'Cambrian Street'

BobM

Hi.....

Surface drying quite neatly....whether it is the room lighting, my tired eyes or what.....but there seems to be a slight grey-green tinge developing as it dries, will require guidance how to correct if so.....

.......or if an overall lighter wash would now tie everything together....?

Regards always.....

Bob

Hi Lez......

Sorry must have 'jumped over' your kind posting as I wrote the above.....will take a look tomorrow.....

Regards always with thanks....

Bob

• Like 1

Hi Bob

Please excuse my comments "from the back seat" (cirtenly as I don't have a layout).

I've been looking at various pictures on Flickr for reference, and some sidings look darker in the 4' than compared to the area to the next siding. Might it be worth applying a darker wash in the 4'

Keep up the postings

Regards

• Like 1

I think the darker colour looks good Bob, not such a stark contrast with the coal yard. As Chris said maybe darken the 4ft. After that you could do some drybrushing. I find the problem is knowing when to stop and in the past I put down loads of paint until I got the look I want!

Steve.

I think the darker colour looks good Bob, not such a stark contrast with the coal yard. As Chris said maybe darken the 4ft. After that you could do some drybrushing. I find the problem is knowing when to stop and in the past I put down loads of paint until I got the look I want!

Steve.

Or move on to the next bit Bob, and come back and re treat all areas once more is done, you will find the overall look is far better, and more consistent for an overall effect. Look at projects like Tony Wrights Little Bytham, overall weathering done once all laid, and some scenics in place.

Laid but NO weathering.

post-9335-0-58434100-1548492993_thumb.jpg

Right hand Tracks first weathering added.

post-9335-0-26330100-1548493062_thumb.jpg

I tend to Ballast, and then once more scenery etc is done, you can get a better colour balance for the project as a whole rather than keep working on the same area.

I hope that helps a bit mate.

• Like 1

Morning all.....

Thanks guys for the kind comments, much appreciated......

Yep....the 4' certainly needs to be darkened and the sleepers also require attention as well........

In am mindful that I don't overdo the darkness or make a mess of it as I do go over areas if I'm not happy with it....but I do feel that it requires further work yet...the oily bits seem to be okay this morning, still shiny but not bright and also forming that whitish bloom that appears where oil, water and muck combine, this none of my design. just happening!

Regards always...

Bob

• Like 1

Or move on to the next bit Bob, and come back and re treat all areas once more is done, you will find the overall look is far better, and more consistent for an overall effect. Look at projects like Tony Wrights Little Bytham, overall weathering done once all laid, and some scenics in place.

Laid but NO weathering.

attachicon.gifpost-18225-0-29258600-1411154619.jpg

Right hand Tracks first weathering added.

attachicon.gifmaxresdefault.jpg

I tend to Ballast, and then once more scenery etc is done, you can get a better colour balance for the project as a whole rather than keep working on the same area.

I hope that helps a bit mate.

Hi Andy.....

Thank you....brilliant and timely advice.......

I may well indeed move on to another area and revisit,  blending areas into each other as a whole part....?

Hope you are okay...?

Regards always...

Bob

• Like 2

Hi Bob

Please excuse my comments "from the back seat" (cirtenly as I don't have a layout).

I've been looking at various pictures on Flickr for reference, and some sidings look darker in the 4' than compared to the area to the next siding. Might it be worth applying a darker wash in the 4'

Keep up the postings

Regards

H Chris.....

Thanks for the posting...please keep the comments coming...always appreciative of everyone's input....

Regards always...

Bob

• Like 1

Hi Guys.....

All chipper I hope....?

Have made progress (hope you'll agree) on the toning of the goods yard 'ash' representation........

.......taking onboard Lez's advice and acknowledging Chris's quite sound observation about the colour of the 4' being too light have set about initial process of colouring both.......

so dry brushing dark earth lightly across the whole of the yard area.....this has had a noticeable effect immediately, the colours now blended all the tones together...... I am happy with the effect and may leave alone now as not to over work or destroy the surface as it stands........

......made up a mixture of dark earth and black, this thinned down and then applied to the lighter areas of the 4'......I did then begin to pick out the sleepers that had lost their definition or covered unintentionally......further work on both still required I believe.....but again won't overwork it.....

Here are few images to indicate where we are at now......comments guys appreciated as always as well as any remedial advice you think necessary.......

post-20610-0-10023900-1548540891_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-52261900-1548540977_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-14117400-1548541438_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-49356400-1548541542_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-84924700-1548541715_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-38109900-1548541775_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-18264900-1548541922_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-37607700-1548542050_thumb.jpg

Regards always...

