'Cambrian Street'

BobM

Hi Guys......

Although I am 'happy' with the overall look of the engine shed, it's operational side, particularly the coaling aspects of the sheds flow, is still the main problem I am having with settling on its design and eventual incorporation into the layout......so I am having a redesign of the engine shed and I have set this out on the layout to see whether it'll both look good and suit the general operation requirements.........

will post and amend this posting when able...cheers guys...regards as always...Bob

• Like 2

Evening Guys....Hope all you kind souls are okay, and unlike some of us here in South Staffordshire not too 'soggy' as it has been quite 'damp' here to say the least, absolutely poured down actually for much of the afternoon....Hey Ho!

Here as promised are the latest images of the revamped engine shed and loco yard......these are tentative plans and not set in stone, but do look okay believe and the coaling procedures look reasonable too, although as always I am open to suggestions and criticism as this is much appreciated......( I will amend this posting as I go along)

The new yard is very loosely based upon the track plan of the shed at Pwllheli, but is not meant as a recreation of that shed by any means, just used as a basis for my layout (shown here)

This is a more 'basic' shed but I feel it looks somewhat more appropriate for what I intend to build?

post-20610-0-84756200-1481402364.jpg

This has meant that the turntable now basically forms the integral theme of the yard, the engine shed moved and becomes a two road shed only there's a single loco and coal wagon headshunt, the dedicated coal siding ends short of this, there's a by-pass road connected tp the turn table for loco only requiring turning, a coal and ash pit road connected to the turntable. also a line off to a head shunt and linked to the repair shop, two loco stabling roads are also available...

(Images here to illustrate)

Two road engine shed, in and outbound headshunt through to main lines

post-20610-0-50324400-1481402709.jpg

The coal siding / ash pit spoil wagons (stops short of turntable, servicing the coal road and ash pits

post-20610-0-38150100-1481402747.jpg

Two loco stabling sidings from the repair building bypass road

post-20610-0-94401700-1481402815.jpg

The repair building, headshunt and link road to turntable

post-20610-0-61402000-1481402865.jpg

Comments as always appreciated.....

Regards,,,Bob

• Like 2

Cheers Gary.....

I hope that this plan 'has legs'....(or should I say 'roads' to it).....this Pwllheli themed design is one that is probably the most comfortable in my mind at he moment and has the advantage of having actually existed......although there is no way that it'll come close to representing it entirely.....but I live in hope!

• Like 2

The coaling plant was simplistic in its basic form in that it was just basically nothing more grand than a corrugated metal shack for weather protection and a hoist come conveyor belt lifting gear into the tender? 

The only concern I have at the moment is that the engine shed looks a little austere and 'lost'......perhaps a bit divorced from the yard?

Will have another look to see if there can be a bit of tweaking.....but may 'sleep on it'......have 'an appointment' with Santa tomorrow, at Arley volunteering on the SVR, so need to get some shut eye as it is an early start !

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 1

Perhaps I am possibly on the 'right track' by using 'Pwllheli' in some form at least as a basic plan for my engine shed, as it can only be 'Santa' his good self that was hint that this may be so....... as take a look at what 'the destination' happened to be on the staff DMU service early yesterday morning that took us all up to Arley for a days volunteering on the Santa Special services......Cheers Santa for the advice...

post-20610-0-18589500-1481571275.jpg

Edited by BobM
  • Like 2

Hello Guys.....

I am settling quite comfortably on my thoughts on Cambrian Street's engine shed (for which I am trying to come up with a suitable name) being based on Pwllheli's overall layout with one or two tweaks, amendments, additions and huge artistic license modifications, here below are the current images of the shed's design.....

