'Cambrian Street'

BobM

• RMweb Gold

Cheers George....It was a brilliant show...such talented model makers and loads of inspiration...Regards Bob

This  seems better to myself...

attachicon.gif100_8845 (640x480).jpg

This way is the layout I see on all layouts though...

attachicon.gif100_8835 (640x480).jpg

Hello,

The staiths next to the track were actually the exception rather than the rule. In most cases, the coal was unloaded into wating bags or waiting lorries/wagons and then any left over from that operation would be manhandled into the staiths for storage. This allowed the wagons to get back onto the network as quick as possible. Apologies if I am teaching grannies how to suck eggs.......

• Informative/Useful 1

Cheers for the message......much appreciated...whilst I have always seen the bins located beside the tracks on many a layout, all the information and advice that I have been given was to the contrary in that, as you suggest and is the intention on my modest layout, to have the said bins, within the yard.......the coal arriving either being unloaded directly from the wagons into awaiting lorries, or as it has been suggested, moved manually over into bins for storage and later shipment, thus providing the bonus of having lorries, horse drawn vehicles (and horses moving wagons into the private siding) as well as modelling the poor devils that had to shift the stuff physically in the process......!

Cheers everyone, regards as always....

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Guys...........

Hope you're all okay and keeping well......?

Progress has been made over the last month or so, mainly on continuing to position tracks to ensure all fits and clearances are in order......have also recently purchased a Bachmann Wooden Coach Shed to accommodate overnight stabled 'local' coaching stock.....photos here to show what's been going on and for comments as usual (which are always appreciated)...so here goes......

The station throat......

post-20610-0-16164900-1463255998.jpg

this has been re-aligned, the triple lines now not parallel........although the down and relief / local / goods continue to be so....this alteration I believe provides greater scope for a double arch bridge, the up on the left...........

The goods yard has been tweaked slightly.......

post-20610-0-99329100-1463256548.jpg

turntable and stabling

post-20610-0-35999400-1463256627.jpg

access to engine shed....carriage shed and up and down to station (for example this 28xx is running tender first on the up)....

post-20610-0-14882300-1463256741.jpg

Station view......up (departures) on the left will accommodate 5 coaches plus loco (maximum King but wouldn't be operating that size on here)...the small stub is for guards van 'skip' siding.....

post-20610-0-26557500-1463256824.jpg

Cheers

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Now that the 'spring rush' at the nursery is coming to an end, hopefully there'll be a little more time available for leisure time on the layout, that is if the garden doesn't take priority? Have a great summer guys...enjoy the weather whilst it is here,,,,it may be a distant memory soon ?

Regards

Bob

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Have made some readjustments and will post images of these as I get down to the business of joining, laying and setting the track into position.......

Cheers Guys,,,,,,

Regards as always

Bob

Hello Guys....

Evening 'Watering' of everything 'horticultural has been the all important factor during summer evenings this season, so time has been limited on the layout but have shot up stairs to take a few images for here to keep the topic 'live' as possible....images show the station and goods yard head shunts then the goods yard and finally a few images of the engine shed / mpd....all open to modifications and comments as always greatly appreciated my friends......cheers have a great Bank Holiday, that is if you're south of 'The Border' or unlike myself, not having to work tomorrow......

Regards as always

Bob

post-20610-0-14602500-1472418499.jpg

'Cambrian Street' Station to the upper right, the good yard head shunt / guards van 'kip' and goods siding to the left.....

post-20610-0-01188700-1472418607.jpg

Looking in the 'up' direction.....intended goods yard to the upper right, the 'up' to the left and 'down right' together with the relief / goods line exiting the station throat....

post-20610-0-58387600-1472418751.jpg

Engine shed / mpd layout entrance upper right......two sidings to left, access through double slip (head shunt) and three way to double shed bays...access to turntable stabling or following right hand to ash pit / coaling and on to loco length (in case of not requiring turning) access

post-20610-0-03469400-1472419017.jpg

View across steam shed yard

Edited by BobM
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...

Hello and Good Evening Guys......

Firstly can I say sorry for not keeping this topic updated more frequently, life has been busy here at 'Bobbert Towers' and progress on Cambrian Street has had to be slow or placed on the back-burner, but hopefully things may move ahead a little now.....

Secondly I have to say sorry for the very badly drawn and not to scale image here......but it hopefully indicates the planned and slightly revamped engine shed that is to be one part of 'Cambrian Street'......as always comments and ideas on tweaks would be appreciated.....

post-20610-0-64848800-1479324792.jpg

Hopefully there is a logical flow to the yard......the ash and coal wagon track are scenic only........there is a repair shop located off the turntable.....comments please,,,,,

Have  tweaked the road off the three way point...diagram here

post-20610-0-01799000-1479326595.jpg

Regards and best wishes 

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 1

Further to recent postings.....any progress on 'Cambrian Street' having to be 'shunted' into a  proverbial 'siding' during recent months, it does have the effect of focusing the mind on perhaps something that which doesn't look good when you see with fresh eyes after a break......

