My Layout and other projects.

Father Dougal

Hi,

I had 5 On/Off switches so I used these for individual control.

1. Yard and external building lights and fuel point.

2. Clay dry.

3. Bagged clay.

4. Diesel shed.

5. Mess hall.

I plan on building similar when I start illuminating the dock side and shops.

By the way. All my lights so far all come off a cheap starter controller. As they are all LEDs the current draw is really low.

Dougal

Hi Dougal, all look great, would it be possible to show a picture of the wiring?  The wires to the bulb/ lights seem so thin could you give me an idea of how you have linked these to the busbar or whatever you use? I'm a bit worried about mucking up the soldering of those tiny wires.

hope that makes sense

Best Tim

Hi Dougal, all look great, would it be possible to show a picture of the wiring?  The wires to the bulb/ lights seem so thin could you give me an idea of how you have linked these to the busbar or whatever you use? I'm a bit worried about mucking up the soldering of those tiny wires.

hope that makes sense

Best Tim

Hi, I will see if I can find a photo, but it was fairly easy. If you have a helping hand it is easy to solder, I didn't have one so I blue tacked one wire then simply soldered another to it and then used heat shrink. The resistors can go on the red or black wire, it doesn't matter- just do the same with each light.

I assume you will use a flux. I use Carrs red label or Dcc concepts flux for brass. Either work.

Dougal

• 5 weeks later...

Feeling really excited now! Just ordered my 'big boy' decoder and double speaker for my kit/ scratch built 37/0.

Not as expensive as I thought and the decoder comes with an inbuilt stay alive.

Just got to order some LEDs now. Hopefully by next Thursday everything will have arrived.

Dougal

• Like 1

Feeling really excited now! Just ordered my 'big boy' decoder and double speaker for my kit/ scratch built 37/0.

Not as expensive as I thought and the decoder comes with an inbuilt stay alive.

Just got to order some LEDs now. Hopefully by next Thursday everything will have arrived.

Dougal

You will be even more excited shortly.

I was chatting with Jeremy at Digitrains this afternoon when you* called to place this order. Just a coincidence, I go there perhaps every couple of weeks.

But, the reason I was there was to deliver my latest Class 37/0 sound project. Lots of new features but above all brand new recordings. If you like tractor thrash, you'll love this.

So you will be only the second person to get this version.

I'm writing up the User Notes tonight so they wil be ready for your package despatch. I think this is a great sound project but I would be interested in your feedback.

* I believe it was you, the customer was asking about ZIMO large scale decoders, stay alives and fitting to kit built Class 37/0 so seems to fit well.

Best regards,

Paul

• Like 1

You will be even more excited shortly.

I was chatting with Jeremy at Digitrains this afternoon when you* called to place this order. Just a coincidence, I go there perhaps every couple of weeks.

But, the reason I was there was to deliver my latest Class 37/0 sound project. Lots of new features but above all brand new recordings. If you like tractor thrash, you'll love this.

So you will be only the second person to get this version.

I'm writing up the User Notes tonight so they wil be ready for your package despatch. I think this is a great sound project but I would be interested in your feedback.

* I believe it was you, the customer was asking about ZIMO large scale decoders, stay alives and fitting to kit built Class 37/0 so seems to fit well.

Best regards,

Paul

Yep, that was me.

Even more excited now!

Ok, the decoder and speaker turned up today. Unfortunately I have run out of solder and LED's, so I am waiting for a big order from railroom electronics.

The wiring instructions are Dougal proof- even I can follow them. All the terminals are clearly marked and are screw connections.

The sound instructions are extensive, well a few pages, so I will need to study them so I can drive properly. It even includes different sequences to follow for a hot or cold start.

The decoder easily fits inside the body (just as well really as I was too lazy to measure). I do need to buy myself a teeny weeny flathead screwdriver so I can connect the wires. Hopefully I can pick one up at the Bristol show tomorrow.

One surprise today, was that the decoder also supports a smoke generator! I hadn't planned on having smoke, but now I just have to fit it. I just need to find a suitable smoke generator.

I expect my wires, LED's and solder order to arrive on Thursday and then the fun begins.

