Not for Peter, Pete's Workbench

N15class

Welcome to my new thread I hope you all will enjoy.

GWR DUKEDOG JAVALIN KIT page 1
LSWR S15 ACE PRODUCTS KIT page 4
LSWR M7 DJB KIT page 13.
LMS 1262 rebuild starts SLATERS KIT page 16.

LMS Jubilee class, from an old Oakville kit. Page 20

LNER F1 Gladiator kit, ex Northstar. Page 24

After a lot of thought I decided to move my work from my blog to this thread. Icame to the conclusion that although I prefer the Blog format I feel that there are fewer people looking at them, So as I am starting something new I thought it was a good time to start. I will still be my own models on Petes workbench, this is purelyfor anything I build that is not for me.

If you have not seen my blog you have missed out a quite a diverse list of builds. But for here the following will be progressing through the works. First up will be a Dukedog. This has been started but someone else,sosome rebuilding may well be needed. This will be followed orjoined by a LSWR/SR/BR S15 class, a LMS/BR Jubilee class, and a GWR/BR Saint class, which is a bit of a hienz 57, and as such I am looking forward to doing it.

The only thing I have done on the Dukedog is to take the frames apart. It was compensated on the drivers but bogie was doing nothing. I would like to giveit compensation as per Mike Sharmen and get the bogie taking some of the weight, This also means that I can get 2/3rds of the locos weight on the drivers. much better to be able to use some of the mass forward of the front drivers on traction. Next jobis to tack the frames together and get all the modifications done for the compensation. I will be trying to get the G6 closer to paint whilst this is going on so I do not expect fast progress on this loco.

post-13601-0-31722500-1447111638_thumb.jpg

Edited by N15class
  • Like 9
  • Agree 1

Hi Pete

Sorry to hear of the lack of response to your blog, it seems endemic. I have felt the same as you about this, I tried posting here but got no more response than in the blogs, but fingers crossed I hope it goes well for you, I shall certainly be following.

Come to think of it I might have a word with my two followers---------------- 

Welcome to my new thread I hope you all will enjoy.

After a lot of thought I decided to move my work from my blog to this thread. Icame to the conclusion that although I prefer the Blog format I feel that there are fewer people looking at them, So as I am starting something new I thought it was a good time to start. I will still be my own models on Petes workbench, this is purelyfor anything I build that is not for me.

If you have not seen my blog you have missed out a quite a diverse list of builds. But for here the following will be progressing through the works. First up will be a Dukedog. This has been started but someone else,sosome rebuilding may well be needed. This will be followed orjoined by a LSWR/SR/BR S15 class, a LMS/BR Jubilee class, and a GWR/BR Saint class, which is a bit of a hienz 57, and as such I am looking forward to doing it.

The only thing I have done on the Dukedog is to take the frames apart. It was compensated on the drivers but bogie was doing nothing. I would like to giveit compensation as per Mike Sharmen and get the bogie taking some of the weight, This also means that I can get 2/3rds of the locos weight on the drivers. much better to be able to use some of the mass forward of the front drivers on traction. Next jobis to tack the frames together and get all the modifications done for the compensation. I will be trying to get the G6 closer to paint whilst this is going on so I do not expect fast progress on this loco.

attachicon.gif1.jpg

Glad to see particularly as I have DA Duke on WB and by look of bits is very similar to your DDog.  I have Griffin motion and have not yet worked out how to incorporate it under smokebox.  Have never tried it before; have you?

• Like 1

Peter well done! I confess to rarely going to the Blogs section, but will follow this thread with interest.

How's the jet lag?

Fortunately there's not jet lag we are just 3 hours behind at the moment. But it does take 24 hours of travelling, plus I never sleep the night before when we have a 6am flight. But we are all rcovered now and actually back at the bench.

Thanks for the link.

You are welcome Hope you enjoy the read.

Hi Pete

Sorry to hear of the lack of response to your blog, it seems endemic. I have felt the same as you about this, I tried posting here but got no more response than in the blogs, but fingers crossed I hope it goes well for you, I shall certainly be following.

