked from the Holywell branch:-

At the bottom of the incline at Holywell junction a sand trap protected the junction against runaways. A point facing in the downgrade direction was installed with an associated signal. This point was sprung to allow trains travelling up the grade to pass unhindered. In the down grade direction the train had to stop, the driver throw the point and release the signal. Obviously if he couldn't stop then the train would be directed into the sand trap.

On the layout plan the sand trap is positioned past the bridge at Flagg, it will be controlled from a ground frame on the Flagg side of the bridge, adjacent to the signal protecting the point, again containing the scene.

None of the above would have been realised if I'd just stopped at penning a line on large scale map. :mail:

A draft plan is shown below, this has been generated to work out what fits rather than the final design. Hopefully it will show the intention. 

The Taddington end is a bit squiffy as it incorporates the layout of Three Shire Head which I've struggled to reproduce accurately into Templot. As a result the layout is over wide at Taddington, in reality it should all be contained in a more manageable 2' 9" width.

Finally if anyone thinks I've deserted the modeller's workbench for the modeller's armchair, I'm on with the chassis for the 5' 6" tank (not really a photogenic process). I have the chassis rolling, the wheels are all shimmed out from the frames with coupling rods filed to appropriate shapes and reamed to to provide smooth running. Finally the motor and gears have been secured in place. I'll post some photos later in the week, hopefully I'll get the pick ups on soon and I'll have a running engine! :senile:  

Thanks for reading! the past few posts have been a bit epic!  :good:

post-13616-0-71205000-1457295335.png

Edited by Argos
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

F​or me a history is essential. 

History defines why trains run and what trains run. 

Without history your line has no purpose and becomes a nice train set.

So no need for an apology or suggestion that it is OTT.

• RMweb Gold

Argos,

Like it, it is well thought out and hopefully will give you lots of fun.

Edit:  I agree about the history.  A fictional line needs a reason to be there, and have a reason to run the traffic you want.  Are there plans for a timetable?  What I mean is a timetable on paper, and a sequence on the layout.

Edited by ChrisN

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Andy & Chris,

I will work up a timetable in time, I have roughed out a sequence, basically 4x passenger workings in each direction (one each way as an express), 1x return goods working, 2x stone trains and 1x early morning milk train.

I did contemplate an early morning quarry workers train but can't find any evidence of any kind of "paddy" train working around the Peaks. I was also considering 2x goods trains but that would probably be over egging the pudding.

The issue is working them into the timetable on the Buxton-Ashbourne route. 

I have the passenger timetable, although the route to Ashbourne wasn't open in 1894, the year I am modelling, a temporary terminus was located at Parsley Hay so passenger train were running.

What I am missing is all the freight workings. These would have been quite intensive. Stone traffic off the C&HPR Ladmanlow branch from Grin Quarry and the large Hoffman kiln at Harper Hill. The other end of the C&HPR connected at Parsley Hay so stone traffic would be flowing form there, along with bricks from the works at Friden. Also when first built there was a small lime works at Harper Hill, the workings were a small shadow of what they would become, but would still generate traffic.

I'm sure inserting the sequence into the other workings will generate some more local colour.

A bit more research is required!  :yes:

Edited by Argos
  • Like 1

I have very much admired the modelling that distinguishes your 0 gauge thread on Three Shires Head. This was always the favourite destination for our 1st Taxal Scouts’ ‘midnight hikes’ from our hut in Shallcross sidings beside the CH&P Incline. We’d follow the trackbed along past Fernilee “Rezzivoy” and up through the tunnel above Burbage,  then up over Axe Edge; returning crossing the Cat &Fiddle turnpike onto Shining Tor, Cat Tor  & down home past Windgather with a carpet of distant city lights on the plain ahead of us.

Wife went to Cevendish Grammar School for Gels above the Buxton LNW station where a number of friends crossed the county boundary from Staffs Moorlands places like Flash and Hulme End as well as the beautiful Derbyshire limestone plateau villages like Chelmorton.

