'Cambrian Street'

BobM

Evening Guys......

Just to say that I have ordered from Phoenix Paints....the required, dark / light stone and maroon for my adapted Bachmann bridge. This is scheduled to arrive early in the New Year, so as I am back in at the nursery immediately after Boxing Day this isn't going to be a problem.  

I am beginning to get my head around the required routing of the tubing and wire for the next stage of point control through the station itself....have a great week my dear friends.

Will post as soon as I have further news on this bit of the layout.

Regards always,

Bob

• Like 2

Hi....

Here, marked by short lengths of white tubing, is where I believe will be the ideal run of the control wires for the associated points within the station area?

104_5556.JPG.b053e1deee11f06554a3f07622ec800c.JPG

Regards always, 

Bob

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

happy-new-year-2020-text-260nw-1254371938.jpg.c26c9c8c0e91db880ed0c1cc2d109d01.jpg

All the best guys, hope 2020 proves to be 'a good one' for all.....given everything that 2019 brought us, I think we all deserve to be cut a little slack!

Regards always.....

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys...Hope all is okay and 2020 has been kind so far to everyone...?

Hopefully I'll be in a position to begin posting once more soon as further work is commenced on Cambrian Street, 'things' have remained a little 'upsy daisy' through the last month but 'getting there'...!

Looking forward to a visit to Stafford Model Circle show at the beginning of February, usually my first visit to a show of the season...!

Have received the dark and light stone/ maroon paints for the footbridge, so if nothing else is accomplished at least I can do a little painting..?

Regards always...

Bob

Edited by BobM
spelling
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

My dear pals....

I am so sorry not to have posted anything lately, personal circumstances still precluded any modelling progress at the moment and this is 'do'in my 'bl***y' ed'in'  as they say!

I will get back into the swing of everything Cambrian Street soon hopefully, in the meantime I hope all are well?

Regards always,

Bob

• Friendly/supportive 6

• 2 weeks later...

Spent a very pleasant few hours at a very busy, thoroughly enjoyable Stafford Model Railway Circle Show on Saturday and picked up a few bits and pieces which should allow me to progress further with work on Cambrian Street, something which has sadly stalled somewhat recently,  again please accept my apologies for this lack of work my dear friends.

Regards always,

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Friendly/supportive 2

11 hours ago, BobM said:

Spent a very pleasant few hours at a very busy, thoroughly enjoyable Stafford Model Railway Circle Show on Saturday and picked up a few bits and pieces which should allow me to progress further with work on Cambrian Street, something which has sadly stalled somewhat recently,  again please accept my apologies for this lack of work my dear friends.

Regards always,

Bob

I was at Stafford yesterday Bob, and did look out for you, hope you enjoyed the show as much as I did mate.:good:

• Friendly/supportive 1

10 hours ago, Andrew P said:

I was at Stafford yesterday Bob, and did look out for you, hope you enjoyed the show as much as I did mate.:good:

Hello....

Yes, I certainly did enjoy the show, got to the Show Ground early, travelling on the first courtesy transfer bus from Stafford Station and departed at about 2pm., became very busy through the morning the show is seemingly becoming an increasingly and justifiably popular event.

Wondered whether I'd see you too?

Regards always,

Bob

• Like 1

Evening Guys.....

Although I don't have a functioning digital camera at present due to it being, as they around here....'bost',  I cor'prove anythin' but I have in the absence of anything major, actually completed a little further ballasting this evening, which given the 'standstill' in recent months is an achievement in itself......!

Regards always,

Bob

• Like 3

Hi.....

Managed a little further ballasting last evening, will continue to update as and when.

As I have a few days of annual leave (15 actually) to take before this months end, planning to have a trip into 'Brum' tis Friday to obtain a obtain a new compact digital camera so hope to be able to post images once I've purchased a suitable replacement, want to research options beforehand though.

Regards always...

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The EOS is quite good I've heard. I have a Sony Alpha 200 DSLR it has 10 megapixels. My phone has 16.2 megapixels the DSLR does take a better pictures but that's the lens. Most of the pics I take, I take on the phone because the DSLR could not be considered compact in any way.  So the lens options are the important thing I'm thinking and the EOS has lot's of lens options.

Regards Lez.      

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, lezz01 said:

The EOS is quite good I've heard. I have a Sony Alpha 200 DSLR it has 10 megapixels. My phone has 16.2 megapixels the DSLR does take a better pictures but that's the lens. Most of the pics I take, I take on the phone because the DSLR could not be considered compact in any way.  So the lens options are the important thing I'm thinking and the EOS has lot's of lens options.

Regards Lez.      

Cheers Lez......

