'Cambrian Street'

BobM

Cheers Guys for the support and comments, these are much appreciated......You all have a wonderfully Merry Christmas.....and a hoping for a Very Happy and above all Peaceful 2017.....All the best my friends....Bob :thankyou:

Edited by BobM
  • Like 4

Hi.....

I wish it were possible to undertake a layout that would do that fine station justice, love dear old 'Aber'....as mentioned in a previous post, have plans to move out that way, hope also to start up a modelling group to indeed start a layout that details what the station looked like in the 1950's and 60's....

Cheers

Bob

Hi,

Sadly there is no club as of yet (that I'm aware of), in 3rd year so this is my last year and sadly doubt I'll see the club established. I live in Tenby, also no club in that area as well!

Seeing pictures of Aberystwyth in that era is amazing as the station today is nothing compared to its forma self! 

Ash

Well then....the house has been hoovered in preparation for the arrival of the large individual, with the bushy, white beard and the red coat, and yes I do mean Santa his good self, there's a mince pie, a glass of something to keep the chill out for him and an assortment of carrots for Rudolph and the other lads in the gang....in the meantime.....I have made a slight adjustment to the link lines from the station through to the main line (including the shed access road)......there reasoning being......

I was 'concerned' that any loco's entering the shed from the station throat had to use the 'main up' direction line, not a major problem but a niggle really, so have adapted the set up to now include a loop line coming off the 'up' and a single slip into the shed road, the incoming loco's can now come off the 'down' into the loop then 'reverse' into the shed road, the addition of a diamond crossing allows access the lain lines.......a sketch here to indicate what has altered along with some (poor) images to illustrate too......not set in stone this but to me looks okay at the moment......

Best wishes and regards....Have a great Christmas.....

Bob

post-20610-0-48059600-1482611612.jpg

Looking from 'the bridge' the new left hand point and loop linking through to the new single slip and shed access road...

post-20610-0-45597600-1482611682.jpg

Looking towards the station throat, seems to curve nicely and smoothly, the shed access road (will) join at the single slip

post-20610-0-72195700-1482611708.jpg

Edited by BobM
  • Like 2

I like the logic behind that Bob, seems a sensible move.

Gary

It has been a long time since I've ever heard anyone say, anything that I've done recently had any logic behind it ! Thank you...... :scratchhead:

• Like 1

Still thinking......where the loop joins the 'up' ......I am considering (just for the sake of modelling one) possibly the installation of a sand drag......failing that placing just a right hand catch point....?

Catch point,,,,,,

post-20610-0-21455200-1482616798.jpg

or Sand drag

post-20610-0-78875100-1482616872.jpg

Regards

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 1

Hi,

Sadly there is no club as of yet (that I'm aware of), in 3rd year so this is my last year and sadly doubt I'll see the club established. I live in Tenby, also no club in that area as well!

Seeing pictures of Aberystwyth in that era is amazing as the station today is nothing compared to its forma self! 

Ash

Hi Ash.....Hope you have a wonderful Christmas.....when you have a chance take a look at some of the superbly atmospheric and nostalgic images of good old Aberystwyth station in 1963....you can see why I would like to model this as accurately as I could, given half a chance, the space. time and funds when I hopefully can reside in West Wales.....Take care matey....good luck with the studies (whatever they may be).....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/31890193@N08/sets/72157636205106634/page1

Regards Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 2

Hello Guys....

Possibly the final posting of 2016.......and highlights a couple of minor tweaks concerning the engine shed and the upper section of the goods yard.......

Firstly.....with a realignment of a double slip this has allowed the incorporation of a further stabling road adjacent to the repair shed, also opening and smoothing the curve on to the turntable along the bypass road.....hopefully the following images and the sketch show these correctly....

post-20610-0-82500900-1483124392.jpg

post-20610-0-87377600-1483124468.jpg

post-20610-0-18438300-1483124495.jpg

Have also for a while been looking at the upper section of the goods yard, this seemingly overly complicated, so have trimmed the point work to hopefully make the yard still quite workable but less cluttered as shewn here.....the pilot loco stabling now a dedicated siding.....

post-20610-0-42427400-1483124533.jpg

I'll see how these 'sit in my head' .......

If I don't get the chance to post something tomorrow, have a great New Year's Eve.....All the best for 2017 and many, sincere thanks for everyone's input and advice...this has been and always will be, gratefully received.....

