'Cambrian Street'

BobM

Hi

The canopy may be slightly too high perhaps (measured scale height at 12 feet) but hope it’ll be okay I can live with it anyway 

Happy Easter, stay safe

Regards always

Bob

Edited by BobM

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys.....

Hope all are well....?

Hope to be back modelling soon, have been preoccupied and coming to terms mentally with family matters.....need the distraction, thankfully have been able to get to the sanctuary of Arley.....

Regards always and stay safe....

Bob

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 6

Evening guys......

Hope all are well....?

With a weekend off and not being on the Arley roster took advantage of the glorious sunny weather (although with my 'horticultural hat' on - please can we have some rain) spent each morning in the garden followed by and afternoon tentatively returning  to working on the layout, by further painting of the parcels platform with hopefully an acceptable base concrete colour and a dry brush of a lighter grey to the base walls......will turn my attention next to the platform slabbing tones.....

IMG_0117.JPG.4124348d0a0d8e6d3979c4b314e7937b.JPG    IMG_0118.JPG.47b6738558f6992e4528f3e56e083973.JPG

IMG_0120.JPG.3672c6c6b2fe2ce4955408c93a22f4a9.JPG   IMG_0122.JPG.17ac216e234fb7a3acb3773b67c70e60.JPG   

Take care guys......

Regards always,

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Evening Guys......

Hope all are well?

Can I say a sincere and huge thank you to you wonderful guys for the kind messages I've received lately, they have been very much appreciated.

The base colour has been applied to the parcels platform 'paving' and 'edging'......will allow this to dry prior to adding further tones and weathering powders.

IMG_0014.JPG.5ed8207d24e67056f880a820ffa91fa3.JPG  IMG_0017.JPG.319feb365181e0d43122c1015953464d.JPG  IMG_0019.JPG.dc2e1ce6bb1332ca30cd5b0c7107303c.JPG 

IMG_0021.JPG.47079dfb3697ac0cb0843bf5c4fbdff7.JPG  IMG_0024.JPG.e38384898d011b8881df6c46bcce0aca.JPG

Regards always

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 7

Evening my friends.....

Weathering powders are in the process of being applied to the base colour of the paving.....will take this steadily.

Intend to apply weeds/ debris into the base of the wall too.

IMG_0050.JPG.1f6b48bc03c352bf7bc30f3095c0ce42.JPG  IMG_0051.JPG.aec4e1f2a787aa1e4c41a5c5b217cae3.JPG

Regards always.....

Bob

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 9

That looks great Bob. I always think... If you can look at a model and imagine how the 1:1 scale surface would feel to the touch then you've hit the nail on the head.... You've hit this one dead square! 

Excellent stuff. 

John 

• Friendly/supportive 1

13 minutes ago, 380John said:

That looks great Bob. I always think... If you can look at a model and imagine how the 1:1 scale surface would feel to the touch then you've hit the nail on the head.... You've hit this one dead square! 

Excellent stuff. 

John 

Thank you for your very kind comment John, much appreciated.

I am finding that if I do a little area at one time lightly, then take it back down then reapply, overlapping with an adjacent area in a 'patchwork' approach I can vary and build up the tones...?

Regards always

Bob

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Evening my friends....hope all are well.....?

Have begun to paint up the main platform 'slabs', applying the two intermediate tones and also the initial layer of sand and 'Arley ash' mix for the hardcore base, this prior to colouring.

The 'slabs' to be given an all over light tone, before the weathering powders as before.....

I will try to be a little more consistent in my modelling, when I can get my head around other concerns.....

IMG_0106.JPG.d31e713e9412181c992b8bd012cfd4cb.JPG   IMG_0107.JPG.43c98a96dabec2e0575cec67a7b41b54.JPG  IMG_0112.JPG.7dca086a8a0be9dadc86e012c9dff2ff.JPG

IMG_0113.JPG.9905e69ed30d03ed9a93899474232cc5.JPG                    IMG_0115.JPG.c9c8b9f2879d149f5ead54c34acb22ad.JPG

Take care guys please, stay safe too.

Regards always

Bob

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Nice Bob. Very nice!

The baccie shower is finished and installed mate. Of course the water quality has gone to pot but I expected it and have taken action, I'll retest tomorrow hopefully it'll be coming back to normal. It always goes out of whack when you mess with the filters.  I'll post some pics on my thread or PM them to you.

Regards Lez.

• Friendly/supportive 1

32 minutes ago, lezz01 said:

Nice Bob. Very nice!

The baccie shower is finished and installed mate. Of course the water quality has gone to pot but I expected it and have taken action, I'll retest tomorrow hopefully it'll be coming back to normal. It always goes out of whack when you mess with the filters.  I'll post some pics on my thread or PM them to you.

Regards Lez.

