'Cambrian Street'

BobM

Hi.....

Have made the filler slightly proud of the surface so that I can sand down and then see if further filler is required......

104_2096.JPG.95d71d974119693b86b959fa4c1b3e78.JPG

Hope this'll work.....

Comments appreciated as always....

Regards always....

Bob

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BobM said:

Hi.....

Have made the filler slightly proud of the surface so that I can sand down and then see if further filler is required......

104_2096.JPG.95d71d974119693b86b959fa4c1b3e78.JPG

Hope this'll work.....

Comments appreciated as always....

Regards always....

Bob

Mornin' guys....

Hope all are well...?

Just to say that looking first thing this morning....the filler has gone off well and hardening.....

following on for an initial thought posted last evening, I am increasingly minded to have this wall rendered effect.....

I would be perhaps more comfortable with this as it will be within my limited modelling skills....

also I could 'distress' the wall by showing some of the existing brickwork  beneath to show through, bare patches etc with a ghost images sign i patches..?

Would covering the wall in built up layers of thin artex be a method of achieving this effect?

Regards always...

Bob

• Like 1

Morning.. at wrok atm.. :) rendered would work and as you said a few pathes of brick work.. showing through, is always good people always thought render would stop damp, but in most cases they are wrong, andy lime motor wall needs to breath.. hence damp and blown render. and dont get me started on those people that then painted tar on it to also stop the damp  (can you tell i have removed alot of this from real buildings) :) i use air clay but artex should work..  

Tape a ruler (of thin strip of wood / solid card to make sure the vertical line on next door building is in correct place and stays there , also helpfull if that is same depth as render, can act as a guide

leave a few holes in places, and when 50% dry score with a nail small crack lines from the hole. like so

Capture.JPG.1b2c658d96786caf02f77d56efbf569d.JPG

and don't worry about 100% flat as a bit of bumps is good and can be litely sanded back...

google some photos of blown render, it useually is happens for either damp rising (from bottom, so patch near ground, ) or around window cills, due to condentation from windows, or from leaking gutters... down pipes etc..  :) 

also painting it to match brickwork will not be needed.. a sponge and various yellowy tan's as a base with off whites dabed on top, followed by dirty whites and greys... :)  think i have looked at to much dirt :) 

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, calvin Streeting said:

Morning.. at wrok atm.. :) rendered would work and as you said a few pathes of brick work.. showing through, is always good people always thought render would stop damp, but in most cases they are wrong, andy lime motor wall needs to breath.. hence damp and blown render. and dont get me started on those people that then painted tar on it to also stop the damp  (can you tell i have removed alot of this from real buildings) :) i use air clay but artex should work..  

Tape a ruler (of thin strip of wood / solid card to make sure the vertical line on next door building is in correct place and stays there , also helpfull if that is same depth as render, can act as a guide

leave a few holes in places, and when 50% dry score with a nail small crack lines from the hole. like so

Capture.JPG.1b2c658d96786caf02f77d56efbf569d.JPG

and don't worry about 100% flat as a bit of bumps is good and can be litely sanded back...

google some photos of blown render, it useually is happens for either damp rising (from bottom, so patch near ground, ) or around window cills, due to condentation from windows, or from leaking gutters... down pipes etc..  :) 

also painting it to match brickwork will not be needed.. a sponge and various yellowy tan's as a base with off whites dabed on top, followed by dirty whites and greys... :)  think i have looked at to much dirt :) 

Hi

Brilliant advice thank you.....

I do have both artex and DAS clay for the surface....

Exciting stuff...amazing how things can develop in a different direction to that initially intended....

Regards always...

Bob

Hi Guys.....

Have sanded the surface slightly and taped down a coffee stirrer to form the rendering line.....

removed the brickwork beneath the guttering / eve's too

will take things steadily......may use artex in varying layers to build up the surface...

104_2097.JPG.40cbd1822d46b5edda6a85906f723b37.JPG

Regards always....

