My Layout and other projects.

Father Dougal

Ok so, as the sun is out and the wind has died down, I sprayed some more. The yellow is already done and masked off.

This is the grey coat. Once this drys I need to spray the windows around the cab fronts and the side mesh in black.

Here are a few shots and one of the retaining wall that has had a spot of graffiti.

Dougal.

DC4B6BDB-8D20-45FC-8315-78DFD9D5D705.jpeg.94df046ef0c678c219b0e9b1e7fe2d49.jpegBE00386B-1FAB-44EC-8DD3-B8B54D8122DE.jpeg.5918ea966295f14b431bda22834a6198.jpeg6E94B419-4D9A-4812-88C6-E6B64A71A2B0.jpeg.eb7b7b2203e2c1f3c955a4e3b4998b36.jpeg

Edited by Father Dougal
Stupid auto correct
  • Like 8

Thanks for the kind comments. Hopefully the wheels should arrive at the weekend. I need to check the ride height and swing of the bogies as they are a little different to ones I previously built. Assuming no major issues I hope to finish the model off next month and get a sound chip.

Dougal

• Like 1

I ordered; LEDs, wheels and a bucket load of figures. The lights and wheels should arrive tomorrow. The figures from ModelU will take a bit longer, but that is ok. I have ordered enough to crew 4 diesel locos and 1 steam engine.

Today I decided to splash out and buy a sound decoder for my 1361. I have drilled a few holes ready to take a couple of lamps and a firebox glow. I will probably just have illuminated lamps for directional tail lights as space is really tight on this model and I only have the red micro LEDs.

I haven’t seen many steam shutters with working lights, but I like a bit of light, especially in the winter months on a wet and miserable day.

She will have to run crewless until ModelU complete my order.

Once 1361 is completed I will fit the LEDs to my 58 and then I can start the cab detail. I plan to raise the floor level so I can add additional ballast to the cab floors. This should help add weight to the front axles. Sadly the drivers (same guy at each end) will end up legless.

Dougal

Ok more progress.

The wheels arrived and so I could test the bogies for height and swing. I think I fitted the side frames a tad high, so I will lower these by 50mm. 
the boxes you can see will house some lead weight.

The 1361 is almost done. Squeezing everything in was a bit of a bogger but it works. Trouble is, the decoder also supports a smoke unit so now I have to buy one. Drilling the chimney out was pretty easy.

I have also dismantled old Nellie and started repainting her in Blue. I will upgrade the buffers and couplings too and then fit sound.

ironically there is more room here than on the larger 1361.

Dougal

27B09AAC-191C-46A8-839C-54B674D5D088.jpeg.eef22af91a64cececc38943e86b7ec5f.jpegF1F0A901-79DC-4C02-B85A-5ACDD71AA220.jpeg.bbc3aab8baf82ead41a8ce1361c8ae4c.jpegDBA94464-74EA-46F7-9B45-D5F9F1E5625C.jpeg.7875490e8d00953b6f2454f9a8fee5ee.jpeg

• Like 4

I have been a busy bee today. The bogie side frames have been lowered. I have added some plasticard trim to the chassis/ lower body to finish things off. 

She runs nice and smoothly around my layout now.

I have dismantled all the main components now ready for priming. 

The glass sided sand boxes were tricky. I can’t fit them until everything is painted as they need glazing fitted and this can’t be done in situ.

Hopefully I can post some pictures tomorrow, assuming the weather is a bit brighter.

Dougal

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Baggies1961 said:

Looking really good, impressive. What red did you use?

Regards

Julian.

Hi Julian, I used Vallejo  Amaranth Red 70.829

it is a good match for a faded red and looks close to the same shade in my book.

I have also weathered in with a straight black wash and a spray of Track dirt

Dougal.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ok so, the motor bogies are now behaving themselves. I found the running was not great in reverse. After a spot of sulking and contributing to the swear jar, I figured it out. The cog on the axle was moving when under stress. I fitted a spare bearing to prevent side play and now they work.

The lights are all fitted. The drivers have been fitted as have the spare seats.

a few photos. Next week I will order the sound decoder, unless I run into any other issues first.

The picks ups are just brass wire acting as wiper pick ups.

9902EEEE-AF8B-4999-BE77-A203A2B0DF67.jpeg.0ddc563b19657985a9685e3f8baa4a1b.jpeg010124A9-7229-44E1-858F-8A697CB7FBBF.jpeg.0cea6b8cadd4c355218506242af2c2f8.jpegDF25DC9B-59E9-4288-949E-7AB69776D886.jpeg.bca567b8a3c21ec38c4c993db9bc431a.jpeg

• Like 7

Thanks for all the likes, much appreciated.

Sunday I fitted the glazed sand boxes and the couplings.

I have ordered decals to finish off.

My next build is on order for end of July, a class 56. I will probably build this as a Loadhaul version, because I like the livery.

Dougal.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Father Dougal said:

Thanks for all the likes, much appreciated.

Sunday I fitted the glazed sand boxes and the couplings.

I have ordered decals to finish off.

My next build is on order for end of July, a class 56. I will probably build this as a Loadhaul version, because I like the livery.

Dougal.

Loadhaul Black / Orange? superb.:good:

I spent the weekend tinkering with stay alives. My 1361 didn’t run properly before. I suspected the stay alive was faulty. I ordered 2 stay alives and fitted one to the 1361 and the other went in my Hymek.

My 1361 now runs really slowly. I am still getting used to the smoke generator. The oil lasts ages.

The Hymek always ran well, but the decoder didn’t have a stay alive so I added one.

So, that is two more jobs off my to do list. Next up is fitting the drivers to my 129 and adding sound.

Oh and the Class 56 comes next week.

Dougal

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Father Dougal said:

I spent the weekend tinkering with stay alives. My 1361 didn’t run properly before. I suspected the stay alive was faulty. I ordered 2 stay alives and fitted one to the 1361 and the other went in my Hymek.

My 1361 now runs really slowly. I am still getting used to the smoke generator. The oil lasts ages.

The Hymek always ran well, but the decoder didn’t have a stay alive so I added one.

So, that is two more jobs off my to do list. Next up is fitting the drivers to my 129 and adding sound.

Oh and the Class 56 comes next week.

Dougal

Looking forward to the 56 build. I have one to do that I bought part built many years ago at a Gauge O convention. They had only soldered strengthening bars at the bottom of the sides so I thought it was a bargain. I since acquired an RTR 6 wheel motor bogie and dummy.  However I hear that the curvature of the roof is not accurate  - can anyone confirm?

Paul R