Be great to see some images of that new system, this cool weather cannot be helping either to get the bacteria in any filtration system to handle the waste matter that the fish are 'pooing' into the water, the growth rate must be 'sluggish' given the conditions?

Regards always

Bob

Edited by BobM

Evening Guys, Hope all are well on this Friday (soggy) evening....?

A covering of the lighter tone has been applied to  the paved surface of the main platform prior to the weathering powders.....

IMG_0120.JPG.757f75c43b16b750a57a2f80f1fe16a7.JPG

Regards always, stay safe

Bob

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Evening all.....

Better day today, only rained three times!

Although 'over-engineered', (if you can over engineer this type of thing), this evening have created a platform end ramp out of balsa wood off cuts, using a couple of spent Lcut ramp templates for the slop angle .

Hope this looks okay?

IMG_0128.JPG.101ce1ffee05fd729bd7aa06c523f05f.JPG        IMG_0132.JPG.2203d8f17fbd0d97e0153c82d64fb824.JPG

Scheduled to have my second 'Covid vaccine jab'  tomorrow at the BlackCountry Living Museum, just over 10 weeks since the first shot, museum was closed at that time,  thankfully reopened to visitors and just a centre for second doses now!

Take care guys, stay safe.....

Regards always

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 7

Afternoon my good friends, hope all are well..?

Have joined the ranks of the '2nd dose gang' , courtesy of the combined efforts of the fine folk of the NHS and staff of The Black Country Living Museum. No queues this time around, straight through after the check-in area, short sit down then within seconds all done and sitting in the car for the customary 15mins settle in period.....so well done to all involved in protecting the country from the ravages of this dreadful virus.

As my appointment was 1255 there was little leeway to go to Arley in the morning or due to the rain that set in later, for the afternoon so spent either side of the vaccine slot working on the layout, albeit in a small way?

The parcels platform end now has a an additional piece of low wall, with an arrangement of steps and spear top fencing to end  the adjacent paved area....

A foot crossing will give access across the running lines to, foot climb holes within the opposite platform........any good?

IMG_0133.JPG.77ea6102968c03e4e4e3a4af7d63870d.JPG IMG_0134.JPG.9a54e5f2efd32c42543b89978458cc99.JPG IMG_0137.JPG.8914ce4ea41fd7b687fcc295afcf7517.JPG

IMG_0138.JPG.80d16690de0a107e2d67ec8f4d4bb855.JPG

Regards always, stay safe.....

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Evening guys....

Require advice and pointers please.....

So that I can gain some experience for future stages on the layout, I would like to test my capabilities to install signals....?

So would like to place a signal into the area just short of the points on the parcels platform road.......

Wondering whether  the Dapol signal range would ideal to investigate as candidates and whether to go the whole hog and have them motorised....?

I made one of many mistakes in not installing motorised points so don't want to repeat my error, require advice on how making these operate via the bus wire I presume as a source of power?

Failing this, is wire operation better?

IMG_0138sg.jpg.deef6818b80d120b88a5112edc254497.jpg

Regards always

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 1

Morning Guys...All okay...?

I am wondering whether as I venture into signalling, rather than plunge headlong into it, I may well purchase in the first instance 'cheaper' hand operated signals such as the Hornby GWR range to get some atmosphere on the layout, this also providing an opportunity to get the correct positioning of each one in relation to the points?

Thereafter when confident I can move into installing motorised, or simply purchase Dapol and place in position for effect then wire up at a later date?

Regards

Bob

Edited by BobM

19 minutes ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

Hi Bob, I would go with the Dapol signals. 
I have the 7mm versions and I am pleased with them.

Cheers, Ade.

Hi Ade,

Hope all's well?

Would I be correct in believing that I can wire up the signal to my 'bus wire' that feeds the power to the track and also wire in a 'switch' to operate the arm?

Regards always,

Bob

• RMweb Gold

Hi Bob,

For what it's worth, if the Dapol signals are the correct type for what you need I would use them, unfortunately I have never used them before as they don't make what I need so I can't help with wiring.

Gary

• Friendly/supportive 1

Hi Ade and all

Intending to have a 12v wire feed from a separate transformer to the signals, rather than attaching the wires to the track bus wires?

Regards

Bob

Edited by BobM

Evening all....

Continuing on the signalling theme....

The positioning of the 'green' starter is raising a question in my head and there's plenty of 'empty space' for it too 'rattle' around within...?

I am presuming that this would be positioned here, allowing any train held in the platform to be  short enough of the points giving sufficient clearance for a departing train through the left hand turnout off the parcels?

Further more as the signal would I presume be mounted at platform level, this will require a shorter post (or perhaps a bracket signal) to be used so that signal arms a at the same height?

Do Dapol or other manufacture produce platform mounted signals...?

IMG_0124a.jpg.627b91234cfe79b8e09482215e96cffa.jpg

Regards always

Bob

Edited by BobM