Dougal

Ok, I spent much of Thursday wiring up the lights and fitting the decoder.

i used 3mm LED's which was just the right size.

the decoder permits independent; front, rear and cab lights.

Installation was easy as the wiring instructions was clear. It could have been a tad larger for aging eyes as I had to squint a bit!

All I have to do now is secure the speaker and fit couplings and she is complete.

The sound and slow speed control are superb.

I will post a picture on Sunday.

For now I need to learn to drive properly as I have had two collisions so far!

Dougal

Today I finished the 37. I managed to push a window out after wards, so now I need to refit! 

on the plus side, I only crashed the 37 once today!

I have spent most of the day retro fitting various LED's to my easy build 129.

I will have head and tail lights and cab lights. This will be directional. I know it is not prototypical to have the cab lights on whilst driving, but I like the orange glow.

This was a bit more work than I imagined, but I am almost finished.

I built some new cab interiors so that they fit better and cover the head and tail lights.

I also decided to redo the wiring and have a tidy up.

much neater now.

Dougal.

I spent most of this morning slowly fitting colour coded wires to all the LEDs and I also separated the pick up and motor wires. Why you ask? 

Good question,

I am getting ready to fit a big boy Zimo sound decoder to my kit built Tower class 20.

I removed the old grain of wheat bulbs that were fitted. I can't fit the LED's just yet as I don't know which end will be number 1 until the decoder arrives.

I will be using the same digitrains sound decoder and double speaker I used on the 37.

Dougal.

I was about to buy a sound chip for my class 20 and then I stumbled across a clay slurry facility at Par. One thing led to another and now I have rebuilt one end of the layout entirely. 

I have also almost finished building a TCA slurry tanker. Just buffers and couplers to finish.

The clay dries were fun to make. I need some more talc powder to finish the dries and then I can add some lights.

The layout now make far more sense and is fun to use.

Take a peek...IMG_1660.JPG.9b52bf57aa6c2f3b77a665100801d389.JPGIMG_1661.JPG.6c3f3645fab31f9c4bbd75843e9a84a2.JPGIMG_1662.JPG.fd37472290df1cd3d3f6c2f720a3703b.JPGIMG_1663.JPG.d5d227f91f19b57b90f2883679fb12b3.JPG

• Like 7
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Father Dougal said:

Ummm..... I didn't know there was more than one size! It's from GJH plant.

Yes the other ones have got traffic services on the sides they normally carry clay or other powders.

Ok so, Mrs Doyle is away for a few days, so I have been cracking on with a few odd jobs. 

Today I have attended to the boring jobs of drilling holes in the baseboard, soldering lights and resistors and wiring up the control panel. (soldering resistors is a lonely job, all on my ohm)

Tomorrow I need to buy a few items at the model shop so I can start building the Pods to fit inside the various buildings. I expect I will complete the chip shop interior pod and the fish shop pods first.

more photos to follow soon.

Dougal.

4 hours ago, Father Dougal said:

Oh. I couldn't find any 'traffic services' decals- The ones I used came with the kit.

Dougal

They are like this one this is 00 if they did these in 0 I would get two

20140118_152636-2.jpg

So yesterday I spent a bit of time cleaning all my loco wheels, a good idea in principle.

But....

Today my little Fowler would not run at all, (which made me cuss a bit.)

I carefully dismantled her and discovered that my efforts to clean the wheels had been a bit over zealous and I had pushed the pick ups too far back- easily resolved once I identified the issue. I must say, the way Ixion put this loco together is really simple, I wish my kit built loco's were like them.

She is now back to pottering about on the layout at a snails pace, just as she should be.

Dougal

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Aha! A while ago I tried to build an 08 from a kit. This didn't go well and nearly put me off kit building for good. A while later I had another go and I sorted out a few issues, but I still had n issue with the wheels appearing to spin on the axles.

I ordered some new wheels from Slaters and they arrived today. Guess what? I figured out the problem and fixed it. It turns out that the wheels supplied with the kit were for an 02 or 03, which is why I had some issues with clearances.

it all seems obvious now, but fitting the correct wheels sorted out all the issues.

i already have the body shell done, aside from lights.

next step is to order a sound chip and fit the lights.

photos to follow soon.

dougal