'Cambrian Street'

BobM

56 minutes ago, lezz01 said:

As I said Bob I haven't used glue from a tube since the seventies. Solvent is SO much better. 

Regards Lez.

What's even more worrying is I quite like the smell of it too!

:D

Hi....

Here's the 'state of play' this evening after the support columns have been inserted....

IMG_0193.JPG.48ccd53cb4547ce949b50fab8e49638a.JPG IMG_0191.JPG.f1ea2522c48ba051d59b298403c22b5b.JPG

As mentioned earlier between the two outer and middle spans, the intention is to create bays, where I can install benches, scales and piles of suitcase and parcels.....a previous attempt to build this proved that it's overall height was slightly too much so in my 'innocence' cropped off the unwanted from the  base of the column, I am minded this time if you think it wise, to drill a locating hole in the platform to the required depth in to which the columns can be dropped and secured?

Regards always

Bob

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Nice Bob. However I'm a little distracted playing spot the Dalek. 

Regards Lez.

Oh yes a word of caution. I don't know if you're a smoker or not mate but if you are DO NOT smoke with the lid off the MEK bottle. Yes it's flammable but that isn't the issue, if it gets into a cigarette filter the combination of it in the filter and being drawn through the burning tobacco turns it into something very very nasty.  

• Friendly/supportive 1

Hi....

Thanks Lez....

I do like my Dalek's!

Never had a cigarette in my life, but thanks for the heads up, it does smell very flammable indeed, not that I have been 'whiffing' it you understand...

Regards always

Bob

After my friends....

Just throw this together to see what it may look like in theory.

Using spare plastic bed cards from the nursery have constructed a test bay between the columns, this card is much too thin, I am minded (unless there's a better suggested alternative) to form up the layout items from balsa wood, however the only material I have to hand at the moment does come up a little over scale at 1 foot thick...

....but will make one up to see how it looks, however lockdown movement restrictions and none essential shop closures will have to be lifted to allow a walk down to the model shop to obtain thinner material.

IMG_0197.JPG.081fef5b4cee39b89f1d457fdbdf34d9.JPG

Regards always

Bob

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, BobM said:

After my friends....

Using spare plastic bed cards from the nursery have constructed a test bay between the columns, this card is much too thin, I am minded (unless there's a better suggested alternative) to form up the layout items from balsa wood, however the only material I have to hand at the moment does come up a little over scale at 1 foot thick...

....but will make one up to see how it looks, however lockdown movement restrictions and none essential shop closures will have to be lifted to allow a walk down to the model shop to obtain thinner material.

Regards always

Bob

Hi  Guys.....

Just scale measured the thickness of this plastic card and it equates to 3" thick wood,  this seem more reasonable than I first thought?

Bob

Edited by BobM

1 hour ago, BobM said:

After my friends....

Regards always

Bob

Noticed too in my haste that the columns are on the outside of the bay when they should be inside, silly me!

Regards always

Bob

15 minutes ago, lezz01 said:

I didn't think it looked too bad Bob.

Regards Lez.

Thanks Lez, 

Experimenting with one or two alternatives to plasticard to see if there's an easier way for me,  trying wooden coffee stirrers at present to form the bay walls....

Regards always

Bob

Hi....

As it stands at the moment, I think it'll be pasticard option that'll form the walls of the bays, will take this slowly.

Regards always

Bob

Edited by BobM

Afternoon all,  hope everyone is okay on this wintry Saturday...?

Just a small update on the intentions and a question on a suitable glue...?

Before continuing to paint up the internal framework of the canopy in GWR dark stone, I have an intention to replace the supplied Dapol valancing with perhaps something which looks more authentic? This is supplied by Lcut and is laser cut fibre I believe, would it be okay to use superglue to secure this to the plastic framework, as neither pva or MEK would be suitable?

Also it is the intention not to use the the glazing panels  supplied, as I found on the test piece to be both extremely flimsy and fiddly to build, but that may be down to my bad technique, therefore the plan is to have a flat corrugated roof....?

The overall intention shown on the right.....?

IMG_0209.JPG.7e2fdf17a5d21e3ae907a915cdef467d.JPG  IMG_0209a.jpg.c8ec602757f05d75449ee57746d6b2fc.jpg

Regards always....

