'Cambrian Street'

BobM

• RMweb Gold

That's very good for a first effort Bob. Remember you still have to cover the trunk and main limbs with hot glue or something else suitable so try to keep them as smooth as you can without the big knotts. I would go with a smaller gauge wire as you suggested but other than that it's a top effort mate.

Regards Lez.

• Friendly/supportive 1

8 minutes ago, lezz01 said:

That's very good for a first effort Bob. Remember you still have to cover the trunk and main limbs with hot glue or something else suitable so try to keep them as smooth as you can without the big knotts. I would go with a smaller gauge wire as you suggested but other than that it's a top effort mate.

Regards Lez.

Hi Thanks Lez.....Yes I think a thinner wire will allow for a leaner, less 'chunky' look, as well as being a bit more malleable, I had thought of trying to rub modellers putty into the wire to leave hopefully a rough bark effect?

Regards always

Bob

Edited by BobM

Hi All.....

2nd attempt at a tree.....used a thinner gauge garden wire which I think works better than previously, however for my next attempt I will need to be 'tighter' with my wiring, as it is possibly a little loose...?

IMG_0003.JPG.e11a1ef97f0e55ffdcacd9a3f286a9b9.JPG

Regards always.....stay safe guys....

Bob

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

The top two limbs need to be a little thicker at their starting point Bob. As you say you need to make the twists a little tighter as well. Not enough branching on the limbs throughout their length. Spread the branching along the length of the limb and don't put it all at the end mate. Other than that not too bad. Practice makes perfect. Try coating with hot glue as well to tidy the first two up mate. It will make a big difference.

Regards Lez.  

• Friendly/supportive 1

Hi......

Third 'arboreal' attempt.....somewhat better, but quite not there yet, however will have a go at applying hot glue later to see how I both get on and what the effect looks like...?

Regards always...

Bob

IMG_0006.JPG.adfa40e5d8b378b60198cee339ba11c4.JPG

Edited by BobM
  • Like 4

Hi Guys.....

Have constructed a further test tree to which hot glue will be applied to see how I get along prior to making the 'real thing'.....

Stay safe guys.....

Regards always.....

Bob

IMG_0010.JPG.325d653277278eb1720bdfb9a41c682e.JPG

• Like 5

Mastered in four attempts, nicely done!

Just a suggestion; why don’t you start with the hot glue on your first attempt at the wire armature? That way you’ve got four progressively better armatures to practice the hot glue on, improving each time!

• Friendly/supportive 1

Hi......Hope your respective Thursday's have been going okay....?

After a morning's dentist appointment, shopping, followed by winter preparing this summers dahlia's, thought I'd spend the afternoon 'hot gluing my armateur' .......sounds more uncomfortable than a visit to the dentist...!

Took Toruga's advice and using the 2nd test tree used the hot glue gun to cover the wire armateur, this was the first time I had attempted anything like this before and it was an interesting process to say the least.

Found that working from the heart of the tree and working out from to the tip of each branch, any 'blobs' that formed I found could be smoothed out with the tip of the gun as it was obviously 'hot', anything that remained I trimmed down when set.

Also had an idea in an attempt to create the rough bark texture that is seen on trees such as oak, elm and pines.....by going over the the semi-set glue with a further layer to build up texture....?

Here is the armateur as it was when set.....looks akin to animal in 'white' amber?

IMG_0012.JPG.8c9d3f6141d77db3324a5af0398cdae8.JPG

Then when set painted the whole thing with some sleeper grime, yes it's not the correct colour but only used a test......with further practice I think I should crack it...?

IMG_0015.JPG.1af3f1286c3d065088a4fdd682d27681.JPG  IMG_0017.JPG.4ec92d5edd02116325642cd9d68e8e8c.JPG IMG_0021.JPG.755367e13a50ecf59207fcba8b568420.JPG

Have begun another armateur this time however have made the base (roots) first and hot glued together to hopefully reduce the chances of the piece unravelling whilst under construction.

IMG_0014.JPG.ace03667b9156f7f2444be5b848f9aff.JPG

Regards always

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 2
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold

That tree looks fab Bob. When adding bark detail you can either use a very stiff flat brush or a metal comb. Use a dark greeny grey for colouring mate as tree trunks are not brown. 

Regards Lez.

• Friendly/supportive 1

51 minutes ago, lezz01 said:

That tree looks fab Bob. When adding bark detail you can either use a very stiff flat brush or a metal comb. Use a dark greeny grey for colouring mate as tree trunks are not brown. 

Regards Lez

Hi Lez...Hope alls' well....?

Thanks yes, happy with the 1st attempt using the glue gun for this, will have another go on the next test piece and use a lighter green grey for the bark, the sleeper grime was an old scrappy pot that needed being used up ,

Regards always, take care...

Bob

Edited by BobM

Evening guys....

Here's one I prepared a little earlier....^_^

Will let you know how I get on with this one....

IMG_0023.JPG.0418d7661291ca2304ae983be178a7f0.JPG

Regards always

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 1

What is the best material to use throw over the top to apply the leaf appearance....heard on the video's that Woodland Scenics polyfibre is idea?