The Repair Shop....turntable access and headshunt, this repair shop is only a possibility at the moment, as it is possible to follow more closely the plan of Pwllheli and link this side of the turntable to the access / main lines...but I do quite like the idea of a repair shop here, possibly to indicate an early period in the sheds development?

post-20610-0-39081000-1481577600.jpg

The main roads into the shed, coal and by pass roads,,there's an added double slip. this allows coal wagons to be shunted into position or removed......this (left hand) siding could in theory be connected to the turntable. but unsure if to go down this route?

post-20610-0-77462400-1481577895.jpg

post-20610-0-82321300-1481578005.jpg

Two (additional) loco stabling lines......

Comments please guys......Regards as always, Bob

post-20610-0-84009200-1481578116.jpg

Edited by BobM
  • Like 2

Currently I am planning to incorporate this repair shop into the layout, this the situation at the moment.....

post-20610-0-64388500-1481744971.jpg

However I am open to suggestions as always and with the basis of the layout still on Pwllheii, the turntable was linked through to the main lines shown here -

post-20610-0-72302900-1481744940.jpg

I am therefore just going to have a look at whether this can be achieved given the space limitations on my boards and whether additional loco storage may be appropriate?

Will post with results or a decision to stick with what I have....

Regards as always,

Bob

• Like 3

Hello Guys......

Whilst I retained within that vast, empty and void that lies between my ears, the thought of revamping the one side of the engine shed...I have just been and done what previously was mentioned, pleased don't take what is shown here as being the final plans but just more of any indication of what I was wittering on about !

I have moved the 'repair shop' fro its original position adjacent to the turntable, to a location closer to what perhaps now is indicated to be the 'newer' shed, using one road off what was originally to be a stabling road......it perhaps doesn't look too out of place here and I could live with it.....

post-20610-0-53650700-1481748666.jpg

Now with that thought in mind this is were the 'fun' begins.....leaving everything as it is visa vi the turntable and coaling lines.......I added a new small left hand turnout off the access road linking directly to the main lines, in sympathy with Pwllheli's plan, with some tweaking to be done there is the possibility to have stabling lines coming off the turntable into the available space.....so with this in mind further postings to follow......hope the following images help?

post-20610-0-74294600-1481749010.jpg

post-20610-0-78331900-1481749073.jpg

If I replaced the lower left point with a double slip, the one stabling road will have better access I beleive?

Regards as always

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 2

Hello Guys.....Just a final posting for this evening......

Here once more is the 'repair shop' in its new and intended position, I have moved slightly the water tower to show the access line more clearly ( the tower is of Midland design so 'will have to go' in favour of a GWR design.....I think the overall effect looks reasonable?

post-20610-0-93170800-1481752587.jpg

Having been back to revisit the 'scene of the crime'.....the use of a double slip would serve little purpose, so having had a quick think I have revamped the point work to allow a headshunt and two stabling lines off the turntable.....at this time of night....it looks okay at the moment......

post-20610-0-46877100-1481752778.jpg

post-20610-0-91082000-1481752809.jpg

post-20610-0-14127400-1481752861.jpg

post-20610-0-83723100-1481753053.jpg

The access from the mainline is shown here as is the inward / outward line to the north.....

post-20610-0-97694000-1481752930.jpg

Food for thought here, but as it stands tonight, I am happy with the revamping shown......will sleep on it, posting thoughts later.....off to Worcester tomorrow, taking the bus to Stourbridge and then the train to Foregate Street station, Christmas shopping, lunch in cloister cafe in the beautiful cathedral and hopefully an all round good day off.....!

Regards to all as always,

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 2

Considering a slight tweaking of the current stabling roads off the turntable (shown here)

post-20610-0-96007900-1481828467.jpg

post-20610-0-61095100-1481828537.jpg

Wondering whether it is practical, feasible, logical or necessary to alter the incoming road to link through to the middle stabling line....?

Maybe this is just  a wandering of the mind, but will at least take a look at it, only will advance with this if I can locate a shed plan that follows the trend of thought.....will again post when I've at least had a look at this guys..

Cheers

Bob

• Like 1

Hello again....hope all are 'tickerty-boo' this rather 'soggy' evening, (well here on the Staffs / Shropshire borders it is any road-up)....