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 1

Hi......

Have applied an initial layer of artex.....will allow to dry then sand slightly to see what's required next....DAS clay is available to apply....

104_2100.JPG.012d8f7adf8a76d9ec79a089850da675.JPG

Regards always.......

Bob

• Like 2

A good way to get clay flat ish is a rolling pin to make a sheet of it. I then paint surface with pva and place clay on it and cut of excess and lighty smooth it with water and fingers to make sure its beded in properly:) I do same for roads but only roll out centre section and smooth it into gutters to get camber of road. Water is key to keeping it plyable... and I get really messy etc :)

• Like 2

Evening Guys.....

hope you're all okay....?

Sorry for the lack of updates over the last few days.....

.....overall 'things' have been a bit fraught one way and another at 'Bobbert Towers' leaving me a bit 'iffy' in the head (nothing new there then :unsure:) ...but back on 'track' hopefully....have spent an hour or so this evening applying some DAS clay onto the initial rendered surface of the cottage.....will allow to set and see what happens......

104_2125.JPG.5bfa74e0bad7e2d48705a0d6f4b78763.JPG 104_2120.JPG.856afb43244858e38e41e95899e86df8.JPG    104_2122.JPG.a746db57d251c3d4bf2de8b3ee53d2ed.JPG 

Regards always....

Bob

• Like 4

4 hours ago, lezz01 said:

Looks good Bob. 

The most important thing is to get the roof line right.

Regards Lez.

Hi......

The base of the cottage requires lifting to the top of the black foundation of the pub....

...so will require packing underneath....

Regards always.....

Bob

Hi.....

Cheers guys...giving the surface a light sanding...but don't want to overdo it, so will take it steady....

Regards always...

Bob

Edited by BobM

Hi Guys....

Hope you're all okay.....

Here are a few images of the intended orientation of the pub and derelict cottage, with an intention to 'hint' of the street off scene....

intention remains to have a weathered advertising sign of some kind on the rendering......

to have a weathered 'cobbled' or granite set hard surface in front of the cottage and pub.....

104_2146.JPG.474b8db7118f61520894b00d25154225.JPG 104_2148.JPG.a787b2043b6c6fb5494c7fbb6fc0872c.JPG  104_2153.JPG.5fc430e2e6212e3f58a119985fd72024.JPG

Comments appreciated as always.....

Regards always too....

Bob

• Like 7

On 02/04/2019 at 22:51, lezz01 said:

Looking good Bob. I would go with the sets in front.

Regards Lez.

Cheers Lez....

Hope all's well...?

also minded for a short low wall to connect the cottage to the bridge wall ...?

104_2148a.jpg.6a04d4e5fe8cabd29848187246fa1701.jpg

Regards always

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 1

Evening guys...

Have made a little further (hopefully what you'd class as) progress on adapting the Bachmann pub and derelict cottages this evening, well it is winter...did you see snow yesterday too....?

You may recall that I mentioned that base of the cottages would require 'packing' to bring the levels of both the pub and cottage to the same height, the paving then being able to be graded to the correct height once in position......

I have packed the base to the required height through gluing three (ubiquitous and faithful) coffee stirrers together ......have also added a stone wall for effect, this too raised on stirrers to the same height......

104_2174.JPG.a28da063356e17e55255f27009c1461f.JPG 104_2171.JPG.6101ed84c30af275cf06f77b73f81f0d.JPG

How's it looking...?

Regards always.....

Bob

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

5 hours ago, lezz01 said:

It's coming on a treat Bob.

Regards Lez.

Hi Thanks for the kind comments....work on Cambrian Street always 'slows' at this time of year as 'spring arrives' an the lighter nights ensue too, but the shorter time that's available to devote to it, seems to concentrate the mind....?

Will keep updating as progress is made, hope all's well with you and yours....?

Regards always....

Bob

Edited by BobM