'Cambrian Street'

BobM

Hi All....

Have dry brushed the lightest colour over the entire section.....

Will allow to dry then use weathering powder.....

IMG_0081.JPG.0e60a37b1bee43d14451fc570f383697.JPG

Regards always....

Bob

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, BobM said:

Hi All....

Have dry brushed the lightest colour over the entire section.....

Will allow to dry then use weathering powder.....

IMG_0081.JPG.0e60a37b1bee43d14451fc570f383697.JPG

Regards always....

Bob

I know I am not there yet, and before I ad the weathering powder, there's something just not right, wonder whether a light rub over with the fibre pen may be needed, but will hold fire....?

Regards always

Bob

1 minute ago, lezz01 said:

I think your dark shade is a little too dark Bob. 

Regards Lez. 

Hi Lez..

Must have jumped over your posting, yes agreed it;s not quite there

Bob

In the same vain as a weathering powder I wonder if you painted it again it might look too "fresh" bob. The rest of the surface looks great. So based on that have you looked up methods using artists chalks and pastels? I think for individual stones that may help you tone them down without affecting the rest? 

Just an idea? 

John 

• Friendly/supportive 1

I think probably to mis-quote Shakespeare 'Have we heard the chimes of midnight'...?

I am not adverse to using this section as a test and rebuild this short piece if necessary, but will keep at it for now, will tone down the dark firstly to see how it looks.

Regards always...

Bob

Edited by BobM

Hi...

I have perhaps erred but have quickly gone over the darkest slabs with a lighter colour to tone down, will have to certainly revisit this, may chuck it, sand it right down or repaint....?

IMG_0084.JPG.8645692093c2cf933cee314783842bfa.JPG IMG_0083.JPG.b8ea70d80a312f725ff97379770346ea.JPG IMG_0082.JPG.d731e164d8a5359980728f043f308491.JPG

Comments very much appreciated...

Regards always,

Bob

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Hi Bob, if you'll take some guidance from a complete stranger to your thread, I would leave that all to dry now, and see how it turns out.

I agree with Lez that you started with too dark a colour, but you've managed to rescue it quite well.

Tomorrow, if you dry brush a light grey on individual lighter stones to get some more contrast then I think you'll be getting near to where you want to be.

Just to prove to you I know what I'm talking about, i did a similar thing some years ago on a station building, adding too dark a colour to some stones:

main-station-painting008.jpg.7e177343b746a1a03028eca8aefd24d0.jpg

which looked awful, but I managed to rescue it and it ended up like this:

main-station056.jpg.aa2bf35f96f462eea198d8f2f8b7cd49.jpg

All the best,

Al.

• Friendly/supportive 1

6 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

Hi Bob, if you'll take some guidance from a complete stranger to your thread, I would leave that all to dry now, and see how it turns out.

I agree with Lez that you started with too dark a colour, but you've managed to rescue it quite well.

Tomorrow, if you dry brush a light grey on individual lighter stones to get some more contrast then I think you'll be getting near to where you want to be.

Just to prove to you I know what I'm talking about, i did a similar thing some years ago on a station building, adding too dark a colour to some stones:

main-station-painting008.jpg.7e177343b746a1a03028eca8aefd24d0.jpg

which looked awful, but I managed to rescue it and it ended up like this:

main-station056.jpg.aa2bf35f96f462eea198d8f2f8b7cd49.jpg

All the best,

Al.

Hi.....

Thank you Al, very much appreciate the input.

I sometimes make a hash of things even with the best guidance and this in one of those times I believe, I will see how it looks tomorrow, however I have a feeling I going to rub it right back down as far as I can (or rebuild this section) and repaint,as I can't live with it the way it is and the more I 'fiddle with it' the madder I become with myself...!

Regards always...

Bob

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, BobM said:

I have a feeling I going to rub it right back down as far as I can (or rebuild this section) and repaint,as I can't live with it the way it is and the more I 'fiddle with it' the madder I become with myself...!

I know just what you mean. I frequently have bruised ankles from kicking myself :D

Al.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Not at all Bob.

All you did was choose the wrong dark shade. If you look at a pavement the stones are subtly different shades of the same basic colour.

