'Cambrian Street'

BobM

3 hours ago, calvin Streeting said:

hi... forund this today re: Scratch Building A Plate Girder Bridge, have a look and will find more latter (as brigde/tunnel moths are a good place to start with plasticard :)

Hi....

Brilliant information...Thank you.....

Regards always....

Bob

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

28 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

Hi Bob,

While RMWeb was down I came across this video where the modeller creates a slightly different form of bridge but the techniques may still be informative.

Great find, 

Luke Towan is a modelling genius! His videos are very well presented. I'm sure all of us can take something away from them. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

ok just read back (your not a novice :) ) like the sweeping trackwork etc.. and i see embosed plastikard would be way to go as it would match more of the existing structures you have aka kits etc) and on that i see you built a simple will's kit shed, which is much the same as working in plastikard, only thing diferent is you need to make the desgin and make the bits of the kit :) 

I can also see you moked up where bridge is going (about half way between both ends, if i am right )  i could photo step by step when i make next building, but i am sure we can hlep with working out a simpleish brigde. and building your own structures is fun and very satifying as you get what you want, not what the kit will make :) 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hi All.....

Here are few images of the 'lash up' of where I am intending to position the 'Lllangeitho Road' bridge......working through options..... 

104_1352.JPG.c5b64119c9e81020249e2e597843f1dd.JPG

104_1351.JPG.43280108614516c4af018fb10b21605a.JPG 

104_1350.JPG.f5dbed26e4431063688de50afc9e1312.JPG

(Further images to follow)......

• Like 3

21 hours ago, BobM said:

'Any road up'...back to modelling.....has anyone any pointers to information (either on here or off site) on construction a girder road bridge....looking for basic construction techniques at this stage......using this Skytrek facade product....the sited on a double track curve

4-060-bridge-facade-set.jpg.f2b2648477f29cc134e9c2f3699a0c45.jpg

Regards always....

Bob

Hello Bob

As Calvin said above the best way is to draw it out then make a mock up from cardboard, cereal boxes etc. Plastikard is quite easy and forgiving to work with. The bridge being on a curved line might make it slightly more complex, but as it's a girder bridge you haven't got a curved roof to worry about. I presume the inside would be brick lined, it should be easy to match some embossed plastikard to the skytrek front.

Charlie

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

9 minutes ago, Charlie586 said:

Hello Bob

As Calvin said above the best way is to draw it out then make a mock up from cardboard, cereal boxes etc. Plastikard is quite easy and forgiving to work with. The bridge being on a curved line might make it slightly more complex, but as it's a girder bridge you haven't got a curved roof to worry about. I presume the inside would be brick lined, it should be easy to match some embossed plastikard to the skytrek front.

Charlie

Hi......Thanks for the kind posting.....I am at the moment minded to use the Skytrek facades for ease of build and my current skill levels...in the image I have stood two Skytrx brick retaining wall sections into position to form the inside wall.....just a thought,,,....

Kind regards always....

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, calvin Streeting said:

ok just read back (your not a novice :) ) like the sweeping trackwork etc.. and i see embosed plastikard would be way to go as it would match more of the existing structures you have aka kits etc) and on that i see you built a simple will's kit shed, which is much the same as working in plastikard, only thing diferent is you need to make the desgin and make the bits of the kit :) 

I can also see you moked up where bridge is going (about half way between both ends, if i am right )  i could photo step by step when i make next building, but i am sure we can hlep with working out a simpleish brigde. and building your own structures is fun and very satifying as you get what you want, not what the kit will make :) 

Hi....Thank you for the kind encouragement, I am on a steep learning curve here and building confidence / experience....I am so appreciative for all your support....

Regards always....

Bob

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, BobM said:

Hi....Thank you for the kind encouragement, I am on a steep learning curve here and building confidence / experience....I am so appreciative for all your support....

Regards always....

Bob

Hello

Sorry, didn't spot the retaining walls in the picture.

Charlie

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 minute ago, Charlie586 said:

Hello

Sorry, didn't spot the retaining walls in the picture.

Charlie

Hi....

(It was very difficult to spot on the image...I should have mentioned their use).........I wondered whether these would be okay...as they seem a reasonable possibility to form the central section,,,,,,  the clearance height seems okay too.....may lash up something with these and see where I go...?

Cheers 

Bob

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, calvin Streeting said:

can you pop a full photo of one, with a ruler to side so i can see what they look like etc.. ( and stone pattern etc) :)

Certainly will post an image of the Skytrek (brick) panels.....will do this later this evening ,,,my tea is just about done and my stomach's rumbling too!

:lol:

Regards

Bob

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

Hi...

Hope the previous images help.....panel sizes yet to be determined,,,,will be cut to suit size available....

Regards always....

Bob

Edited by BobM

7 minutes ago, calvin Streeting said:

oooh thats nice :) i take it you have enough for both sides ? and thus its more about the supporting back structure and road bed and underside detail ? 

Hi.....

Yep I've enough to complete both sides, plus a bit more as I did previously purchase Skytrek retaining walls and piers / caps (which are the same as here)  ....,,,thought of using the walls for the central section to)....so  should be able to make up a decent length of bridge.... and perhaps a small retaining wall with grass etc on the one side,,,,,if you catch my drift...?

Any information on the construction of the road section / underneath...ie girder look ....would be good

Regards always.....

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 1

Using the video info you provided...thought of giving the impression (with a gap) that the road was on shock absorbers even though it is a road bridge....?

Bob

yep i get what you meen. so two largeish wooden blocks, with a thin 3mm ply road bed going over top. (it might be good to put a small inlcine on boad edge so the bridge is the apex of the hill as it hits back wall, makes backdrops easyer and adds alittle extra 3d look few roads are level.

then this should make gluing sides on etc, and sturdy. the ply road bed would probably be level with top of steel girder, and then we need to look at pad stones, and expansion plates etc and how the underside, and ends would look etc.  most are beam and blocks or brick infill which can be made with strips of styrene etc. 

a good point of ref on the subject of underside is https://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=16973&start=150 

any help ? :)

100_0242.jpg

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Cheers my friend.....

Great inspiration here......there are a number of bridges close (500 yds) by at home on the old Wombourne / Oxley Branch...now a delightful walk...will go on my next day off and take some images for reference....

Regards always.....

Bob

• Like 1

Set me off thinking...dangerous thing....

Roadway.....length of wood.....the underside of which has wooden strips at appropriate distance to represent the cross girders / beams....?

Bob

Edited by BobM