'Cambrian Street'

BobM

Hi

To 'dip my toe' into the white metal world of modelling, I have ordered this kit from Wizard Models.....I will need assistance, guidance and a good 'dollop' of luck...!

s4_kw1-324x964.jpg.d230ac68568e7264b503eeac25316146.jpg

Once I've had a go at constructing this kit and feel able I can move on to adapting the bracket signals perhaps....?

Regards

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Evening all....

When constructing the kit, is there a standard solder that can be used, scanning the instructions it mentions switching solders?

Regards always,

Bob

• RMweb Gold

Yes mate you need one for the brass bits and a low melt one for the WM bits. You tin the brass with your standard solder and the WM with 70 deg solder then you hold the two bits in place and run some flux along the joint and then run your iron along the joint with a little more 70 deg on it and that's the job done Bob.

Regards Lez. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

Evening Guys......

This arrived in the post today.......ordered a spare just in case I mess up along the way!

IMG_0045.JPG.1e59c758f15a55d696506dc4009af331.JPG IMG_0047.JPG.787a347767fbf45b9784c698685bc870.JPG

A bit daunted on first opening the package, that I will 'pass muster' when constructing this kit, but will do my best......have ordered a selection of 70c, 145c and 180c solder for the building process, in a short while I will obtain a new variable temperature iron, set of drill and files, so it'll be a while yet before construction begins.

Regards always...

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

145 solder can be a bit lumpy Bob. It doesn't seem to flow very well. What flux do you have. I would go with phosphoric acid as it's good for both brass and WM. Carrs green label is good but there are others. I buy mine from ebay by the Litre at 99% and dilute it down myself.

Regards Lez.  

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

12 hours ago, lezz01 said:

145 solder can be a bit lumpy Bob. It doesn't seem to flow very well. What flux do you have. I would go with phosphoric acid as it's good for both brass and WM. Carrs green label is good but there are others. I buy mine from ebay by the Litre at 99% and dilute it down myself.

Regards Lez.  

Hi Lez,

Is this the product?

Haven't purchased anything yet so want to obtain the correct medium.

63802_1502133594_green.jpg.03957d1a6ff0417bfe55402841bbccfb.jpg

Regards always

Bob

Edited by BobM

Hi

Not modelling related, but thought you may like to see these images of the gardens at Arley?

Been growing this  white wisteria as a standard for about 15 years now, with missing pruning during January, I thought that having to complete the task in late March on our return ti volunteering, we'd loose this years flowers as it was too late....?

Just shows nature knows better....!

IMG_1401.JPG.a9361508417140eae301836729c502a4.JPG IMG_1400.JPG.59a595103b77488dbab12a6b541283d1.JPG

Also a topiary loco has been attempted.....it has been in 'the works lately'  having a new smoke box door and buffer beam added as the original had rotted away...needs its first trim on Sunday!

IMG_1409.JPG.01d6cc1b052ff1b330a63fde571c4dde.JPG

Regards always,

:rolleyes:

Edited by BobM
  • Like 10

1 minute ago, 380John said:

Really nice Bob. I spent hours in the garden this week, planting, tidying, cutting.... Then ruined it Monday afternoon by hitting a stone whilst cutting the grass and sending it straight through the back window :angry:

Oh dear......

• Friendly/supportive 1

Hi Guys....

Hope all are keeping well and 'chipper'....?

Just to say that I am currently 'gathering together' the necessary 'proper' tools to have a tentative play with making the signal kits, when all here will begin to post my step by step attempt.

Stay safe my friends.....

Regards always

Bob

As an aside, this is how the wisteria looked on Sunday, just 'going over' now but has been glorious, the combined warmth and humidity powering out the fragrance!

IMG_0053.JPG.0f14538534dae9cd6004cdba39c2fc5f.JPG

Edited by BobM
  • Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi  Guys....

Hope all are well?

Sorry for the sound of  'static'....been a bit preoccupied with certain matters, but have gathered the 'necessaries' together on the 'soldering scene', so hope to begin the process of building the white metal signal kits soon, or more likely posting my mishaps,,,

Take care,

Regards always

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Evening guys, hope all are well?

This is the range of items that I’ve collected together to have a go a white metal kit assembly.

Haven’t a clue at the moment where to begin.          

72D5A555-BD77-4E4C-9867-199BBE80E98B.jpeg.e0b8dd76d0995f88694813e90489c70a.jpeg

09BE7F5A-4216-4678-9CD9-CDC41770FD49.jpeg.211d38a89a8dad412071da2e3380b945.jpeg

Regards always

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 4

• 2 months later...

Hi Guys

I am so sorry for the 'radio silence' on these pages lately, have been rather 'preoccupied' with other matters one way or another, hope that some kind of 'normal service' can resume shortly?

Regards always,

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• 3 months later...

Morning Guys.....

Hope all are well and 'rested'...?

As part of the process of getting 'back on track' and easing myself into modelling once more, I need a bit of guidance from you kind souls please if that's possible?

I am looking to begin work on my MPD or steam shed section first, to undertake the scenery side of modelling which is my greatest please pleasure in the hobby.

However I am somewhat 'daunted' by the prospect of constructing and installing a turntable, as if I am to cut a hole in the baseboard and drop in a pit type I have got to get it right first time?

So do any of you guys know of anywhere it is possible to obtain a ready made GWR style turntable (either pit or surface) that can be just dropped in, wired up and then ready to go?

Understand that such ' a beast' may be pricey but willing to look for the sake of my sanity?!

Something akin to this would be superb, Dapol I know do one as a kit is there anything off the shelf available?

1a10577585c4e6eaa06e507285252a65.jpg.f212734a3e299677e819dcf7f3498d3e.jpg

Will message prior to Christmas but in the meantime, please stay safe guys!

Regards always

Bob

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Hi Bob,

Glad to see you back!

As far as I know there are no ready made over-girder GWR style turntables available. I trawled the net a while ago.  There are/were kits but the suppliers are either no longer making them or are "unreliable" and not worth the hassle. (See the Greenwood area in Small Suppliers.)

However, the GWR often inherited other types of turntable when they absorbed other railways and if you can apply that argument to Cambrian Street then you can legitimately go for the Peco LK-55 and just use it as is. Peco also make a motorising kit for it.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, Harlequin said:

Hi Bob,

Glad to see you back!

As far as I know there are no ready made over-girder GWR style turntables available. I trawled the net a while ago.  There are/were kits but the suppliers are either no longer making them or are "unreliable" and not worth the hassle. (See the Greenwood area in Small Suppliers.)

However, the GWR often inherited other types of turntable when they absorbed other railways and if you can apply that argument to Cambrian Street then you can legitimately go for the Peco LK-55 and just use it as is. Peco also make a motorising kit for it.

Hi

I am getting there thank you, a bit of modelling will work wonders.

Tyseley Locomotive Works has a 'pit type' turntable - so that's a good enough 'GWR' shed example for me to use Peco.

1198424464_SRNewsletterNov3ClunCastle.jpg.23553a7741a8018b5acd2b8411c6fcd6.jpg

Regards

Bob

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Hi Bob,

Great to see you posting again, I hope you are well my friend? I second the recommendation for a Peco LK-55, just got one into my shop. (I part own a model shop now!), having not been able to get them from Peco for quite a while, it is a very nice kit and quite simple to setup, and as Phil says, Peco do a motorising kit as well.

Gary

• Like 2