I used to have a bostin Nikon SLR camera that I used to use to take loads of civil aircraft transparencies when it was the 'old days' and an array of interchangeable lenses for it, sadly when film became 'old mill' and out of fashion, went to small compact digital stuff. This sufficed for my needs, but never really find it rewarding, in that I mean with a transparency it seemed to have 'depth and clarity' sometimes digital seems 'false'?

Any rate wondering whether to go for a similar in the pocket camera or move to a DSLR around the area of 10 megapixel range, with an enhanced storage memory card and a basic (50-70) lens but then have an option to add a greater lens later.

Only really going to be photographing railway stuff, ordinary landscape at the SVR and  my layout so maybe just another compact camera is best?

Regards always

Bob

Edited by BobM

• 2 weeks later...

Evening guys....

Hope that all are okay during this rather disturbed weather and are safe too....?

I have to run  something past you that I have decided to do, this may not be good news to many but I feel it is something which I am going to have to do if I am to continue to build Cambrian Street, the alternative is potentially, the way I am thinking at the moment is to take a hatchet to it, perhaps start over or just not bother to build?

There has been a lot going on in the background in 'Bobby's World' and these factors have not played well into my mindset (hence the lack of postings), these not allowing me to spend as much time on the layout as I would have wished. Even when I have been able to do something I have either 'bu**ered it up' or felt that why am I bothering.....?

The primary fact is I did not plan initially enough in the first place and not install point motors and as my dear pal Lez will attain, my attempts to use wire in tube, did and still does cause me problems as I cannot get the wire through the central point throw bar as would normally be done, twice recently I have torn the pip on two further attempting to connect up the wire through them, this is so disheartening as well as problematic.

Therefore for this layout, I am inclined to just throw in the towel as far as point control is concerned and on this score it'll have to be 'the hand of God' until individual ones fail , this'll allow me to possibly keep my sanity, keep the layout as a distraction, concentrate on the modelling / scenic phase and will curtail for now  curtail the continued urge to smash the whole thing up.

Take care my dear friends,

Regards always,

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Friendly/supportive 7

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Bob, Don't rip it up mate, my mate has a wonderful Layout, but the points are all finger worked, and why, because he isn't worried as he normally operates the Layout on his own, and in Photos, no one would know anyway.

Keep things and do bits when in the mood and run when you can mate.

I do genuinely wish you all the best, whatever your circumstances at home.

A.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Bob,

Sorry to hear you’re having these difficulties! When you’ve poured so much time and effort into a project it’s really hard to make objective decisions about it. Unfortunately, It’s difficult to offer any useful suggestions without sounding trite. (You can probably guess why I say that...)

Is it only the points that are annoying you or are there other things  you’re unhappy with?

I wonder if it’s possible to make a wire hook downwards into the tie bar hole and pass under the rail to reach your wire-in-tube. I imagine using piano wire but I’ll play around with some paper clips to see if it’s feasible.

All the best,

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Bob,

I'm very sorry to hear you are having troubles, Oak Hill had it's points worked by hand for the first 2 years that I had it, and I see nothing wrong with that approach, honestly if the point motors weren't already there for me to wire up, it would have never got them, as I don't see it as necessary unless they layout is to be exhibited.

I hope these feelings do pass and you can be happy with Cambrian Street again, it is a fantastic plan, and I have no doubt it will be a fantastic layout once the scenics are done!

Gary

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Hi Bob, so much good work has already been done it would be a crying shame to give up now.

Is remote point operation that vital? If you are operating the layout at home for your own fun ( Isn't that the whole point (no pun intended) "fun" being the operative word) then why worry about the hand of God? I am, as you know, still at fairly early stages with my layout and my choice of point motors and switches are out of stock everywhere. But I am quite content to just change them by hand.

Keep your spirits up!

Cheers, Ade.

Edited by Adrian Stevenson
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hi Bob, 

Definitely , definitely, definitely don’t rip it up.

I am a big fan of this thread and what you are doing is very good. After 75 pages of the thread don’t even think about going back to square one.

If it’s any consolation I have made the exact same mistake, large through changing the track plan at a late stage so like yourself, I am down to the “hand of God “ but who really cares ? I am probably going be the only one playing with, so it’s no big deal . I am sure we are not the only ones to make that mistake. 

Just get on, enjoying your modelling and enjoy playing trains like all abnormal people do, and make sure you keep posting updates ! 

Happy modelling !

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

As frustrating as a layout can be I would hesitate to take a hatchet to it.   But I do know what you mean about not planning and reaching that stage of going - "if only I'd. . . "  But then I have learnt a few things by having to adapt and compromise.

Obviously if it is not just the point motors then serious consideration has to be given to a remake but personally I would not start again over point motors.  I don't have any and though they might have been nice in some places, I do not really miss them when operating the layout. 

My right index finger has never failed yet!

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1