Have just spent an hour or so having a peak and scan over the scenario set out in the previous message.....having done so, I couldn't really see any practical way or need to jiggle the point work in the manner required to allow access to the middle stabling line, for every little eventual gain....so will for now put that thought aside.....that said, I will sit here with my shed plan books to have a scan through to search for potential other shed diagrams featuring stabling lines off a turntable that may suit......

(Had a good day in Worcester,,,,really festive in the Cathedral, what with the music inside and bells ringing out across the city during the afternoon....it was superb)....

Cheers

Bob

• Like 2

Bob,

If it were me I would leave it as it is, just my 2p feel free to ignore.

Gary

Cheers Gary.....Just as I posted the previous, your much appreciated comment arrived.....

Ta.... !

Bob 

• Like 2

post-20610-0-95109100-1481835084.jpg

With the thought in mind that I will be keeping to the overall design shown here: -

I am I correct in my thinking that the right stabling line could be shifted slightly so that it links directly pm to the turntable, thereby the 'Y' could be dispensed with leaving just one point on the middle road connected to the turntable (if you understand my drift)... ?

Will go and do it soon and then post an image to illustrate........

Regards

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 2

The 'Y' point has been removed here and the stabling road extended and linked directly to the turntable, perhaps looks a 'slimmer fit' ?

post-20610-0-34597600-1481836401.jpg

Regards

Bob

• Like 2

Hi Guys.......

One further tweak to sleep on (this is getting to be a habit)........

Have linked the remaining stabling line directly to the turntable, some slight readjustment / positioning and spacing may be required, two points have been saved and the headshunt now has dedicated access?

Any comments?

(Is this though, perhaps one point loss too many.....yes, I am lengthening the stabling road but is there some (at least aesthetic) merit in keeping the middle road linked to the headshunt through a point) ?

post-20610-0-06253300-1481841163.jpg

(Sorry for the poor image)

Edited by BobM
  • Like 2

Hi Guys.......

One further tweak to sleep on (this is getting to be a habit)........

Have linked the remaining stabling line directly to the turntable, some slight readjustment / positioning and spacing may be required, two points have been saved and the headshunt now has dedicated access?

Any comments?

(Is this though, perhaps one point loss too many.....yes, I am lengthening the stabling road but is there some (at least aesthetic) merit in keeping the middle road linked to the headshunt through a point) ?

attachicon.gif101_0796 (640x480).jpg

(Sorry for the poor image)

Hi.....

Thanks for the posting....will have a look later using a left hand turnout....Cheers Bob

• Like 1

Evening Guys.....hope your day has gone well?

Having through the years personally found that to assume something usually is the 'mother of all foul ups'....it is with some trepidation that assuming the premise that 'less is indeed more', I have tentatively made the following alterations which I lay before everyone for much appreciated comments as I do sincerely value input however critical as I know it is coming with good intention.......

I have removed one of the stabling lines, so there is now only one.....which I am comfortable with......the space available and the within the overall scheme and size of the shed......

the reduction in the number of stabling lines now means that the road layout can be smoothed as can the access and headshunt road.....

looking at the access roads off and on to the main lines has been simplified by the adding of a single slip and the removal of two left hand points, I have studied the 'flow' pattern and unless I have currently overlooked something is basically okay, I will however go back and recheck everything (after I have had my tea) and have another look.....

Here below are a few images which I hope will highlight the alterations made thus far......comments appreciated my dear friends as always.....

Will post thoughts again....after rechecking has been completed....

Regards

Bob

post-20610-0-33252300-1481917263.jpg

A single stabling road now and the headshunt from the shed line, both connected to the turntable....

post-20610-0-33479600-1481916841.jpg

post-20610-0-91530500-1481917118.jpg

post-20610-0-01304800-1481917190.jpg

Hopefully sensible alterations here....

post-20610-0-98765300-1481917322.jpg

Edited by BobM
  • Like 3