Come to think of it I might have a word with my two followers---------------- 

So am I it just seems to be lessand lesspeople viewing. Hopefully thinkswill bebetter here.

I keep forgetting about the Blog section.

Maybe it's just because it heads the list without any emphasis.

Anyway my bookmark for RMweb goes directly to this forum :)

I think a lot do. I do like the format and I try to look every day.

Glad to see particularly as I have DA Duke on WB and by look of bits is very similar to your DDog.  I have Griffin motion and have not yet worked out how to incorporate it under smokebox.  Have never tried it before; have you?

The top halves are basically the same so it should be ok for you. AsI said I want better compensation than supplied in the kit. It will also be an experiment for 2 or 3 0-4-4t's and a couple of 4-4-0's I would like for my layout.

You are welcome Hope you enjoy the read.

So am I it just seems to be lessand lesspeople viewing. Hopefully thinkswill bebetter here.

I think a lot do. I do like the format and I try to look every day.

The top halves are basically the same so it should be ok for you. AsI said I want better compensation than supplied in the kit. It will also be an experiment for 2 or 3 0-4-4t's and a couple of 4-4-0's I would like for my layout.

I have got as far as Slaters hornblocks on both axles and have more or less completed "body" but I'm puzzling how to adjust motion bracket(s) to fit Griffin slidebars and valve rods. I must say the Slaters hornblocks are very easy to use and so much cheaper than alternatives. 

As has been said before, the DA castings are superb.  I compared them to Jazz's build of the Gladiator DDog and they are definitely superior.

I have got as far as Slaters hornblocks on both axles and have more or less completed "body" but I'm puzzling how to adjust motion bracket(s) to fit Griffin slidebars and valve rods. I must say the Slaters hornblocks are very easy to use and so much cheaper than alternatives. 

As has been said before, the DA castings are superb.  I compared them to Jazz's build of the Gladiator DDog and they are definitely superior.

Mine is the ex Javelin one, which I do believe is with Gladiator. I have not used the new horns from Slater's. But reports seem to be positive. Have you your build on a thread?

Mine is the ex Javelin one, which I do believe is with Gladiator. I have not used the new horns from Slater's. But reports seem to be positive. Have you your build on a thread?

No thread as it has been a well worn path with Jazz, Sandy Harper x 2 and 5Bel all having done builds. Figured little interest in a 5th and the kit is good anyway with few pitfalls. The tender build is especially vanilla.

The ex Javelin is definitely with Gladiator but the DA is virtually the same according to Sandy as he has done one of each. Certainly your pics look v familiar.

No thread as it has been a well worn path with Jazz, Sandy Harper x 2 and 5Bel all having done builds. Figured little interest in a 5th and the kit is good anyway with few pitfalls. The tender build is especially vanilla.

The ex Javelin is definitely with Gladiator but the DA is virtually the same according to Sandy as he has done one of each. Certainly your pics look v familiar.

I suppose there is only a few ways you can make a loco kit and one would hope the frames from each would all look very similar.

Lets hope I do not bore very one with my build then.

• 2 weeks later...

Did a little today. I am still a little undecided whether to use the tender to add weight to the draw bar, or just compensate it as normal for me. I think I will weigh the loco tomorrow and see what sort of weight I have for traction. 

Anyway all I have done with the tender frames is join them together ready for whatever I decide to do.

post-13601-0-52983200-1448315809_thumb.jpg

As for the loco I have decided what to do. I will mount the bogie on a fixed centre pivot as one of the legs of the three point. The other two will be the side beams on the two drivers. I will also give the bogie simple three point too. I am unsure about side play yet. I will try without first then add if it does not go throw Peco points.

post-13601-0-80277900-1448315780_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-52983200-1448315809_thumb.jpg

Hopefully there will be some meaningful progress. That is if the priming of the G6 does not take to long.

post-13601-0-20894900-1448315749_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Did a little today. I am still a little undecided whether to use the tender to add weight to the draw bar, or just compensate it as normal for me. I think I will weigh the loco tomorrow and see what sort of weight I have for traction. 

