'Cambrian Street'

BobM

Here is the signalling plan, since originally drawing up this requires some adjustments to actually layout development on the ground.

msg-32492-0-60186700-1533368776final.png.1aca2eeb0608162f2910a6913afd4e76.png

Regards always

Bob

Not an expert on signalling, but my gut instinct is that the starter would be at the end of the platform, possibly in the position of the red post in the bottom right of your photo and as one of a pair of short posts bracketed off a thicker single post.

• Friendly/supportive 1

2 minutes ago, BobM said:

Here is the signalling plan, since originally drawing up this requires some adjustments to actually layout development on the ground.

msg-32492-0-60186700-1533368776final.png.1aca2eeb0608162f2910a6913afd4e76.png

Regards always

Bob

You posted the diagram just as I finished my reply!

On your diagram, signal 66 is the starter for platform 3 and is on the same post as the starter for platform 2 (signal 65), located at the end of platform 2.

• Friendly/supportive 1

58 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

You posted the diagram just as I finished my reply!

On your diagram, signal 66 is the starter for platform 3 and is on the same post as the starter for platform 2 (signal 65), located at the end of platform 2.

Hi

Yes you are quite correct, I have got myself into a right muddle at the moment and on my plan have the starter for both platform roads on a bracket at the end of the platform.....which would make rather more sense than my earlier post.....presume a bracket signal on a shorter post wouldn't be available from an off the shelf  manufacturer...?

My 'bad head' today I'm blaming on yesterdays 'vaccine shot' ! :rolleyes:

This any better?

IMG_0125a.jpg.e68bd198f23bf3a968634fa8f45cd94d.jpg

Or even at the base of the ramp/ or removing the ramp...but no off the shelf product I believe is available?

the-platform-starter-signals-at-the-end-of-the-platform-at-bognor-DRA2BF.jpg.83f013ef7ae6fc94411deed42e6ec6c9.jpg

Help!!

Edited by BobM

That’s what and where I meant! You might be able to get away with it at the end of the ramp rather than on the platform, which would negate your need for a shorter post.

As for manufacturers; a quick look at the Dapol range shows they don’t have and equal bracket two doll signal, but I know Ratio used to do a kit that made up four different signals plus four ground signals. I have the LMS kit and if the GWR one is the same, it is possible to build a equal bracket two doll signal. From memory, they’re fiddly to construct, but I’d say they’re well within your skill level.

• Friendly/supportive 1

26 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

That’s what and where I meant! You might be able to get away with it at the end of the ramp rather than on the platform, which would negate your need for a shorter post.

As for manufacturers; a quick look at the Dapol range shows they don’t have and equal bracket two doll signal, but I know Ratio used to do a kit that made up four different signals plus four ground signals. I have the LMS kit and if the GWR one is the same, it is possible to build a equal bracket two doll signal. From memory, they’re fiddly to construct, but I’d say they’re well within your skill level.

Thank you my kind Sir, I'll have a good mooch around the web and find a solution, my preference is perhaps for something at the end of the ramp. A bracket would be best for sure, two individual posts an option but may look a bit like a radio relay station instead of a railway!

Cheers buddy

Bob

• Agree 1

Hi.

Just to say that I have obtained two of these kits and will attempt to scratch build a double arm centre post, bracket signal for the base of the ramp, will take it steadily and post accordingly the result, wish me luck!

s-l200.jpg.c94c874fe0073506816ab34d4bf283a0.jpg

Regards always

Bob

• Like 6

6 hours ago, BobM said:

Hi.

Just to say that I have obtained two of these kits and will attempt to scratch build a double arm centre post, bracket signal for the base of the ramp, will take it steadily and post accordingly the result, wish me luck!

s-l200.jpg.c94c874fe0073506816ab34d4bf283a0.jpg

Regards always

Bob

Just looking at that photo, I’d say you’ll need to shorten the left-hand doll to match the right-hand one, position the main post central to the decking,  shorten the diagonal braces to suit and trim the operating wires to length (which, from memory, you have to do anyway) - you had a harder job modifying your platform canopy!

• Friendly/supportive 1

46 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Just looking at that photo, I’d say you’ll need to shorten the left-hand doll to match the right-hand one, position the main post central to the decking,  shorten the diagonal braces to suit and trim the operating wires to length (which, from memory, you have to do anyway) - you had a harder job modifying your platform canopy!

Hi....

Cheers for the tips, I was in two minds whether to have two taller posts, but you are quite right  two shorter ones will look more in keeping, perhaps making the platform slightly wider too will enhance the look?

I'll have my work cut out not to make a mess of this, but will have a go, take it steadily and overall I am going to enjoy the challenge!

Regards

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 1

Hmm... I’d leave the signal platform width alone, just to avoid any potential clearance issues.

Your signalling diagram has a disc signal at the base of each doll. Are you going to include these as well?

27 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Hmm... I’d leave the signal platform width alone, just to avoid any potential clearance issues.

