'Cambrian Street'

BobM

That's a cracking looking tree, Bob !

Are you modelling a particular time of year ? I would think that would direct the next colour to add. Adding a sprinkling of light brown might suggest late summer or early autumn as it may give a look of leaves starting to turn, where as leaving it as it stands looks more spring like with its bright fresh growth.

At least, that's how my eyes see it. I take my hat off to you for having a go and producing something so good as a first attempt - I have never been brave enough to try it my self !

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Morning Guys.....

Hope all are well....?

Thank you for the kind responses to the tree 'propagation' process.

Hope to begin the resumption of forming up the station platforms soon,  the whole area including the town then being done as one project......

Have a good week, stay safe.....

Regards always....

Bob

Edited by BobM

Evening all......

Whiled away a few hours 'cutting slabs' once more and began by laying on the north end of the 'down platform'.....leaving a central area which will be formed of ash.....

IMG_0113.JPG.701a9e98c3c2f29eafc62b6dea8856e3.JPG IMG_0112.JPG.8f6bbe5e460f86ebf65c945b41e9af70.JPG IMG_0110.JPG.488df5e80c240b1f538ba17ad869b149.JPG

This may be a long job!

Will post as further progress is made.....

Regards always....stay safe and thank you for being great pals on here....

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 2

Evening.....

An hour has been spent continuing the work on the centre platform on Cambrian Street, with a slight alteration which didn't look quite right to me, and this was due to the fact that I hadn't initially intended to do what I did?

I have removed the slabs that had been laid at the very far end, and will revert to what had been the original intention to have this 'extension' as an ash covering, slabbing centred on the heavier foot traffic around the footbridge and further down the platform.  The intended ash area shown in grey.

IMG_0114.JPG.acda543acdb7a900f39fbe72453c41aa.JPG IMG_0114a.jpg.3ea497c155d28a0209fd3bdfc41d2378.jpg

Regards always,

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 3

Evening guys.....

Been slabbing this evening......I think this is acceptable.....?

Comments appreciated as always.....

IMG_0118.JPG.0c98b8b1711656f82619aa89d0625ecf.JPG IMG_0120.JPG.9f8463d9bafd2c8fda9579fb545b60c8.JPG IMG_0121.JPG.ee7d3d7903707bb7e464206cd49dd87a.JPG

Regards always......Stay safe my friends,

Bob

• Like 5

Hi....

As there's only so much 'slabbing' excitement one can take each evening, will pack it in for tonight, but further progress I hope has been made?

Take care guys, remain safe, have a peaceful Sunday.....

IMG_0130.JPG.167b4129f8320037e9aa5295d044a64e.JPG

Regards always,

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 4

Hi Guys....Hope all are well and safe...?

Will need to take a pause on 'slab laying' as have for the moment run out of said cut pieces, so will spend a while cutting further plastic card slabs and then post when the laying is underway once more, in the meantime this is how far we have got....the local platform too has seen some slabs laid.

IMG_0131.JPG.af8b77fbaf67d85513f6dcae9672dc92.JPG

Regards always....

Bob

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Looks good Bob. Just a thought but what are you going to face the platforms with and shouldn't the longitudinal slabs hang over the platform facing or are you having a edging stone in front of them that overhang the facing?

Regards Lez. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

12 hours ago, lezz01 said:

Looks good Bob. Just a thought but what are you going to face the platforms with and shouldn't the longitudinal slabs hang over the platform facing or are you having a edging stone in front of them that overhang the facing?

Regards Lez. 

Hi.....

Hope all's well with you and all....?

If I had taken more care to plan this layout thoroughly in the first instance rather than to my eternal shame, just 'blundering' into it then consideration of the important and finer design details would have dawned on me?

Frankly (from an authentic representation of anything which would be remotely possible), I feel the whole layout is a mess really, but building it is rewarding, so I plod on and as a result  in doing so, to have contact with all you fine guys on here is the greatest reward of all.

As far as the platforms are concerned , I'll have contented myself with forming an impression of a rounded 'kerbstone' effect edge to the platforms seen at older stations, rather than the traditional overhanging slab?

Such as here at Arley?

May scribe into the laid plastic to 'indicate' individual bricks?

post-20610-0-28409800-1499809139.jpg.76e36a7d2c67b34b6b0da3e26e1b25c5.jpg

The intention is to edge the facing with 'printed effect stone / brickwork'.

I will know for the future to be more disciplined with myself from the outset....!

Whilst the smaller platform is 'out'.....I will run something past you and all on here as an alternative to the current set up, which completely alters the look of the station, including the double footbridge,  I'm not saying that what I intend to post later this evening will happen at all, but it's a possibility which will 'slim' the station,  provide an extra siding / storage road where the said platform currently is sited, .....keeps me amused anyway!

Regards always, stay safe,

Bob

Edited by BobM

Hi Guys.....Hope your mid-week is going okay....?

With reference to the posting above, this is what I could do if the mood takes me and taking into account what you good guys think also....as I mentioned this is only an option and is not set in stone.

The reason I have had thoughts on this is only due to the fact that I have had a niggling thought in my head that the station was perhaps too big and an ill conceived design, another result of my lack of earlier planning....all my own fault.