I would appreciate comments on the alterations I have made to the station throat track layout posted here as a series of images......

looking at the original layout I now see that perhaps it was too complicated for the station space and consequently have pruned out and simplified some of the poin twork..we still have two main lines and a relief, local and parcels road, which all remain linked together (outside the station domain) into a single line operation.....

Although there is no intention to operate King Class locomotives within Cambrian Street platforms, they are of sufficient length to accommodate such and five coaches with ease....

Would appreciate comments and suggestions from you kind guys as always......

post-20610-0-00274000-1479413145.jpg

post-20610-0-95287500-1479413172.jpg

post-20610-0-37532600-1479413197.jpg

post-20610-0-78037500-1479413223.jpg

• Like 4

Hi Bob,

Have just found your thread an enjoyed reading through it. I like the look of the changes you have made and like the new engine shed area you have designed. I will look forward to seeing it develop when life allows.

Gary

Cheers Gary.....I'm sure there'll be further 'tweaks', some of them good, some of them 'not so good' along the way.....will keep 'posting'....Regards Bob

Hello Guys.....This may be a large posting so, hopefully I'll not make a complete hash of it, and you'll understand what I am wittering on about at the end of it, if you haven't either fallen asleep or skipped over in the meantime.....? I really do appreciate everyone's input and critical eye, as I am approaching this return to railway modelling after a 45 year gap and with some trepidation......

with regard to the station throat which consists of three bi-directional lines, emminating from a (bi directional) single main line such as the Cambrian or SVR heritage line, I have (rightly or wrongly, so please advise) altered from the first image to the second which now is made up of a single slip, the thinking being that the two lines have access to the main platform.......shown here....

Originally this

post-20610-0-69321900-1479579780.jpg

to this set up containing a single slip

post-20610-0-29799200-1479580080.jpg

any improvement guys?

Here too are a few images of the intended station layout and excuse please the use of the inside of bog roll tubes, but these are intended to show the possible positioning of the footbridge bridge......

post-20610-0-83032100-1479580391.jpg

The Bachmann box with the blue file pack on the top is where the signal box will be positioned, the white box and the two long Bachmann boxes indicate where the station buildings will be situated with street scene behind......shewn here....

post-20610-0-31298200-1479580564.jpg

Goods head shunt. brake van 'kip' and town goods / parcels 

post-20610-0-18189500-1479580658.jpg

and finally for anyone who hasn't fallen asleep or hanging their head in their hands with desperation a couple of final overall views.....

post-20610-0-94716900-1479580966.jpg

post-20610-0-21190000-1479580838.jpg

Cheers Guys...Regards as always, comments appreciated but 'be gentle' with me !

Bob

post-20610-0-00802300-1479580224.jpg

post-20610-0-97131100-1479580319.jpg

Edited by BobM
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hello guys....

Hope all are well......?

Now that the chilly and darker nights are here, there's more time to spend on Cambrian Street rather than the garden or a walk along the towpath to Bratch and the local pub for tea.....I am however in need of some advice if possible.....

I have mapped out the engine shed here, but I need advice on how I could place a scenic only coaling stage somewhere on the line to the turntable....I am constrained for space at the three point only able to headshunt locos into the lines.....so cannot have this as a working coal stage sadly.....cheers guys..best wishes....Bob

post-20610-0-01369500-1480539576.jpg

Hello...Me again...

Just been sketching something and would appreciate comments..........have considered not having the coaling stage at all. but scaling down the plan and looking at many 'older GWR' shed plans that just encompassed a raised platform fed by coal wagons.....

the plan here shows that arriving locos can enter the siding be coaled up and possibly watered, then after being headshunted could run either into the shed, or run onto the ash pits before being turned if necessary, (the length of line before the turntable allows locos to or the loop gives enough room to do so, a siding allow ash wagons to take the ash waste....comments please!

post-20610-0-87382400-1480543206.jpg

Just pondering though the shunting procedures for the wagons?

Edited by BobM
  • Like 2

Just another adaptation of the engine shed plan, coaling and ash pits to the northwest, sidings realigned to the south....looks okay but will 'sleep on it'.....comments appreciated as always...

Regards to all

Bob

post-20610-0-12907600-1480611088.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Looking good, again I don't really know how the GWR would have done it but do you need that many Coaling Stages? and If the would have had multiple would they not have been closer together?

If you go with that plan I personally would use the sidings in the south for loco stabling. Looking forward to seeing whatever you end up doing.

Gary

• Like 1

Just been having a quick read of the thread and very impressed with the work you are doing. Plus the added addition that it is based vaguely on Aberystwyth is great as I live there! 

Hello....I know Aberystwyth quite well, and feel so dearly at home there every time I visit, which is quite regularly and little old Borth too...I wish that I had the space to do Aberystwyth station justice here at home but sadly I do not.........