Your signalling diagram has a disc signal at the base of each doll. Are you going to include these as well?

Hi....

I have had second thoughts over  disc signals being included on my layout, so will not be a feature on the bracket.

I take onboard your comment on the platform width.

I have had a thought to cut a recess into the centreline of the ramp into which the signal  post can be placed, something like this perhaps?

IMG_0132a.jpg.776ccc99c542aa569998ea184195b152.jpg

Regards always

Bob

Edited by BobM

Check out how Chris ( @chuffinghell) mounted his Dapol signal in the platform ramp on his Warren Branch thread (starts halfway down page 76) - it’s a class piece of modelling! Although he used a Dapol signal, it should be do-able with a Ratio product; especially by a man of your talents!

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

46 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Check out how Chris ( @chuffinghell) mounted his Dapol signal in the platform ramp on his Warren Branch thread (starts halfway down page 76) - it’s a class piece of modelling! Although he used a Dapol signal, it should be do-able with a Ratio product; especially by a man of your talents!

Thank you my friend...will do.

Regards

Bob

Evening guys.....

Hope all are well....?

The 'adventure' is about to begin....!

As it was my birthday yesterday, I treated myself to a Dapol GWR signal to place into the parcels road, along with two Ratio kits which are destined to be 'butchered' in some fashion into a larger bracket signal to be sited at  the end of the main platform and a few push switches to control the Dapol. I have a dedicated transformer on order to follow and provide power to the parcels signal, the ratio one will be hand operated, if I don't make a complete hash of it in the construction phase.

I'll be taking this extremely slowly and cautiously as I have no experience of either tasks.

IMG_0139.JPG.30d9a1a3244107bb1d6d11a469c3c361.JPG

Regards always, stay safe and have a great weekend, if you're fortunate enough to have Monday as a holiday.

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 4

Evening.....

Although this is of southern extraction I hope that I may be able to fashion something similar in a GWR guise?

th_eridge-s-sig.jpg.c2a2c9c8c7b6a193cee87c695b164ab8.jpg

Regards always

Bob

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

11 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

Happy Birthday for yesterday :dancer:

Thank you.......

Spent it down at Arley among good colleagues, working in the sunshine, with steam as well, what more could one wish for,,,?

Regards always

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 2

Evening Guys.....

Hope all are well?

Thank you for you kind birthday wishes, very much appreciated.

A package of drill bits arrived today, (14mm flat head), for when it comes the time to drill through the baseboard for fitting of Dapol signals.....?

IMG_0143.JPG.ef6be7a4bdd6a244b8f4a0e1aaf2e406.JPG

I hope that I haven't set myself an impossible task, perhaps not thinking through the implications - attempting to make a centre post, double arm, bracket signal, but here goes.....

The intention is to have the platform centred on the post..........both arms of the same height......

Using two kits to scratch build the desired effect......

Firstly a new wider signal deck is required to accommodate the two arms.....

IMG_0142.JPG.e6f5da0d6478b48d0347e08ff6ed4e09.JPG IMG_0141a.jpg.01d68d19c9e57583d7f15521d907b7aa.jpg

Just putting these thoughts out as I consider the implications....?

The platform if centred on the post will be scaled at 12' wide......

To form extension - platform from second kit, requires trimming off as indicated, with existing holes filled, two new holes drilled to accept left signal arm...?

OR.......shall I just go ahead build the kit as an offset bracket with two arms of the same height, the issue I have would be the loss of ladder access to the 'lamps' on the right hand post?

Regards always

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 1

Evening Guys.....

With the heads up from Lez, have acquired the following lovely 2nd hand brass Scalesig items......

So some change of tack may be on the cards regarding the method of signalling if I am proficient enough....

IMG_0029.JPG.e4a4ada0b0b35bc67d324147d8c09122.JPG

Granted they are 'upper quadrant' and will require adaptation to 'lower' and GWR'ising, advice on which way to go I will certainly require, but a task I am willing to have a go at, using the MSE range from Wizzard....the posts will be most useful as a starting point....as I have no knowledge on this way of modelling I will be extremely grateful for any pointers.

Just for effect, this is what they look like just positioned with bluetak....

IMG_0030.JPG.bb1fa9333d7c39fc9380cef9fe6cc474.JPG IMG_0032.JPG.b250ab49b74d266bceb0eef3dfccc6a5.JPG IMG_0039.JPG.5431d978c20a4327829b1284348e273a.JPG

IMG_0040.JPG.f9cbb6a9ec9d1e1f1e8f4f0bcf3245f0.JPG IMG_0043.JPG.eaee056bf823f985dd837725def54eb5.JPG IMG_0044.JPG.c7e4bf139f483176325880aea90188ba.JPG

Regards always.....stay safe my friends....

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Nice Bob. The lamps will need to be on the outside of the post and you will need to fit GWR finials as well as arms. The MSE range has everything you need mate.

Regards Lez.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1