I have the option here to reduce the size of the station itself  by removing the small platform,  down to three platforms instead of four, having a standard footbridge and using the area created where the platform sat by installing two points to access a small shed or additional loco stabling siding....?

I have made a conscious design which way to proceed, but won't say which way I prefer until I get your very valuable comments...

IMG_0134.JPG.9fbfdaaaaec46e685d64c9c20d3b64f0.JPG IMG_0133.JPG.de15308dbd867dd9725d37f30db82d70.JPG

Regards always.....

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Bob,

I rather like the big station, but if you feel it's too big then losing a platform makes sense, however with the loco stabling, would it be needed with the shed just round the corner? surely a loco in need of stabling would go there and get refuelled while it was waiting?

Gary

• Friendly/supportive 1

7 minutes ago, BlueLightning said:

Bob,

I rather like the big station, but if you feel it's too big then losing a platform makes sense, however with the loco stabling, would it be needed with the shed just round the corner? surely a loco in need of stabling would go there and get refuelled while it was waiting?

Gary

Thanks Gary,

Much appreciate your input.....really in a muddle at the moment....

Hope all's well with you?

Regards always

Bob

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Bob,

Things are as good as can be expected in this time, the kids school has been closed as there are so many cases there, and it looks like we shall be in Tier 3 once this lockdown ends, hopefully we can be back to some form of normality at some point next year though.

I have just brought myself a 3D printer to play with for doing a few bits, if I can learn how to do the CAD well enough I won't need to worry about running out of castings again!

I have also taken a break from modelling this week and given my workbench a bit of a spruce up, the top even got a fresh coat of paint this morning, it's looking very nice now.

Hope everything is OK your end?

Gary

• Friendly/supportive 1

38 minutes ago, BlueLightning said:

Hi Bob,

Things are as good as can be expected in this time, the kids school has been closed as there are so many cases there, and it looks like we shall be in Tier 3 once this lockdown ends, hopefully we can be back to some form of normality at some point next year though.

I have just brought myself a 3D printer to play with for doing a few bits, if I can learn how to do the CAD well enough I won't need to worry about running out of castings again!

I have also taken a break from modelling this week and given my workbench a bit of a spruce up, the top even got a fresh coat of paint this morning, it's looking very nice now.

Hope everything is OK your end?

Gary

Hi Gary.....

Thank you, yes personally okay as of now, nursery has been open as we are in the exempt retail listing, quieter trade wise, but fortunate not to be furloughed.....

Cases abound in the area, even though we are semi rural.....we have a number self isolating staff off due to close contacts being positive, one having been tested positive whilst on leave, so no contact at work,  unwell for a time  but thankfully back after recovering.

There is hope that spring may bring better times, once a successful and safe vaccination is available  across the world. Can feel one large group hug being organised once we are able.....

Exciting news about that 3D printer and the possibilities!

Thanks again....

Bob

Edited by BobM

• RMweb Gold

Bob,

Great to hear the nursery is open, nothing worse than being stuck at home constantly! The school has been closed for 2 weeks now, and I'm honestly missing going out and doing the school run, at least it got me out every day!

Yes we are semi-rural as well, I was hoping it would save us from a spike the size we now have, but I have been working from home since February so that keeps my personal contact down and so far we have all stayed healthy, which is a bonus.

One large group hug once this is over sounds like a great idea!!

Gary

• Friendly/supportive 1

Evening.........

This is how I hope to provide the indication of the front edge of the platform 'kerbstone'  with a thin strip of plastic card ...?

IMG_0136.JPG.fc7571fe6c87ca52714d7495e5e41db8.JPG

Regards always,

Bob

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Why not have the small platform as a parcels only platform Bob. That way it still maintains its large station feel and you can downgrade the footbridge with a clear conscience. I too like the big station look.

Regards Lez.  

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 minutes ago, lezz01 said:

Why not have the small platform as a parcels only platform Bob. That way it still maintains its large station feel and you can downgrade the footbridge with a clear conscience. I too like the big station look.

Regards Lez.  

Hi......

Cheers Lez....I do have these 'wobbles' from time to time, I even had a stage which I am sure you'll recall when I could have take a hatchet to the whole thing!  I am minded to keep at it, as planned, be interesting to investigate use as a parcels facility......with a style of different footbridge too,....?

Will keep updated for sure.....

Regards always......

Bob

• Like 2

Hi Guys, Hope all's well....?

I start with an apology.....to say sorry for my 'wobble' yesterday over the intentions for the smaller platform, I won't be making any major alterations, certainly will investigate the ways to make it into a parcels or mixed purpose platform.....have to a think about the footbridge too.

Regards always...stay safe, here in South Staffs we've been moved up a tier, into T3, so plenty of time to devote to the layout ahead in the coming weeks outside work commitments.

Regards always,

Bob

• Friendly/supportive 2

Hi....

Rather than the somewhat 'chunky' footbridge, I have considered this more open kit from York models....could be a nice alternative?

00-footbridge-03.jpg.c5066671f8cf6ef7b5362cfc8b495744.jpg

Regards always....

Bob

• Like 3