Bob

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Hi Bob,

I'm going to be the voice of dissent (sorry). It looks too dark to me and the junction between the DAS and the original ballast seems a bit abrupt. I'm no expert on the colour or texture of the kind of yard you are modelling but I would make four points:

1. Many other model yard surfaces looks lighter (to me).
  2. Ash might be dark when it's wet but like most things it dries to a lighter colour.
  3. I would expect there to be more contrast between the coal waste and the ash surface? Maybe?
  4. It's a bit gloomy! ;-)

It's very difficult to judge these things.

I wonder about the lighting conditions. It looks like your camera has difficulty focusing and that suggests there's not enough light for it (combined with the dark subject). If you plan to improve the lighting for the finished layout it might be a good idea to do that now so that the lighting conditions are the same now while you're judging colours as when you're running the layout.

Maybe you could "feather" the DAS-to-ballast interface by spreading another wet layer (DAS, or PVA or paint), scattering some ballast particles near the rails, then lightly brushing them out onto the wet surface and pressing them in a bit. (And maybe you could scatter some fine Arley ash into the wet surface of the 6ft and press it in to get a bit more texture?) It would be great to hear what the others think about those ideas.

I don't think you should worry too much about sleepers getting covered and losing definition - that's very realistic! In fact, where people needed to cross the tracks on foot with barrows or carts, the yard surface was deliberately built up either side of the track and in the 4ft.

If you think I'm talking rubbish, no problem! Whatever you do keep pushing on because you're getting much further than a lot of people ever do.

Edit: I hope I haven't misunderstood the stage that you're at in the build-up of the surface...?

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 2

Hi Bob,

I'm going to be the voice of dissent (sorry). It looks too dark to me and the junction between the DAS and the original ballast seems a bit abrupt. I'm no expert on the colour or texture of the kind of yard you are modelling but I would make four points:

1. Many other model yard surfaces looks lighter (to me).
  2. Ash might be dark when it's wet but like most things it dries to a lighter colour.
  3. I would expect there to be more contrast between the coal waste and the ash surface? Maybe?
  4. It's a bit gloomy! ;-)

It's very difficult to judge these things.

I wonder about the lighting conditions. It looks like your camera has difficulty focusing and that suggests there's not enough light for it (combined with the dark subject). If you plan to improve the lighting for the finished layout it might be a good idea to do that now so that the lighting conditions are the same now while you're judging colours as when you're running the layout.

Maybe you could "feather" the DAS-to-ballast interface by spreading another wet layer (DAS, or PVA or paint), scattering some ballast particles near the rails, then lightly brushing them out onto the wet surface and pressing them in a bit. (And maybe you could scatter some fine Arley ash into the wet surface of the 6ft and press it in to get a bit more texture?) It would be great to hear what the others think about those ideas.

I don't think you should worry too much about sleepers getting covered and losing definition - that's very realistic! In fact, where people needed to cross the tracks on foot with barrows or carts, the yard surface was deliberately built up either side of the track and in the 4ft.

If you think I'm talking rubbish, no problem! Whatever you do keep pushing on because you're getting much further than a lot of people ever do.

Edit: I hope I haven't misunderstood the stage that you're at in the build-up of the surface...?

Hi Phil......

Please you don't have to say sorry at all my friend.....I value every comment everyone posts on here....I am soaking up all the advice and posts made as I am learning and learning on every stage of this.....

It is dark admittedly, perhaps a tad overly dark than I would have liked....

.......the camera and room lighting which neither help or are good, as the former is just a compact cheap thing, the latter just ordinary bedroom lighting so we are off to a poor start....

I did find that all the images I'd seen of yards using DAS clay were I my eyes, much to 'clean'...when compared to even our yard at Arley when fresh and dry (the ash from which is on the coal yard of the layout)...

post-20610-0-12012800-1548617568_thumb.jpg

I am still working on this stage but would certainly wish to lighten the surface and add a further texture....to blend the edges......

Please everyone, keep the comments and posting coming.....and you are certainly not talking rubbish Phil....your comments are timely, thoughtful and considered......I am as always, greatly appreciative of the input....

Regards always....

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 1

Hi....

Just searching for goods yard images and ideas

..found these interesting postings....! (No copyright infringement intended)... what grot eh...?

post-20610-0-18747800-1548626244.jpg

post-20610-0-33633300-1548626255.jpg

post-20610-0-36075400-1548626267.jpg

post-20610-0-73065500-1548626275_thumb.jpg

Regards always....