FP178_f_2.jpg.0b103ac917d835e17dd5dd6b9649a61e.jpg

Regards always

Bob

Edited by BobM

NEW-WEB-REMEMBRANCE.jpg.c51d063b5b4e7755a1c6017ee85e673c.jpg

Evening Guys....Hope all are well....?

Thought it may be helpful and interesting if, this time around I post images of the test pieces I am building as I go along as this may highlight where I have has success and where I may be going wrong.....?

So here is the first one......

.......the bunch of wires for this one has been cut and both wired together to hold in position and have also formed the base roots of the treem these will be 'buried' under the scenic ground to hold the armateur in position on the layout......

IMG_0028.JPG.fa7e572d5155b327b205231f093535cd.JPG

Will post as I go along with this one......please feel free to chip in or 'shout' if you believe I am going the wrong way...

Regards always

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 1

NEW-WEB-REMEMBRANCE.jpg.5d4cd71acd46ff612af282fbb079c0a4.jpg

Hi Guys.....

The ultimate intended scale height of this test tree is to be approximately 25 - 30 feet, so have attached another 'tie' at a height of 12 feet (1/3 of the height) where the lower branches will begin to form and 'branch out'.....this is loose enough to move up or down as required.....?

IMG_0030.JPG.3bc26b7283ba7eb6506a184a6465084b.JPG

Regards always....

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 1

NEW-WEB-REMEMBRANCE.jpg.1b2f9b9f8a18898ddd4d9c6c703f4587.jpg

Hi Guys....

Have formed up what I hope will be the main branches of the tree.....ultimate height should shrink as the canopy is either formed or longer wires trimmed off.....I do have one note to self that I have learnt at this early stage is not to apply hot glue to the upper wires, as this becomes out of scale and too 'blobby'....so will leave the upper wires as the 'twiggier' upper structure.

IMG_0033.JPG.fc6b8406c665cfd1096ab9b721ec63ea.JPG

Regards always.....

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 4

NEW-WEB-REMEMBRANCE.jpg.fc27b233dde3c2e3aae9923a863df47f.jpg

Afternoon  All......

Hope everyone's Remembrance Sunday morning has gone well...it was rather moving here, as I am sure it was for many of you guys, to stand in silence outside our homes with neighbours on our own doorsteps.

Have formed up the next armateur and I do quite like the way this one looks.....hope you do too, as mentioned previously when I use the glue gun I will restrict applying anything but to the main trunks and branches, leaving the thinner wires bare as earlier attempts looked too thick on the upper canopy?

IMG_0036.JPG.a9a37717cbd2b624e597f6ca062a4666.JPG

Will post another image when the glue has been applied, would rubbing in modellers putty be an alternative though?

Regards always

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

NEW-WEB-REMEMBRANCE.jpg.c96be28d9af12a6734b8d3c03757ed2d.jpg

Afternoon again......

Made a slight adjustment....have reduced the overall scale height of the tree down to around 25 foot, by 'lopping' some of the runck from the base and revamping the roots...may reduce this further later, doing so is giving the tree a less 'Redwood-like' trunk.....lowering this further may provide a more balanced appearance I believe?

The scale height between the roots / ground and lower branches is now approximately 10 foot which is quite acceptable.

The intention is to remove the blutac base once either the armateur is glued or 'puttied' up and set into Das Clay before final painting and making the leaf canopy.

Will test the putty idea on one of the previous armateurs before I move on to this piece, just in case I make a hash of it.

IMG_0043.JPG.2a51c5850dab3e6a19fe77dc0db70eaf.JPG

Regards always....

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 2

NEW-WEB-REMEMBRANCE.jpg.c602c28628c7a61665b16f5188a561db.jpg

Me again, sorry..!

Have taken the previous armateur test piece and gain reduced its scale height to provide a better proportioned tree....will use this as the test piece utilising putty rather than the glue gun...

IMG_0044.JPG.dd74b637c4e2c6fe4f47c2f5611a2785.JPG

Regards always...

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

As with most things in this hobby there are different ways of doing things, finding one that suits you is the important thing. Try different ways of covering the trunk, I use a hot glue gun, but a different  method that you're not so happy with can still find a place on your layout.  The same goes for the foliage, my trees are a mixture of Woodland Scenics fibre matting and their foliage clumps, often depending on what I have available but the end result is variety.

Thanks for all of your posts.

Brian

• Friendly/supportive 1

Evening all.....

Well, I have had a go at using modellers putty instead of the glue gun used on previous test trees.....the overall effect is quite pleasing for a bark texture.....found it rather more fiddly to apply but that may just be me not having done so before.....and I have no idea as yet if this will 'crack' (however that in itself may added to the bark texture)  but the application of paint  will probably seal it?

Comments as always appreciated

IMG_0048.JPG.f7523a7e0cc96a3d63c2c2f222aa8e92.JPG

Regards always....

Bob

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Yep it looks good Bob. Even better than the hot glue. You can also use neat PVA or milliput in fact anything you can stick to it. Plasticine is good and once you get it to the shape and texture you want you can fix it with linseed oil. Some people dip the armature in a PVA/plaster mix. Some bind it with tape, and then paint it with PVA, there are many, many ways to skin that particular cat my old mate! It's really just a case of suck it and see.     

Regards Lez.

• Friendly/supportive 1