The Axe Edge side of Buxton you now admit to be hardly railway country.  However my fantasy layout at least got surveyed and a prospectus issued :sungum:

The  LD&ECR.’s route  here (post #21 by Aspinall)   from Baslow to Macclesfield via Ladmanlow is totally wild in all senses of the word. It claimed to have the support of the North Stafford with whom it proposed connecting at Macc before ploughing on to the Mersey past all the present-day Premier league footballers’ houses.  

Like you, I have enjoyed tracing its alignment on old OS maps around Hindlow south and west of Buxton interacting/separate from the LNW then across to Erwood and Rainow. I use the maps available on the National Library of Scotland web site as underlays below a transparent Bing contemporary satellite and map.

I liked the idea of 3 maybe 4 pre-grouping companies vying with one another for the meagre upland traffic. My fantasy even had a Stockport Corpy tramway running down from the Goyt Moss wilderness to build the upper Goyt reservoir first rather than the lower one.

Lastly have you thought of a winter setting for the new layout? That for most of us represents the reality of an upland railway.

post-21705-0-99700200-1457388103.jpg

This semi abstract of the walls around Flagg/Chelmorton beautifully captures the dismal damp air of lingering snow on the north side of all those white walls (perhaps your wife might know of the artist - I can only make out Robert Do***). Such days used to be the ideal weather for escaping  down a pothole into a 'warm' constant temperature..

With best wishes

dh

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

DH,

Thanks for your kind compliments, I only hope the model lives up to them as I progress.

That walk sounds quite a hike, I've dragged my lad up Shinning Tor stopping to wild camp when he was younger (4 at the time), I don't think he would have handled much longer. Now he is 10 I struggle to get him off the computer let alone go out for a walk......

I can also empathise with pothole comment being an ex-caver, although most of my speleology was done in Yorkshire whilst at university. It was always grim to reach the surface on a cold winters night being wet but warm in the cave to then be exposed to the bitter wind for the yomp back to the car.......

I originally started Three Shire Heads on a blog where the original fictitious history was posted. I also pasted the following which may be of interest:-

"The Leek & Manifold line had a proposed extension which would have continued to Longnor and on up to Hindlow where some dual gauge would have taken the line into Buxton. Now that would have been spectacular!

It would also make an interesting model.

I believe a large 0-8-4t loco was mooted for the line.

I did briefly consider running some dual gauge into Three Shires Head, but felt that really pushed the credibility a bit far.

.....The LD&ECR did plan a route from Macclesfield across to Chesterfield via Buxton. It would have run at higher level including a massive viaduct over the valley at higher level than the Midland's Miller's Dale viaduct.

There were several planned flights of fancy in and across the Peaks. If any one is interested then Backtrack Volume 27 Number 11 from November 2013 is worth tracking down. It has a lengthy article on several of the proposals. As well as the Leek & Manifold extension, the East & West Railway proposed by the LD&ECR there is the High Peak District Electric Tramway and a proposed turn of the 20th century electrification of Midland Railway's Manchester - Derby line."

If you haven't read the Backtrack magazine referenced it would be worth tracking down.

I hadn't got as far as considering the season to be modelled, the summer would be predictable but offer the opportunity to include "Wakes" specials in the timetable.

I do prefer the more washed out colours of the other seasons though.

The Flagg racers are around the beginning of April, so would still have the chance of snow.

Given that the Taddington Plateau is over 1,000 feet high and, I believe the weather was colder in the late 19th century, probably a high chance of snow still lying!

There was a North American model that appeared in Great Model Railroads and Model Railroad Planning a few years ago.

The modeller had represented the "fifth" season in Vermont, which is local known as the "mud" season and is the transition between between winter and spring.

The washed out colours, mucky snow and mud was inspiring and unusual.

It does set a high bar to follow though!

• Like 2