I have a long term plan to hopefully live within the Aberystwyth area later in life and then hopefully given sufficient room....and if (if there isn't one already) start up a modelling society with an aim to build a complete detailed layout of the original station, its goods yard, the engine shed and V o R, with the correct track plan and the line to the south as well...... :locomotive: Hopefully as a tourist attraction itself close to the V o R railway, my volunteering commitments switiching from currently the SVR to that delightful narrow guage line.....to keep me sain !

My family used to have a small holding dairy farm at Buchlan near Lampeter in the 50's (well before my time) but heard so much about them travelling into Aberystwyth along the now disused (hopefully to be reinstated) line from Carmarthen.....

I wish too that the station looked now as it did back in the steam era....but never mind eh?

Regards

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 1

Looking good, again I don't really know how the GWR would have done it but do you need that many Coaling Stages? and If the would have had multiple would they not have been closer together?

If you go with that plan I personally would use the sidings in the south for loco stabling. Looking forward to seeing whatever you end up doing.

Gary

Cheers once again Gary for the very kind comments and taking the time to view and comment on my blog.......yes, I agree I can see the sense that it would be 'coal overload' to have so many coaling platforms with close proximity or within indeed one shed or MPD......so it is my intention to have only one main coaling platform, possibly where I had originally placed it ( to the northwest)........I believe that even though the majority of the larger sheds on the GWR had inclined coal ramps to a stage where the coal was emptied into the loco's tender from above, the ash spoil being deposited into wagons which were shunted into a dedicated 'dead end' siding aside the locomotive, both of which I do not have either the space for or the modelling expertise to recreate, there were a vast number of sheds that did not and it is this 'simpler' shed that I would like to attempt to give some atmosphere too, whether I'll do justice to it, on these terms I am unsure at the moment, but I'll give it a go anyway.....I think your sound advice to use the southern lines as sidings  is the way forwards......

Cheers and thanks again....have a good weekend when it arrives, being a volunteer on the SVR at Arley , 'we' have Santa arriving this Saturday !  :locomotive:

Edited by BobM
  • Like 2

As there seemed to be axailable space within the area south of the shed, I have quickly and tentatively made a further tweak to the roads entering the shed itself, pinching the layout from Pwllheli where there is a short road to the right of the lines into the shed, have only just adjusted the lines on the layout roughly and need to check the clearances for the inspection pits etc., before committing it to the final design but initially it looks okay.....the idea is roughly sketched out here, but not to scale........

post-20610-0-73638600-1480626223.jpg

Cheers guys....

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 2

Hi Guys 

Here is a photographic update on the layout as it currently stands, with recent tweaks and hopefully positive modifications undertaken...any comments as ever are greatly appreciated, I am only trying to recreate something worthy of a model layout, nothing too prototypical as that would be out of my depth completely, but just having some fun along the way too...so here go's.....

The station 'Cambrian Street'.....in concept remains basically the same....

post-20610-0-87829600-1480711856.jpg

post-20610-0-05128800-1480712090.jpg

post-20610-0-79718300-1480712127.jpg

as does the guards wagon 'kip' and goods yard headshunt / siding

post-20610-0-19208400-1480712223.jpg

the goods yard 

post-20610-0-29690900-1480712310.jpg

post-20610-0-98771500-1480712340.jpg

unsure about the provision of the cattle dock...may not incorporate this into the final scheme?

includes coal suppliers two companies

post-20610-0-00118300-1480713415.jpg

post-20610-0-87976700-1480713542.jpg

There's a pilot loco stabling line

post-20610-0-93056900-1480712665.jpg

the link through to the engine shed, carriage shed (for local stock only) ,,,,with all three station throat lines able to access the engine shed and filter into the now single main line......

post-20610-0-46382000-1480712458.jpg

the engine shed

post-20610-0-10169700-1480712600.jpg

post-20610-0-33151600-1480712745.jpg

coaling and ash pit line

post-20610-0-43740900-1480712811.jpg

post-20610-0-70857000-1480713001.jpg

Turntable and repair shop...

post-20610-0-99143000-1480713061.jpg

,,,,,,provision of a length of line before the turntable allows locos not requiring to be turned to shunt without entering the turntable...

That's enough I think....hopefully most updates are covered....appreciate any comments guys as always....

Cheers

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 2

It's looking good Bob, I wish I had that much space to play with. Must be time to start pinning the track down soon?

Gary

Now you're scaring me Gary...pinning it down, electrics, signalling oh my!

• Friendly/supportive 1

post-20610-0-80532800-1480803244.jpg

Hello Guys....Having 'slept' on the design concept of the engine shed, I am wondering whether the fact that the loco entering the combined ash disposal, coaling (watering road) would when complete have to reverse into headshunt then move forward through the three point and then reverse into either the shed (or turntable roads) then back through the headshunt and reverse into the shed. would be too over kill and not correct procedure?  Good for shunting operations on a layout but true to form?

Advice please...

Regards to all ,

Bob

Edited by BobM