My Layout and other projects.

Father Dougal

39 minutes ago, Father Dougal said:

Hi George, I fitted the sound chip a few months back. Dead easy. Have a look back in my posts.

Dougal

Hi Dougal, l will do as chip fitting is not my thing....

On 01/05/2019 at 18:53, georgeT said:

Hi Dougal, l will do as chip fitting is not my thing....

I will dig out the paperwork for the chip.

this one was a simple screw connection. The only real challenge was reading the wiring instructions as they were tiny- next time I will use a magnifying glass.

Dougal

• Like 1

On 02/05/2019 at 19:44, Father Dougal said:

I will dig out the paperwork for the chip.

this one was a simple screw connection. The only real challenge was reading the wiring instructions as they were tiny- next time I will use a magnifying glass.

Dougal

Dougal,

Maybe this pdf (which can be resized) will help.

Best regards,

Paul

MX696 wiring diagram.pdf

Ok so, I have spent much of this weekend finishing off my kit built 08. Finished in a work worn finish and Railfreight livery- 08805.

she now runs really well. I am awaiting an order of lamps and a driver and some liquid lead. All being well, I can order the decoder tomorrow.

The last image is for George, It shows my 37 with the lovely snakes nest of wires for my decoder. 

IMG_1690.JPG.12eabf05203574aa76e60139f8338791.JPGIMG_1691.JPG.e4d06048ce50280cd54140fb3acf6fa6.JPGIMG_1692.JPG.dad3bec8323ec445ad1cfceba6cb1b46.JPGIMG_1693.JPG.3e5807efe287cbfd1fc47593d92fc100.JPG

• Like 1

I arrived home early enough to order my decoder for the 08. 

This includes;

MX645R decoder- 08 sound, late version.

speaker ( 'baby boomer') LS 26x20x08

stay alive 860009 (6- 20 seconds).

Should arrive Thursday.

Dougal

My sound chip, lamps, driver and liquid lead all turned up today.

I fitted the sound chip et al pretty quickly!

This sound file is really impressive- there is even radio chatter from the driver to the shutter. It's like the little people are alive!

This file has a greater range of light options including a cab light. Usually I wire up the yellow and white wires to the blue (common return). I have yet to figure out which wire controls the cab light. Hopefully that nice Mr Chetter might read this and point me in the right direction.

driver and lamps to paint and fit and then time for some serious play time!

Dougal.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

All done now. I decided to upgrade my Sancheng 08 as well. Always been a lovely loco, but the decoder and sound file she came with were a bit basic and she didn't have a stay alive. The motor does have a flywheel.

I decided I liked the Railfreight livery so much, that I would repaint her too! Oh and I fitted some lights.

I finally have 2 08's pottering about.

As for the kit 08, I bit the bullet and scratch built a chassis as the one supplied appeared to be the cause of ongoing running issues.

Amazing what you can do with a bit of Plasticard! 

Feeling very pleased with myself now.

Dougal

• Like 3

A While ago my Dad gave me some money. I purchased a PRMRP class 25 kit. It ran ok, but I couldn't get the roof profile right. I rarely ran her on the layout.

Recently I have been upgrading this model, which involved a full paint strip. Never used Dettol before for this, but it was great.

The Kit is designed so that the power bogies fit straight onto the body shell. This is ok, but it makes access to the inside tricky, and I want to fit a sound decoder.

I have now built a plug in under frame. The power bogies connect to the underframe, making access really simple.

I still have a bit more to do, but so far I am really pleased I decided to go ahead. I also reinforced the body shell as it was too flimsy for me. I suspect I have over engineered it, but it works.

I also reprofiled the roof, which looks so much better than before. It is not perfect, but until we can clone tiny humans to drive the loco's, I won't worry too much.

photos to follow once I have tinkered a bit more.

Dougal

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

Ok so, After sunning myself for a few weeks I have spent a while working on the entrance to the back scene and the scenic work around the corner section.

Still loads to tidy up, but It is already looking much better. This weekend I will finish the Tunnel portal area and add retaining walls etc.

a few running shots too.

Dougal.IMG_1722.JPG.39ff69545e76d59b5da82afbb1bd67c6.JPGIMG_1723.JPG.17a1a3f03f5938323a70c5325552128d.JPGIMG_1725.JPG.1ce00d7ae76b1d644ba39108040bac41.JPGIMG_1726.JPG.107e739f4bb64d20a5c174a64b22e95f.JPG

• Like 3

Ok, I spent the weekend working on the retaining walls and tunnel portals. They are in situ now. I am just waiting on some bushes and static grass from Polak.

Once This is done I will post some grainy photos.

I have also, (finally) ordered a big boy decoder MX699 and a baby boomer - 26x20x8 speaker for my kit built class 20.

I would imagine they should arrive by Thursday. I have already pre-wired the lights so hopefully installation should be straightforward (famous last words).

Dougal

Edited by Father Dougal

Sound chip and speaker arrived today! 

I appear to have ordered the wrong speaker (Doah) - I should have ordered a double speaker!

I will fit this one for now and then either get another baby boomer or buy a double speaker.

Dougal

Edited by Father Dougal

14 hours ago, Father Dougal said:

Just thinking of next months project.

Not sure if I will either; 

sound fit and add lights to my kit built 25

or

Buy a Judith edge Sentinel kit

or

buy a Heljan 05 and add sound

or 

buy a Dapol 08 with sound.

Dougal

I must confess that the little Judith Edge Sentinel 0-4-0DM with chain-drive looks tempting. I hope you haven't sent me down another diversion.

CK

• Agree 1