My Layout and other projects.

Father Dougal

Hello Children, welcome to the first instalment of Father Dougal's shed.

Just got home from surgery. I now have a good 4 weeks off sick to finish a floury of projects to be ready for when my super cool shed arrives.

Crilly street will be dismantled, but I will use as many of the buildings as I can.

The layout name will be unveiled in due course. It will be named after a Two Ronnies sketch. Mrs Doyle has already got the Nameplate ready for Christmas.

The shed will provide a working space of 16 foot by 3 foot for a simple fiddle yard to terminus layout.

I will have a few single unit DMU's and a diesel rail car to take care of the passengers.

I have recently been amassing China clay wagons from various time periods so I can run a small clay dry facility from 1950 to 1980.

Whilst off 'on the club' ' I will finish off my 08 (just need to tweak the chassis as the central axle is about 1mm too high compared to the other two axles.

The body is all done and painted now. I will post some pictures when I can hobble about a bit more.

I also have a part built Tower class 20 to finish off.

Busy busy.

Father D.

Edited by Father Dougal
Wanted to
  • Like 4

As already said Father, take it easy, and nothing strenuous.

A new shed and a blank canvas, should keep you bust designing a layout to fit, but only just, and after some trimming of course.

And it's good night from him........

Jinty ;)

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies guys. The heaviest item I will be lifting is a soldering iron. I have been stock piling kits for ages in preparation of my time off.

The shed itself will be installed for me. It is being built off site and takes one day for them company to bolt it together.

The hardest decision I have now is to start the class 20, build more CDA's or finish off the diesel rail car.

D.

• Like 2

Whilst I hobble around the house and generally annoy Mrs Doyle as much as possible, I have been working on a little chapel for the new layout.

This cute little chapel is made from laser cut wood by Treacle lane www.treaclelane.co.uk they make a few kits in various scales. This is a 1:48 scale kit.

post-18380-0-57117000-1447673213_thumb.jpegpost-18380-0-13817200-1447673227_thumb.jpegpost-18380-0-24204400-1447673239_thumb.jpegpost-18380-0-25121900-1447673253_thumb.jpeg

The kit comes with plain walls. I added a thin layer of DAS and scribed stones once it was dry.

The interior details and the windows were a joy to build.

The roof has recycled card cut into slate tiles. Hopefully the chapel will look plausible in a Cornish setting.

I have also started making these.......

post-18380-0-75920500-1447673264_thumb.jpeg

2 mounds, the larger mould is for the seating for the razor car. The smaller box has two axle castings for some scrap wagons.

Hopefully if the mounds come out ok I can start making a few of each casting.

Next job for this week is to add some more detail to the razor car sides by adding door handles, grab rails etc and then I can start on fabricating some internal dividers to make the inside of the car look as convincing as possible.

Dougal.

• Like 9

I like your chapel Father. I am really intrigued as to what you will call your new layout. Hope the recovery is going well.

Rod

Hi Rod, my new layout will be revealled shortly. I liked Crilly street, but building it in a spare room led to the height being too high for me to access the fiddle yard. The other let down for me was that lndustrial buildings are large and they made the layout look even smaller. I think rural is more me.

The track plan will be a stretched run around loop with a few sidings set in a country side setting.

I think Cornwall has one or two similarities with Craggy island ( I know a few locals!) and a country scene will work better for me as I like pretty layouts.

I have been following Trebudoc on this forum and I will shamelessly borrow a few aspects that I like.

On another theme. just orderd a load of figures, including Dick the Vic and a lovely horse.(oh and an old guy carrying a pig- not sure why I bought it but it kinda felt a bit Cornish.......)

I'll get my coat.

Dougal.

Edited by Father Dougal
  • Like 1

The chapel looks good, I've got a 1:43 scale one from them to build and was intending on cladding it with wriggly tin, but I like your stone version and looks nicely different. Might have to get a second to have a stone one and a tin one...

Cheers,

Andrew

Hi Andrew, thank you for your kind comments. I want to create a Cornish feel to the new layout. Having studied various images of Cornish chapels they all appear to be stone and slate roofs, rather than wiggly tin

I am quite pleased with the haphazard effect, it looks better from normal viewing distances rather than the extreme close up posted here.

I also found the muted stone colour looks more realistic. It was a challenge to create a suitably pale tone.

I will probably buy the water mill next. This is based on a north Devon prototype, so it is kind of Cornish.

D.

Hi Andrew, thank you for your kind comments. I want to create a Cornish feel to the new layout. Having studied various images of Cornish chapels they all appear to be stone and slate roofs, rather than wiggly tin

I am quite pleased with the haphazard effect, it looks better from normal viewing distances rather than the extreme close up posted here.

I also found the muted stone colour looks more realistic. It was a challenge to create a suitably pale tone.

I will probably buy the water mill next. This is based on a north Devon prototype, so it is kind of Cornish.

D.

Dougal,

Your last comment may stimulate some robust responses. It's rather like calling Canada the 51st State.

Hello, feeling quite annoyed at present. I have finished the 08 body and built the chassis, but I cannot get the wheels to complete a full rotation when the coupling rods are attached.

Every time they reach a certain point the rods begin to bend and distort out of shape. The issue exists even when I try to turn the wheels by hand. Something is stopping a rotation, but I can't see what it is.

I am beginning to hate coupling rods with a passion.

Can anyone suggest a solution, using very, very simple language? I am getting quite desperate.

Dougal.

• RMweb Premium

Sounds like they are not quartered correctly. Set one side with the crankpin at the top and then set the other side 90* forwards or backwards. It should work then.

If it still binds you will need to ease the holes in the rods slightly..

Andy G