'Cambrian Street'

BobM

Posted (edited)

Hi

To 'dip my toe' into the white metal world of modelling, I have ordered this kit from Wizard Models.....I will need assistance, guidance and a good 'dollop' of luck...!

s4_kw1-324x964.jpg.d230ac68568e7264b503eeac25316146.jpg

Once I've had a go at constructing this kit and feel able I can move on to adapting the bracket signals perhaps....?

Regards

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Sounds like a plan Bob. What sort of soldering iron have you got mate?

Regards Lez.

Hi...

Just a 'bog standard' AntexXS25 - so will upgrade to a variable temperature one soon.

Regards always

Bob

Evening all....

When constructing the kit, is there a standard solder that can be used, scanning the instructions it mentions switching solders?

Regards always,

Bob

• RMweb Gold

Yes mate you need one for the brass bits and a low melt one for the WM bits. You tin the brass with your standard solder and the WM with 70 deg solder then you hold the two bits in place and run some flux along the joint and then run your iron along the joint with a little more 70 deg on it and that's the job done Bob.

Regards Lez. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

Posted (edited)

Evening Guys......

This arrived in the post today.......ordered a spare just in case I mess up along the way!

IMG_0045.JPG.1e59c758f15a55d696506dc4009af331.JPG IMG_0047.JPG.787a347767fbf45b9784c698685bc870.JPG

A bit daunted on first opening the package, that I will 'pass muster' when constructing this kit, but will do my best......have ordered a selection of 70c, 145c and 180c solder for the building process, in a short while I will obtain a new variable temperature iron, set of drill and files, so it'll be a while yet before construction begins.

Regards always...

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

145 solder can be a bit lumpy Bob. It doesn't seem to flow very well. What flux do you have. I would go with phosphoric acid as it's good for both brass and WM. Carrs green label is good but there are others. I buy mine from ebay by the Litre at 99% and dilute it down myself.

Regards Lez.  

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, lezz01 said:

145 solder can be a bit lumpy Bob. It doesn't seem to flow very well. What flux do you have. I would go with phosphoric acid as it's good for both brass and WM. Carrs green label is good but there are others. I buy mine from ebay by the Litre at 99% and dilute it down myself.

Regards Lez.  

Hi Lez,

Is this the product?

Haven't purchased anything yet so want to obtain the correct medium.

63802_1502133594_green.jpg.03957d1a6ff0417bfe55402841bbccfb.jpg

Regards always

Bob

Edited by BobM

Posted (edited)

Hi

Not modelling related, but thought you may like to see these images of the gardens at Arley?

Been growing this  white wisteria as a standard for about 15 years now, with missing pruning during January, I thought that having to complete the task in late March on our return ti volunteering, we'd loose this years flowers as it was too late....?

Just shows nature knows better....!

IMG_1401.JPG.a9361508417140eae301836729c502a4.JPG IMG_1400.JPG.59a595103b77488dbab12a6b541283d1.JPG

Also a topiary loco has been attempted.....it has been in 'the works lately'  having a new smoke box door and buffer beam added as the original had rotted away...needs its first trim on Sunday!

IMG_1409.JPG.01d6cc1b052ff1b330a63fde571c4dde.JPG

Regards always,

:rolleyes:

Edited by BobM
  • Like 10

Really nice Bob. I spent hours in the garden this week, planting, tidying, cutting.... Then ruined it Monday afternoon by hitting a stone whilst cutting the grass and sending it straight through the back window :angry:

1 minute ago, 380John said:

Really nice Bob. I spent hours in the garden this week, planting, tidying, cutting.... Then ruined it Monday afternoon by hitting a stone whilst cutting the grass and sending it straight through the back window :angry:

Oh dear......

• Friendly/supportive 1

Posted (edited)

Hi Guys....

Hope all are keeping well and 'chipper'....?

Just to say that I am currently 'gathering together' the necessary 'proper' tools to have a tentative play with making the signal kits, when all here will begin to post my step by step attempt.

Stay safe my friends.....

Regards always

Bob

As an aside, this is how the wisteria looked on Sunday, just 'going over' now but has been glorious, the combined warmth and humidity powering out the fragrance!

IMG_0053.JPG.0f14538534dae9cd6004cdba39c2fc5f.JPG

Edited by BobM
  • Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Hi  Guys....

Hope all are well?

Sorry for the sound of  'static'....been a bit preoccupied with certain matters, but have gathered the 'necessaries' together on the 'soldering scene', so hope to begin the process of building the white metal signal kits soon, or more likely posting my mishaps,,,

Take care,

Regards always

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Posted (edited)

Evening guys, hope all are well?

This is the range of items that I’ve collected together to have a go a white metal kit assembly.

Haven’t a clue at the moment where to begin.          

72D5A555-BD77-4E4C-9867-199BBE80E98B.jpeg.e0b8dd76d0995f88694813e90489c70a.jpeg

09BE7F5A-4216-4678-9CD9-CDC41770FD49.jpeg.211d38a89a8dad412071da2e3380b945.jpeg

Regards always

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

That's OK Bob just post the instructions mate and we'll go from there.

Regards Lez.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 months later...

Hi Guys

I am so sorry for the 'radio silence' on these pages lately, have been rather 'preoccupied' with other matters one way or another, hope that some kind of 'normal service' can resume shortly?

Regards always,

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9