Bob

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, BlueLightning said:

Hi Bob,

I would use superglue for joining laser cut MDF to plastic.

Gary

Thanks Gary...Much appreciated...taking this steadily as I am in 'uncharted waters'...

Regards always

Bob

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BobM said:

Afternoon all,  hope everyone is okay on this wintry Saturday...?

Just a small update on the intentions and a question on a suitable glue...?

Before continuing to paint up the internal framework of the canopy in GWR dark stone, I have an intention to replace the supplied Dapol valancing with perhaps something which looks more authentic? This is supplied by Lcut and is laser cut fibre I believe, would it be okay to use superglue to secure this to the plastic framework, as neither pva or MEK would be suitable?

Also it is the intention not to use the the glazing panels  supplied, as I found on the test piece to be both extremely flimsy and fiddly to build, but that may be down to my bad technique, therefore the plan is to have a flat corrugated roof....?

The overall intention shown on the right.....?

IMG_0209.JPG.7e2fdf17a5d21e3ae907a915cdef467d.JPG  IMG_0209a.jpg.c8ec602757f05d75449ee57746d6b2fc.jpg

Regards always....

Bob

If I was feeling a little more confident I could look into partially glazing perhaps?

Bob

IMG_0209aa.jpg.13d62886708c87bd74de186841364ee7.jpg

Edited by BobM
  • Like 2

Evening!

All  well?

Both internal sides of the canopy ends have been given a coat of light stone, this will be allowed to dry overnight prior to the dark stone being applied to the metalwork. 

This light stone will be hardy noticeable, this especially  so if the plan to have a full corrugated roof canopy goes ahead?

However, either way it will have been done.

IMG_0212.JPG.884736fc8f53dce9cee55352c478a27c.JPG IMG_0211.JPG.e9965c50c53f2664cb8cb2b99d28464b.JPG

Regards a;ways

Bob

• Like 5

Evening (afternoon) all,

It has taken my nearly three hours to paint one half of the 'metalwork' of the canopy in dark stone, whether this is me just being slow, taking greater care or ensuring that the many sides to the pieces involved I don't know, but it has kept me amused on this chilly Sunday afternoon!

IMG_0218.JPG.85fd5e51bcb3dbb522cc98da0c16f6de.JPG IMG_0215.JPG.78e2c3270151a39c99f217d69bc22862.JPG

Will post further when the remainder is painted.....I have left unpainted areas where I believe solvent will be applied to join any roof panels at a later stage?

Regards always

Bob

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, 380John said:

Looking great Bob, 

Just catching up at the moment as I've been away dodging 7 metre swells in the Irish Sea! 

That canopy is going together nicely. That splash of colour has really brought it to life. 

Cheers, 

John 

Hi John....

Thanks for the message, taking it slowly and with care....hope you had a good bit of tonnage underneath you to combat that swell, I have sometimes found that a swell is worse than when conditions are really rough...!

Regards always

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I may be too late with this depending how much progress you’ve made since yesterday.

I think it would be a shame to hide the detail in the beams and cross beams under a solid canopy. If there is any way you could glaze the roof I think you’d enjoy seeing the details below.

Are you planning to have alternating colours on the valance like in your photo of Bewdley?

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, GWR57xx said:

I may be too late with this depending how much progress you’ve made since yesterday.

I think it would be a shame to hide the detail in the beams and cross beams under a solid canopy. If there is any way you could glaze the roof I think you’d enjoy seeing the details below.

Are you planning to have alternating colours on the valance like in your photo of Bewdley?

Hi....No it's not too late, and thank you for the posting, I too have thought that it's all going to be hidden if I totally corrugated the roof, maybe part glazed could be the answer, but yet to convince myself this is best?

The results of my first attempt to build a test piece were so terrible, that I didn't like the way the glazing bars looked, but that may be due to the fact that I rushed it?

Hadn't considered alternate valancining colours....would add interest.

Cheers

Bob

Edited by BobM

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, BobM said:

Hadn't considered alternate valancining colours....would add interest.

Cheers

Bob

Hi Bob,

That part of my suggestion was a bit tongue in cheek!

It does look good, but it would be hard to do well on a model.

But I definitely thing a part-glazed roof would be worth it.