Regards as always,

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 3

Evening !

Just a slight alteration to the 'alterations' made last evening to the upper section of the goods yard.....having looked at the flow I could see that the only route for a loco which required to 'run' around on locals, would have run onto the main line and then reverse on to its stock, so have added a double slip in place of the right hand turnout, this allows a headshunt operation to be undertaken......before and after shewn here..........

Before......

post-20610-0-49488200-1483203617.jpg

After.....

post-20610-0-32497700-1483203638.jpg

Regards to all for 2017 - Have a good one !

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 1

Here's hoping that everyone's Christmas and New Year break has gone well, we are here in 2017, let's hope, it's healthy, happy and peaceful for all....Regards as always...Bob

Evening guys....Hope that your new year has got underway okay and that all are keeping well......?

A new year resolution is always a chance for a 'new beginning' or altering things, indeed over the Christmas and New Year period I have taken on board all the very kind comments and suggestions that have been posted regarding my faltering steps back into the fantastic world of railway modelling......

I have reflected on the comments made and I can see where I have fallen into that all to easily set trap of attempting too much in to a small space and going beyond what is perhaps sensible and achievable given my limited talents in modelling so, whilst I will sketch out the alterations 'on paper' shortly, I will post here some images now showing the changes for your comments and view.......again anything suggested is taken with grateful thanks......

The goods yard and engine shed basically remain as previously shown.......

The main lines also remains as a single line, with no passing traffic for obvious reasons and this is where I realised that perhaps the link line through to the station was overly complicated for the operational size of the station, so the link lines have been trimmed accordingly, retaining the access through to the engine shed / turntable / local carriage shed and the local / goods line.......

post-20610-0-95474500-1483821112.jpg

All traffic into the station uses the 'centre road' having access to the local platforms.....these also accessed from the relief / good line......there is a head shunt / runaround provided for the up / down platforms.....

post-20610-0-09396600-1483820855.jpg

post-20610-0-45738000-1483821052.jpg

post-20610-0-52496600-1483821157.jpg

post-20610-0-45702000-1483821248.jpg

I hope that this posting makes sense, I have attempted to show the alterations made in the best way, it looks okay to myself on the boards perhaps more than these images can convey.....I will post sketches as soon as I can for you.....

Cheers guys once....regards as always,,,,Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 2

I prefer your new entrance to the station Bob, looking forward to seeing more progress.

Gary

Cheers Gary.....

I am making steady, if faltering' progress...I do so appreciate your and everyone's kind suggestions, support and postings....

Bob

• Like 1

Hello....

Here is a sketch of the 'trimmed and simplified' link lines through from the main up / down, the cross overs into the engine shed remain allowing access from each road, there's a headhunt off the main for loco's leaving or entering the shed road possibly with a sand drag (just for the effect)......

post-20610-0-37846700-1483827506.jpg

The local carriage shed remains...the main road into and exiting the station being bi-directional....

Regards

Bob

• Like 1

I like it, and I would put the sand drag in, but I like them as a feature so I would have one if I could justify it.

Just wondering is the carriage shed headshunt needed??

Gary

Hi...Cheers once more....regarding the headshunt I wondered whether if carriages required moving from one shed road to the other, extra room to reverse out may be needed?

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 1

Evening......A question for you as to which of the two scenarios shewn here would be both the most visually pleasing, prototypical and operationally correct......

a single slip used in the first or a double slip in the second.......the second may produce some slight 'snaking' but as these are not passenger carrying lines is that a concern......comments and advice appreciated as always.......(please ignore the town / goods / parcels notes)

post-20610-0-27834000-1483986997.jpg

the single slip use shewn here....using a single slip here would personally save me having to save up to purchase another 'double'...

post-20610-0-26749600-1483995594.jpg

post-20610-0-00394900-1483995622.jpg

also have replaced two points with a double slip within the goods siding area....... this allows the realignment of the town goods /parcels roads and maybe looks smoother?

post-20610-0-55742600-1483995887.jpg

post-20610-0-82752400-1483995912.jpg

post-20610-0-46917200-1483995948.jpg

i am sketching out an idea to remove the town parcels / goods roads converting to just sidings for the main goods area, but unsure whether to go that far...?

Regards as always....

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 1