'Cambrian Street'

BobM

Evening Guys.....Hope all are okay.....?

Continuing to develop the goods yard......primarily lifting further the lighter tones in the ash surface.......a few images here and following postings of work done tonight......have placed a water tower for reference and also initially  added 'sleeper grime' to the 4' of the acceptance road into the goods yard.....

• A view of the overall goods yard as it is developing at the moment.....

104_1416.JPG.c5f34467a7639e23e6c6d6ad09acc52f.JPG

• A view of the water tower and lighter ash surface.............

104_1394.JPG.581aa5664d6c9428b612991e1909eeaf.JPG

• A lighter ash surface too around the shed.......

104_1400.JPG.3ddc91ce92d9a07951348b2db17bc941.JPG

A few further images to follow.....

• Like 4

Evening All.....!

As part of beginning the process of building the 'Llangeitho Road' bridge.....and initially making a cardboard structure to tweak the requirements beforehand....here are my 'ramblings' which I offer up for comment......

I am working on the minimum clearances here........

wp17b0f37b_05_06.jpg.d1711a0c929f4643dad5fa3408a1c5ac.jpg 

Working on a minimum height clearance here shown of 60mm from the rail to underside of the bridge / girder, the clearance that the precast Skytrek offers and I am intending to use comes out at 90mm from the surface of the cork, so well within acceptable limits.......

4-060-bridge-facade-seta.jpg.4df8b1e2b7696306064baf2dd7672bec.jpg

104_1417.JPG.4babb8b3abcbaff395c34202ed2ef7b6.JPG

It is a strange coincidence that Bachmann Wagon boxes are 90mm high, the same dimension as the height of retaining wall / buttress. so I intend to use a number of these fashioned together to form the initial structure of the roadway.....?

Regards always.....

Bob

Edited by BobM
spelling
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Bob,

What you want is the "minimum structure" drawing for the railway company who built your bridge. Google throws up quite a few but none of them are directly relevant unfortunately.

A few GWR minimum structure and loading gauge drawings are reproduced in "GWR Goods Train Working, Volume 2" and I might have risked sending you an image but I'm not sure I could capture the details usefully!

The exact curves above the rails are specified in detail but the height above the centre of the rails is given as 14ft 3in (dated 1893) and 14ft 6in I think (dated 1908). That's 57mm and 58mm - so as near as dammit what your drawing says.

• Friendly/supportive 1

Hi.....

The very basic of 'lash ups' but gives an idea of what I am waffling on about....!

The clearance is ample....19mm roughly (too much...?) would require cutting the top of the columns to reduce, quite possible....however I could live with the gap here....

104_1425.JPG.875f5b7caa87d460dcfd557be9bd8a9e.JPG 104_1432.JPG.f4197d781453388024d7045039705f03.JPG

Regards always.....

Bob

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

HI Bob,

In my opinion, yes, too much clearance because the railway companies always tried to minimise costs (obviously). So they would build embankments to bridge lines with the minimum allowed clearance to save materials, time and wages.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 hours ago, Harlequin said:

HI Bob,

In my opinion, yes, too much clearance because the railway companies always tried to minimise costs (obviously). So they would build embankments to bridge lines with the minimum allowed clearance to save materials, time and wages.

Hi.....

It does look 'high'....I am going to rebuild the cardboard template so that the clearance over the rail measures 60mm (65mm from baseboard should be adequate)...?

Will post an image when done,

Regards always.....

Bob

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hi Everyone....

Just as an aside, I have been and measured the clearance from rail eight to the existing cardboard template and this measures 75mm....I did also measure 60mm from the rail to above 2207 loco and to me, the clearance above the chimney seemed minimal, much too short a clearance...?

Will  make up the bridge template as is and seem how it looks....?

Regards always.....

Bob

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BobM said:

Hi Everyone....

Just as an aside, I have been and measured the clearance from rail eight to the existing cardboard template and this measures 75mm....I did also measure 60mm from the rail to above 2207 loco and to me, the clearance above the chimney seemed minimal, much too short a clearance...?

Will  make up the bridge template as is and seem how it looks....?

Regards always.....

Bob

Hi Everyone......

If I had been as observant as I should have been,,,in the product description it states that the bridge clearance is 76mm..!  My template made in cardboard is 75mm...(so not too bad a lash up then) even though 60mm is the minimum..to save straining my modeling skills and a tad 'over' I am minded to make up as built....as I can live with the extra clearance....

Regards always.....

Bob

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Hi All.....

Here is the cardboard facade of the intended Llangeitho Road bridge....width to be determined, but the 'front' is fashioned in card as per the parts available....

will more than likely go with this as supplied sizes.....

104_1452.JPG.6cb7f209b163ec71e90f4206e42442fb.JPG

Regards always.....