Anyway all I have done with the tender frames is join them together ready for whatever I decide to do.

attachicon.gifd.jpg

As for the loco I have decided what to do. I will mount the bogie on a fixed centre pivot as one of the legs of the three point. The other two will be the side beams on the two drivers. I will also give the bogie simple three point too. I am unsure about side play yet. I will try without first then add if it does not go throw Peco points.

attachicon.gifc.jpg

attachicon.gifd.jpg

Hopefully there will be some meaningful progress. That is if the priming of the G6 does not take to long.

That should work a treat Peter  . It is surprising how much lead you can stuff into that small fire box, even with a Cannon or 1833 in there. Using the three points system will of course mean you can put some in the boiler as well.

Regards

Sandy

That should work a treat Peter  . It is surprising how much lead you can stuff into that small fire box, even with a Cannon or 1833 in there. Using the three points system will of course mean you can put some in the boiler as well.

Regards

Sandy

I had a look at where the bogie and driving wheel pivots are, and it gives the whole of the boiler barrel for weight if needed. It is all  within the triangle, a little high but nice to know its there if needed.. I am now thinking on just a normal compensation job on the tender.

Guest Lyonesse

> After a lot of thought I decided to move my work from my blog to this thread. Icame to the conclusion that although I prefer the Blog format I feel that there are fewer people looking at them,

I rarely look at the blogs, so you're probaly right that a thread here will get more views.  But at the end of the day, modelling should be for your own pleasure.  It's gratifying if someone else gets pleasure from reading about your modelling and spends time to comment but to my mind it's very much secondary to the pleasure of the modelling itself, for its own sake.

> After a lot of thought I decided to move my work from my blog to this thread. Icame to the conclusion that although I prefer the Blog format I feel that there are fewer people looking at them,

I rarely look at the blogs, so you're probaly right that a thread here will get more views.  But at the end of the day, modelling should be for your own pleasure.  It's gratifying if someone else gets pleasure from reading about your modelling and spends time to comment but to my mind it's very much secondary to the pleasure of the modelling itself, for its own sake.

I totally agree.

I came to the thread from the blog because I wanted to share what I do with more people. To hopefully inspire to do more, and for me to hear other peoples views on my work good and bad. A well thought out criticism is often far more use than a well done.

For me the modelling comes first. Then as a byproduct if I can pass on any of my knowledge and my pleasure all the better. I find the forum a wonderful place, I generally find I learn something new each day from threads here also. I have never been into clubs as I have not found one that suits my modelling, so have been a fairly solitary modeller.  So it's nice to find that here I can chat and watch modellers with a similar outlook to model making. 

• Like 2

Guest Lyonesse

I totally agree.

I came to the thread from the blog because I wanted to share what I do with more people. To hopefully inspire to do more, and for me to hear other peoples views on my work good and bad. A well thought out criticism is often far more use than a well done.

For me the modelling comes first. Then as a byproduct if I can pass on any of my knowledge and my pleasure all the better. I find the forum a wonderful place, I generally find I learn something new each day from threads here also. I have never been into clubs as I have not found one that suits my modelling, so have been a fairly solitary modeller.  So it's nice to find that here I can chat and watch modellers with a similar outlook to model making. 

Then we're on the same wavelength.  Thanks for sharing your work; I'm looking forward to seeing how this thread develops.

Just a little done with this, I have been painting my G6 and playing with bits for the layout.

I have finished the compensation on the bogie, I will sort the centre pin once the drivers side beams are done. I am looking forward to joining the bogie to frames to see how well it will go through point work.

post-13601-0-51333900-1449008648_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-48236500-1449008987_thumb.jpg

As you can see it is a very simple job that should work a treat.

• Like 2

Excuse me coming late to the thread/topic.

They do have the habit of vanishing down the "view new content" - even more so if one is away for any period of time (like a couple of hours, enough for a topic to vanish out to page 8!).

I tried blogs but following a software update they just don#t display correctly and hardly anything works on them so I just don't bother any more. For all I know those faults have been fixed but I doubt it very much.