Let try this a different way, start with a light stone colour as it comes out of the pot. That is going to be your final colour that you dry brush over the rest. Add some of that colour to a platelet and add one or two brushfulls of dark/light earth and that is your middle shade. Now paint 15-25% of the stones with that shade then add a couple of brushfulls of the basic light colour to it and then add another couple of brushfulls of the light/dark earth colour to  the mix and paint another 10% of the stones with that colour. Once dry then dry brush the whole thing over with the original light stone colour and that should be that. Once it's all dry rub in a dark earthy weathering powder or ground pastel into the whole thing and gently wipe off with a lightly dampened sponge. The job should then be a good un.

Regards Lez. 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

You can't make a dark colour lighter by brushing a lighter colour over it Bob mate. The dark colour will always come though. You can only make a light colour darker, it just don't work the other way mate. Trust me! I know this from bitter experience Bob. Don't give up on it and start again, just rub it all off with a glass fiber brush and repaint it.

Regards Lez. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

Morning......

Have taken it back down (early this morning) with a fibre pen to a level where I can begin again.....as I couldn't live with the result...

IMG_0086.JPG.97e0afe4f9bd7c854cfeebfa2ed09bca.JPG

Regards always

Bob

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, BobM said:

Morning......

Have taken it back down (early this morning) with a fibre pen to a level where I can begin again.....as I couldn't live with the result...

IMG_0086.JPG.97e0afe4f9bd7c854cfeebfa2ed09bca.JPG

Regards always

Bob

That looks really good as it is, Bob! Like slightly damp paving.

Edit: Apart from the scratch marks, which are probably too visible, unfortunately.

How about dry brushing now (?) and while you're doing that, concentrate on a few random slabs to break up the texture just a tiny bit more. Remember random means sometimes the slabs you pick might be next to each other, not equally distributed. (It's very difficult for the human brain to create a truly random distribution - it either wants to create patterns or it sees them when they aren't really there!)

If you could find a process that would get an end result something like that but without the scratch marks, I think you'd be onto something!

Edited by Harlequin
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 hours ago, BobM said:

I sometimes make a hash of things even with the best guidance and this in one of those times I believe, I will see how it looks tomorrow, however I have a feeling I going to rub it right back down as far as I can (or rebuild this section) and repaint,as I can't live with it the way it is and the more I 'fiddle with it' the madder I become with myself...!

Hi,

I have now reached the stage of if I'm not happy with it, then start again, no matter how far along a project I am.  I've learnt that it can often take longer, sometimes considerably so, trying to correct faults to make something I'm happy with rather than starting again and being aware of the mistakes I'd made.

Roja

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Cheers all for the kind messages of support.....I will revisit the section, the camera may not be displaying the 'whiteness' that it does possess in reality. but will let you know how I progress further....

Regards always....

Bob 

• Friendly/supportive 1

Evening All...

Warm enough?

Have remove as much as I believe that I can of the 'heavy' grey that was the trouble, without I think damaging the plasticard surface further, I will source a selection of enamel paint online for postal delivery just in case when I take a walk down Penn Models in K'ford on Thursday they don't stock what I want, they are more Revell stockist than Humbrol which is my usual preference, but I could obtain a few pots these as a back up?

IMG_0087.JPG.e7ec23c3b5e4daeffd3f7640b3fcda97.JPG IMG_0089.JPG.8fa3eb6d48c5a7d364094eb09b477af7.JPG IMG_0088.JPG.d5048b6eaca436c87ef5b96958c51754.JPG

Will keep you kind souls updated on the next stage of this journey!

Regards always

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 4

19 hours ago, lezz01 said:

Not at all Bob.

All you did was choose the wrong dark shade. If you look at a pavement the stones are subtly different shades of the same basic colour.

Let try this a different way, start with a light stone colour as it comes out of the pot. That is going to be your final colour that you dry brush over the rest. Add some of that colour to a platelet and add one or two brushfulls of dark/light earth and that is your middle shade. Now paint 15-25% of the stones with that shade then add a couple of brushfulls of the basic light colour to it and then add another couple of brushfulls of the light/dark earth colour to  the mix and paint another 10% of the stones with that colour. Once dry then dry brush the whole thing over with the original light stone colour and that should be that. Once it's all dry rub in a dark earthy weathering powder or ground pastel into the whole thing and gently wipe off with a lightly dampened sponge. The job should then be a good un.

Regards Lez. 

Hi Lez...Hope all's well and not too uncomfortably hot...?

Can I ask a (stupid) question, when you start with a light stone colour, do you mean apply that unmixed colour on to a percentage (leaving some), or 100% all of the slabs to cover to begin?

Then use the slightly darker mix to over paint a percentage.....or what would be the remaining tiles?

Sorry to be thick, again!

Regards always

Bob