'Cambrian Street'

BobM

As it remains rather 'frigid' and snow covered outside, have spent this afternoon completing the remaining 'flat roof' on the parcels / small goods building......

ab.jpg.9e5dff7709746361187597435aed45b4.jpg a.jpg.48a32c60a6bc2b5aa63ba44d99867772.jpg

Regards always guys 

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 6

Happy New  Years  Day All......

Hope the day has gone well,  even though the nursery has been open today (allowed under the governments Covid secure regulations), the weather, Tier 4 and continued wintry weather has made for a very quiet day.....

On returning home,  made a start 'covering' the flat roof of the parcels and small goods buildings, firstly with a skimming of filler, to be when dry painted with a base colour.....

IMG_0001.JPG.81a5ac536618564cc9a2998f47d3ebf5.JPG IMG_0002.JPG.b6e4c56aa8a1feca88472ea985770986.JPG

Regards always, stay safe.....

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 3

Afternoon guys....Hope all are well....

The parcels roof has been given an overall black coating to provide the base colour, hoping to weather the top with suitable colour grey green / moss covered mix....early flat roofs were notoriously fickle beasts to maintain with leaks frequent, presumably being constructed from layers of felt and tar over a wooden base, which I've tried to represent with the coffee stirrers, and still show through the thin skim of filler.

Were rooves originally topped off with a covering of chippings, the effect of which, could be represented with a sprinkling of sand, which also will be weathered in?

Regards  always...

Bob

Edited by BobM

Evening my friends, hope all are safe.....?

Just an update on 'my flat roof'.....

After the coffee stirrers which represented the wooden planking had been allowed to set into position, they were given an overall thin wash of dilute pva, when this too was dry a skim of balsa wood filler, this given a couple of days to set......

Firstly an overall matt black covering was applied, followed by when dry a scattering of 'oven baked' silver sand fixed by pva.

This evening a liberal painting of Revell matt 77 (dusty grey) has been applied, this drying hopefully in a rather 'patchy' manner which will later have further green weathering and mossy effect applied.

I am planning to action your suggestion Lez of placing a 'working party' on one part of the building (probably one of the corners) with ladders and guys on the roof, fixing a leak!

IMG_0003.JPG.1b7002c3aae8056866674f2b00243b61.JPG

Regards always....

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 5

Afternoon all......

If it is as foggy with your good selves as it is here, then you'll appreciate just how cold it remains, reading at -2C at the moment according to my weather station, although also how lovely it looks  with everything coated in white rime frost....

The developing 'flat roof' has been given a light dry brush of lighter grey prior to a final dry brush of light brown.....intend to indicate moss and hopefully standing water as a further tweak......the surface of the adjacent platforms have been given a light covering of Artex  for the intended concrete effect....?

IMG_0007.JPG.e42437af0a9fa3270efce04fec5fdc46.JPG

Regards always

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 2

Evening Guys.....

It's snowing....!

An initial wash over with Tamiya Deck Tan has been applied to the now dry artex 'concrete surface'....the intention to score lightly the 'shuttering' areas before weathering and additional surface colours.....

IMG_0009.JPG.268f47348799f85f3b8432f5c359d136.JPG IMG_0010.JPG.3d5d869592dfaf5bc17e0d08bc19f272.JPG

Regards always.....

Bob

• Like 4

Evening Guys......

Hope all are well?

Attempting to get some surface debris and grunge added to the flat roof, don't want to overwork this......but feel it is not quite there?

In this light looks reasonable, in the rather more subdued (poor) illumination of the railway room the effect is rather drab,,,,will wait to see what it looks like in daylight.....comments appreciated as always.....

IMG_0038.JPG.7e8c0145716eb0d1f0f2ec60be94a1d3.JPG IMG_0037.JPG.e90a0fedd7bcfedace3c95f0f2d5f76f.JPG

Regards always

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

55 minutes ago, BobM said:

Evening Guys......

Hope all are well?

Attempting to get some surface debris and grunge added to the flat roof, don't want to overwork this......but feel it is not quite there?

In this light looks reasonable, in the rather more subdued (poor) illumination of the railway room the effect is rather drab,,,,will wait to see what it looks like in daylight.....comments appreciated as always.....

IMG_0038.JPG.7e8c0145716eb0d1f0f2ec60be94a1d3.JPG IMG_0037.JPG.e90a0fedd7bcfedace3c95f0f2d5f76f.JPG

Regards always

Bob

Wondering if a darker tone just stippled may bind it together,or perhaps darker weathering powder ?

Regards always

Bob

Edited by BobM

Morning all.....

I am by the look of it this morning going to have to 'revisit' the roof, as it has somehow dried very much darker, the green 'moss' almost disappeared...?

Will let you know how this goes...

Regards always, have a (safe) one....

Bob

• Friendly/supportive 1

Evening guys......

Hope all are well.......?

Whilst my 'spud' has been in the oven have weathered up the flat roof, I will halt now as I think it'enough.....?

Dry brushed over the whole lot with Deck Tan and then rubbed in 'good old Arley loco ash dust' then lightly brushed off.....

hope the desired effect has been achieved....?

IMG_0047.JPG.a57dac2497833e5d90ad554e80c87685.JPG  IMG_0045.JPG.f47eaab9046766822033c346f02532d2.JPG

IMG_0044.JPG.45d228b5f4a8764a7741bcc626ac158e.JPG IMG_0043.JPG.644e522f6f12769d35570a9d3074caa6.JPG

The intention next is to paint up the walls of the building in blue brick, a pot of Precision Paints I already have available, would it be better to rub in the lighter mortar colour and then dry brush over, or the other way around.....paint the walls first then brush in and wipe off the mortar....?

Regards always...

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 4