I have enough trouble keeping up with all my favourite topics to waste time on the blogs.

Agree completely with your comment above. I like to see mistakes and problems (OK I like to see the easy builds as well) but seeing the issues with a kit really helps me from falling into the same trap and often gives a solution to those problems.

.... and the purpose of this post ... well the "follow this topic" button is another broken bit of code and posting is the only way to get an email when the topic gets updated.

I have today fixed the bearings to the side beams and made a pivot. I am lucky enough to have two sets of drivers for this So I will use one for this early testing, and use the others later on.

post-13601-0-78668500-1449101017_thumb.jpg

I made a temporary bogie pivot, to get the ride height right. Also to test it through a Peco point.

post-13601-0-83311200-1449101038_thumb.jpg

The whole thing is very steady and seems to work very well. Its a little trick testing as the driving wheels are not pushed home as I need to be able to get them on and off at the moment.

post-13601-0-78994500-1449101057_thumb.jpg

I also did a test fit under the body. All looks well at the moment. I am unsure if the body needs to come to bits. It looks quite good apart from the lower part of the firebox. I will see what the instructions say before I make any decisions.

post-13601-0-05976900-1449101078_thumb.jpg

Hopefully a bit more tomorrow, if pie making does not take up to much time.

• Like 7

Pete

Your timing's brilliant, as I want to build one of these (although as Tre Pol & Pen, as otherwise they're too late for my layout)

I'm sure the forum is easier to follow than blogs, I've never quite got my head round them, which is a shame because there's some great stuff in there.

Keep up the good work, we're watching!

Simon

• 2 weeks later...

Pete

Your timing's brilliant, as I want to build one of these (although as Tre Pol & Pen, as otherwise they're too late for my layout)

I'm sure the forum is easier to follow than blogs, I've never quite got my head round them, which is a shame because there's some great stuff in there.

Keep up the good work, we're watching!

Simon

Hi Simon

I am sure there isn't much that you need to learn about loco building.

I am hoping that I can get back to this next week, now I have the G6 done. 

First time for a while I managed to get this on the bench, and may well be another week or so before I get to do more.

After playing with the compensation I needed to make a permanent mount and pivot for the bogie.

First up was to get the bogie stretcher flat with the right sized hole in it. This was done by adding a scrap of etching fret over the top. The hole was redrilled it was noted the the one in the original was off centre front to back.

post-13601-0-10990600-1450822126_thumb.jpg

The pivot cam with the kit but has been modified slightly doming the wrong end, cutting to length and fitting upside down. I also made a shouldered screw from normal screw with a short length tube and a washer. I normally only sort these bit out at the end but thought I would would try to be organized.

post-13601-0-62931500-1450822143_thumb.jpg

It was recheck on a Peco point. It is tight but I may get away with not taking out any material from the frames. Which at the arches are only 4 to 5mm deep. The outer part of the bogie was done when I got the kit.

post-13601-0-45410000-1450822166_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-54937200-1450822186_thumb.jpg

I then tried it all again with the body on. The wheels are very close to the splasher tops, I am hoping this is not going to be a problem later. For some reason the body seems to be high at the front, but the frame tops were level will need to check this.

post-13601-0-52146500-1450822208_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-65675500-1450822228_thumb.jpg

I have always been a bit unsure of the body, so today I took the boiler band next to the fire box off, a gap was under it So now the cab, firebox, boiler and smokebox are in component parts on the bench. The footplate I think is fine apart from a couple of small resolder jobs. 

Happy Christmas to you all. Hope you have a good time.

• Like 6

Hi Peter

I seem to remember that when I built mine I needed to trim the chassis and splasher tops slightly, plus elongate the pivot hole to allow a tad of sidewise movement to get it to go through Peco points. If you are fitting the dummy inside valve gear as well, that will cause issues with the throw of the bogie, and a bit of judicial trimming of some of the lower parts may be required! I also recall that I was advised to use a slightly smaller diameter wheel, but I can't remember if I did or not!! Age!!!

Merry Christmas

Sandy

• Like 1