'Cambrian Street'

BobM

Evening Guys.......Hope all are safe and well....?

It took a while to cut up the  required 'glazing bars' yesterday, but have glued these in place along the top of the canopy this evening along with the the top extra 'decorations' to the ends......

Intend to paint up the interior initially, however I am unsure at the moment whether or how to 'finish' off this unseen area, would like to perhaps insert cut corrugated pieces to tidy the interior appearance, the 'glazing' too has got to be fixed into place as well.

I am so appreciative of your advice and guidance Lez to use MEK solvent instead of tube cement, it is indeed so much 'user friendly' and forgiving....!

IMG_0027.JPG.b039251afc18eb06bb3e147555d6ba4e.JPG     IMG_0028.JPG.8e2dea16ab44616ab88202e0ae6fcede.JPG

IMG_0030.JPG.da63e886aa7e2ad118f6facf5577e358.JPG

Regards always.....

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 7

Hi.....

I am unsure too, whether it is within my capabilities to replace the columns, as I have always been uneasy regarding their rather 'spindly' nature......?

I am looking into alternative designs and how to adapt the existing kit supplied and constructed pieces.

Do you think I should leave well alone....?

Regards always,

Bob

Hi Bob, 

Personally yes I'd leave it. Based on 1) the more you tinker you may well destroy what you have done. And 2) due to the risk of part 1 - you've made a very good model that has taken time and effort and has been a labour of love. If you were to damage it I think you'd be gutted you hadn't left it alone. 3) if you consider how much it'll be moved the fact the legs are a tad flimsy probably won't make a difference once they're anchored to the platform. 

Of course if you find a solution, it is only modelling at the end of the day and experimenting and learning is part of the hobby and if damage is done it can be "made again" if need be. But it's all down to how much of a risk you feel you can take with your own abilities and resources. 

I think you've made a fine job of it and once completed I'd leave it that way. But again that's just my personal choice. 

Good luck with it, 

John 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Once you fix it in place it will be less vulnerable Bob. If you feel you absolutely have to then cut the columns where they get thicker at the bottom then slide a bit of plastic tube over the thin bit and then a further bit of thicker tube over that at the bottom and flood the whole thing with MEK and let it set over a couple of days. OR do the same but with brass tube.

Regards Lez.    

Edited by lezz01
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 01/02/2021 at 18:51, BobM said:

Or a better example here at my favourite station - Aberystwyth

I used to wander around under those canopies as an 8-year-old - my school was right next door to the station. Great fun watching the fly shunting in the goods yard from the end of Platform 5. In 1965, Aberystwyth still had a very substantial goods yard on the north side. For what was really a quite small town, the station was truly imposing.

Your work on constructing the canopy looks great.

Mike.

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 06/02/2021 at 19:05, BobM said:

Have had a tricky time placing the valancing on both sides of the canopy,

Curious the way the kit treats this, since in the original, there is serious steelwork along the edges joining up the ends of the roof trusses and the valencing is really decoration on top of this.

Yours, Mike.

• Friendly/supportive 1

Afternoon my dear pals....

Hope all are well....on a day when it is barely above freezing here and a stiff breeze.....both of these precluding any work in the garden today despite the sunshine....

So having had a think about my 'spindly leg' problem.....I have used the spare canopy ends from the Dapol kits to form up the walls of the passenger shelter bay sections beneath the roof, which will house benches and cases, these being glued to the columns has resulted in two beneficial outcomes, the thicker plastic of the canopy ends has 'strengthened' the rather thin Dapol columns and also i have been able to reduce the overall height of the structure, (which was overscale with the supplied pieces), the whole structure now sitting on the alcove walls. 

Have yet to form up the central internal walls of the bays...will let you know how this progresses...

IMG_0035.JPG.a66b2398688de2b3653d41903a6a2d93.JPG IMG_0034.JPG.66b20827e557ec7dc08fbbf7871d0cd2.JPG 

IMG_0033.JPG.22dbdc42cdae6e0f1ca575c8e7a8f653.JPG

Regards always....

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 4

Evening.....

The plan is to cut strips of plasticard which will be glued on to the shelters to produce a two toned wooden effect hopefully.....

IMG_0043a.jpg.bb39fc234d95eff3e200b94935fb85a6.jpg

Akin to Bewdley....?

Bewdley_canopy_3.jpeg.22d09e1a8cab5bbd668b97511cdec80b.jpeg  Bewdley_canopy_1.jpeg.a0b035ec6b15108b861b5d1090c4ea3f.jpeg

Regards always....

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 3

Hi Guys....

Have made some progress on completing the 'woodwork' on the passenger shelter bays, will fill the small gaps next to tidy their appearance.......

IMG_0049.JPG.d4457f7dc4e3183fcbf83c74226ee152.JPG

Take care, regards always.....

Bob

• Like 6

Evening.....

Have been around with the filler, to plug one or two gaps in the woodwork and along the roof line that have appeared as the canopy dried out...will next move on to the glazing, probably tomorrow afternoon depending on whether we 'thaw out' up here, as akin to most places we remained sub zero throughout today.....

I am quite pleased with the way this has developed, perhaps due to the fact I am taking it steadily and thinking  ahead, instead of muddling through?

IMG_0053.JPG.1e67490ec1c7c02bd626761348a8d6e9.JPG

Regards always....

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Hi Guys.......

Have painted up the glazing bars with dark stone, will move on to the glazing when dry.

4C9D8064-CD94-4D72-A6E5-306968162BB1.jpeg.464d87b7dcd2025b95eb97c262a47a83.jpeg

47E1BA6F-6C21-4B0B-BA0E-88AFDCA7E247.jpeg.3628b7a580e73b89793f9c1b525becff.jpeg

These photos taken off my mobile too, so hope they’re okay?

Regards always, Bob

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Very nice Bob. If I had any criticism to make at all it would be that the first joint of the top ridge isn't lined up properly but that's the only fault I can see. Other than that it's top notch mate.

Regards Lez.  

• Friendly/supportive 1

24 minutes ago, lezz01 said:

Very nice Bob. If I had any criticism to make at all it would be that the first joint of the top ridge isn't lined up properly but that's the only fault I can see. Other than that it's top notch mate.

Regards Lez.  

Hi, Yes, agreed, this is where the kits are joined, I did’t take as much care as I should have at the time, so it has a slight kink too and does irritate a bit, but will live with it and will know for next time. Take care, with thanks

Regards alway
Bob

• Friendly/supportive 2

14 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

Nice job well done there Bob, very nice indeed :good:

Cheers my friend, I am amazed at how this has come together!

Regards always

Bob

Evening Guys,

Hope all’s well?

Continuing with my mindset of taking things steadily, have spent at while painting light stone on to the internal sides of the corrugated roof, even though these are not visible at all. Will take the subsequent panels equally as slow and there will inevitably be some tidying required due to over painting.

Regards always

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 1

Evening.....

Spent  a few hours painting light stone  on to the exterior valancing, further internal panels   and the canopy ends....will update when dark stone has been applied to tidy existing panels and remaining unpainted metalwork.

IMG_0055.JPG.5096b106051844481a85c7e68de3e4ef.JPG IMG_0057.JPG.9a00231509e39d23c253fbc95680dc33.JPG

IMG_0058.JPG.9476596c2c64ae9e0608029970b2400f.JPG

Sorry about the kitchen clutter!

Regards always my friends, stay safe.....

Bob

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1