Bob

Edited by BobM
spelling - photo removed
  • Like 2

Hi.. I think that looks ok. And if you put false beams under there as well they will be visable on lower perspective photos. What's the landscape your thinking around it. Urban, rural .. ? I like to think about the landscape before the railway came. Aka lay of the land as the road could have been there first and thus hieght :) 

A image says a thousand words. And thought I would sketch what I ment ..  :)

Screenshot_20190208-005505_Autodesk SketchBook.jpg

Edited by calvin Streeting
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hi Calvin and Dan.....

Thank you both for the kind input and postings.....the ideas there are  very much along the lines that I had been intending......the area is very much urban, hence the blue brick rather than station appearance....

with a weekend off today from the nursery...today I had envisaged a trip into Brum, but with the weather a 'bit grim' today may have a day in the dry at home trimming the moulding casting lugs off the pieces for the bridge down to size......that is after I've had lunch in the village!

Regards always

Bob

• Like 1

11 hours ago, calvin Streeting said:

Hi.. I think that looks ok. And if you put false beams under there as well they will be visable on lower perspective photos. What's the landscape your thinking around it. Urban, rural .. ? I like to think about the landscape before the railway came. Aka lay of the land as the road could have been there first and thus hieght :) 

A image says a thousand words. And thought I would sketch what I ment ..  :)

Screenshot_20190208-005505_Autodesk SketchBook.jpg

Hi.....

Thinking ...that if the area beside the bridge is not (as may be the case) large enough to accommodate a building.....had thought some of the large 'advertising boards' seen at urban stations...  such as once existed  Wolverhampton Low Level....

4135760974_1749dbcfde_b.jpg.9156c6a955679f23ec79ba429800b50a.jpg

Regards always...

Bob

Edited by BobM
spelling
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, danstercivicman said:

Don’t blame you Bob personally I prefer heading away from Brum towards Bridgnorth or Bewdley :) 

Hi...

Yes that's my local area normally, only occasional trips to Brum to Ian Allen and to see how the tram extensions are progresssing, but too wet today to walk around for no other reason....spent most of yesterday chainsawing up logs for next winters stockpile for the SMO / Waiting Room fires....beautiful and spring-like at Arley....what an alteration today...!

Regards always....

Bob

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, calvin Streeting said:

bob that's a good atmospheric pic.. and i can see that working there well...  :)  

Hi....

Cheers Calvin....

It should also be within my modelling skill range too....! :)

Sun's attempting to break through now..so off for a walk up the village for lunch and will take a look at the road bridge over the local disused railway for inspiration on the way there, even though I've seen it thousands of times...!

Regards always....

Bob

• Like 1

Hi Guys.....

Well and truly stuffed after a triple sausage, two eggs and chips / coffee lunch in the village....good job I had a two and a half mile round trip walk to ease the calorific value of it....!

On the way took these images of the local road bridge that crosses the now very pleasant South Staffordshire Railway walk which once was the track bed of the Wombourne Branch line on the Oxley to Stourbridge GWR connection......

although a totally different design to the Llangeitho Road bridge I am contemplating to build...this may be useful for anyone looking for inspiration.....

104_1461.JPG.03c3e22d0c9a113a8e94ce183b333001.JPG104_1457.JPG.2eade2a8e1c31357f5a6ff7510f31966.JPG104_1456.JPG.93c13d56a9d242754d53881de610a205.JPG

In all the  53 years that I have walked either over or past this bridge I have never really taken or noticed the brick arches / girders beneath the roadway on its underside....a beautiful piece of engineering.....

Regards always.....

Bob

Edited by BobM
resized images
  • Like 2

WOW on that bridge...

1: love the pipe bodged to side :)

2: that brickwork under is easy to replicate (i saw someone do that with T beams and rolled plasticard for brickwork.. will try and find it on inet .. and if not draw a diagram

3: and can see the PAD stones supporting the steel work..

its like this one... but full width.. the brickwork is slatters plastikard which is easy to bend (aka bend over a coffe cup hold with elastic bands and pour hot water over it, (its a thermal plastic) so when cool retains curve, and the T beams help hold it in place 

Capture.JPG

Edited by calvin Streeting
  • Like 2

Hi....

Cheers for the wonderful inspiration....I was a bit hesitant at even contemplating replicating the underside in any manner, however I may think again and attempt something now...?

Also before I begin a bit of trimming.....taking into account the image of the County beneath the road bridge a Wolverhampton Low Level....

took note of the following.....

4135760974_1749dbcfde_b1.jpg.80e16176c58000e71ad24bc7dcbeb76a.jpg 

The minimal clearance between that double chimney and the girder in comparison to my 'lash up'....however having seen the image of the bridge here....I have a thought that if I adapt the pieces that I have available I can sort of replicate the bridge by adding another depth of brick above the girder.....which looks like ths.....

104_1466.JPG.9597680970d3fe041d0e3c3e06878147.JPG

It then lowers the clearance to the minimum 60mm above the rail......I could then place the bridge construction on pack material if necessary to increase the clearance to suit.......

Is my thinking sound...?

Regards....

Bob

• Like 4