Bob

• Like 5

Not my intended time period but here's a much cleaner, lighter grey surface...quite how I'd get to this...?

post-20610-0-76170100-1548629959.jpg

Regards always...

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 5

Hi Guys.....

An update before turning in......will continue with the goods yard development......if I can lighten the surface slightly or add further texture.....will post as I progress....

Cheers everyone....

Regards always....

Bob

Nice photo's Bob, there's loads of inspiration in there. That's kind of the look I tried to acheive with my Metcalfe Yard layout. I dont think you need to add any more texture, if you look at the photo's you dont actually see a lot of noticable texture. There is a couple of good books I could recomend on the subject of scenery that helped me, both by Wild Swan books, not cheap but fantastic reading. I've found from reading Chris Nevards stuff that Beiges and Greys look better for 4mm scale. As said above, if you're getting stuck move on to something else then revisit it a bit later.

Steve.

• Like 1

Hi...Guys.....

Thanks for all the postings.....much to think about and a bit to do...

I am minded to take a tentative step to rectify the darkness....initially by placing a very weak, diluted wash of artex (with perhaps a hint of weathering podwer in it to take of the white residual bloom that may remain when dry) over firstly one small area to see whether this dries out to something which I can then again wash over with a lighter colour....then repeat over all the yard if successful

If I don't attempt something, this'll bug me all the time...looking at it unaltered...

Will keep you updated.....

Regards always...

Bob

Edited by BobM

Evening my good friends.....

Before this good site goes on maintenance shutdown for a couple of days thought I'd post what I've done this evening.....

Hope you're all okay.....and ready for a 'bit of the white stuff' (potentially)......?

...there has been a flaw in my character that I can recall from a very young nipper that when 'something doesn't look right' or anything that I've done which is not up to the standards or expectations that either myself or others would want...then I won't settle until I've set about rectifying the problem.....and so it is with the attempts to recreate an ash effect yard across the top of the goods yard....

all seemed well with the effect but the colouring dried much too dark and dull to represent ash.....so with all the kind support of you guys have initially begun to lighten the existing surface, which now once dry I can set about colouring up once more......

So.....mixing up artex / water / 'smoke' weathering powder solution.....painted this across the very dark existing surface......initially when this was applied it went solid blue grey then after about 15mins lightened up as it both soaked into and dried out.......as it became touch dry rubbed firstly with my fingers then a dry artist brush...the effect was to create the shown effect which I will allow to dry fully before deciding further action......

Much lighter in colour as a basis for remedial work I am sure you'll agree......? 

Would some weak PVA painted onto the grey surface with a sprinkled sand covering, which could then be painted, provide some  texture...?

Feel that I need to diminish that 'knobbly surface'....?

Comments please.....at least it's a start...!

post-20610-0-08657100-1548706609_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-62113700-1548706689_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-51535700-1548706772_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-03509700-1548706856_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-12891100-1548706949_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-98414200-1548707014_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-69177600-1548707089_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-15619100-1548707164_thumb.jpg

Regards always.....

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Bob.

I finally managed to log back in after resetting  my PW. What a palaver.  Anyway I think it looks great mate. I think you need to add a bit of ground cover in the shape of some ash but grind it a bit more so it's finer, then add some greenery.

Regards Lez.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hi....

I have hopefully logged in....seemingly my page was 'open' and i was already logged in.....

I have been tweaking things..I have not had a 'good' time with Cambrian Street the past couple of days.....I could have taken an axe to the whole thing and reduced the layout to ash as I felt I'd messed everything up,,,,but I have indeed used the surface as a base.....

have ground up some arley ash, mixed it with sand and talc, adhering this with pva......has made a rougher surface, which could be set with water / pva later and coloured....attempting to add a lighter mix too later......

Will post images......later.....

Good to be back.....trying to get to grips with this new set up though....? Must have been a nightmare for admin staff,,,!

Regards always....

Bob

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Bob,

Sorry to hear you have a bad couple of days with the layout, but don't let an axe near it!! I have missed your updates while the site has been down. I think yours was the last one I read before it went.

Looking forward to some images later!

Gary

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Thanks to all for the postings.......navigating the new site...but as yet to locate where the layouts I've been following are now sitting...?

here are  few images of what the ash / sand / talc mixture looks like atop the das cals mix..... the lighting and camera are not good so a few on different setting may give an average view.....

104_1199.JPG.8c182e2da71444eeb7fcfce2dfebb266.JPG

104_1184.JPG.add90415737faccca6ad5c08118a9e30.JPG104_1185.JPG.92c3cb70f17d1a90b2d79f6c878b989d.JPG

• Like 2