'Cambrian Street'

BobM

That is a nice collection Bob, I will need Dukedog for my BLT Layout at some point.

Super cabinets as well.

Hi Andy......

Thanks for the posting....again these cabinets stem from the kindness of my late uncle Dave.....(a relatively local company in Smethwick, West Midlands manufactures a superb range)...they do keep the locos clean, dust-free and superbly displayed when not in use.....

Regards

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 1

I am presuming though that they'll operate without a 'chuff-chuff' sound though ?

Will have to go back to the old background 'atmosphere' of taped, CD or even 12" record steam sound.....ah the memories eh?

Regards

Bob

Hi Bob,

Have to be honest, I don't know. I thought I had read (or heard ) somewhere of a DCC loco that would give just a basic "chuff, chuff" on DC, without any of the other available sounds, or ability to control it, but I cannot remember where I heard/saw it, and an internet trawl has yielded no results - I may well have imagined it - I have a fertile ( and untrustworthy ! ) imagination !   :sarcastic:  :sarcastic:  :sarcastic:  :sarcastic:

Hi Guys....

This is the planned alteration to the track plan......a turnout has been removed....(originally linked to the goods / relief ) the ensuing runaround which was come to the think of it, very short to the point of being useless, has disappeared.....any runaround required can be performed within station limits or as any stock being moved into or from the carriage shed will be empty stock, they theoretically can be propelled as standard procedure.....

post-20610-0-81165700-1487801824.jpg

Regards as always

Bob

• Like 2

Hi Bob,

Have to be honest, I don't know. I thought I had read (or heard ) somewhere of a DCC loco that would give just a basic "chuff, chuff" on DC, without any of the other available sounds, or ability to control it, but I cannot remember where I heard/saw it, and an internet trawl has yielded no results - I may well have imagined it - I have a fertile ( and untrustworthy ! ) imagination !   :sarcastic:  :sarcastic:  :sarcastic:  :sarcastic:

Hi 

Have found this ?

Bob

• Like 1

Hi 

Have found this ?

Bob

That may be where I got the idea from then ! Not sure if is common to all sound decoders, but, I am sure if you ask the question over on the DCC forum, someone will be able to give a definitive answer. I have never tried any of my sound fitted locos on DC.  Mine all have esu Loksound V4 decoders fitted which have had the sound files upgraded by one of the members on here, but, he swaps out the esu instructions (if there are any) for his own instructions as there are some distinct differences in function controls.

Other than that, I make sure when I get a new DCC fitted loco, or upgrade one myself, that I check (and change, if neccessary) the CV settings to allow DC running.

Hi Guys...and Good Evening......

Just to update......I have begun albeit slowly, to lay some track on Cambrian Street....but it will be a slow process, mainly due to work (horticultural) and the lighter evening making out of doors (gardening) tasks more pressing.....

That said track laying will continue.....I am also intending to seek out a potential local source for the necessary wire tomorrow (but will be riding the cushions for a change on the SVR too), rather than the final resort of internet online ordering, will keep you good guys informed.....

Regards to all as always,

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 2

Hi Bob,

I do so appreciate the advice and comments on this topic......

I am 'currently' ( no pun intended there   :jester: ).....building this as DC layout , returning to layout building after a 40 year gap, back then as a 'little bubber' of 10 - 15 years only really concentrating on the scenery and building jobs, my now both late uncle and brother doing the technical stuff......so only going DC at the moment to obtain the necessary experience of wiring, soldering and switches prior to what hopefully will be a longer term 'cunning plan'......

This plan hopefully entails surviving long enough to reach retirement in around 10 years time, sooner if possible but who knows, moving out to the Aberystwyth area, where if there isn't already one in existence, start up a modelling group, to build a 00 or even 0 gauge  recreation of 1950's to 1960's Aberystwyth station, including its engine shed and link through to Carmarthen.......

I just love the images of Aberystwth station as it was in that period and its layout as it epitomises (to me) a terminus station as it should look, also its engine shed, coaling stage, goods and lack of turntable (using a triangle to turn locos) just makes me go all 'gooey'   :mosking:

So all the advice received here on DCC is for the future,,,I hope !

Regards Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 3

Hi Guys......

Just to update......

Will be soon placing an order for

Black wire

Red wire

Orange wire

Solder

Wire stripper

(Santa brought me a 25w soldering iron this last Christmas (clever chap)...... so we are on the countdown to begin initial wiring up once it arrives and all the track is down).....this'll be getting and looking serious soon, given time !

Regards to all

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 3

Hi Guys......

Just to update......

Will be soon placing an order for

Black wire

Red wire

Orange wire

Solder

Wire stripper

(Santa brought me a 25w soldering iron this last Christmas (clever chap)...... so we are on the countdown to begin initial wiring up once it arrives and all the track is down).....this'll be getting and looking serious soon, given time !

Regards to all

Bob

Morning Bob, good to see progress mate. Red and Black to the Track, I understand that, but whats the orange wire for? If it's the Point Motors you will need 2 colours one for the neutral and the other for the 2 feeds, so 3 wires, normally 2 colours.

• Like 2

Hi Andy.....Hope you are okay......

Thanks for your kind message, .......As my layout is DC, very basic in design and is to be operated from on GM model D, the layout split into two zones so that each zone can be operated from separate control knobs.....

.....the main bus wires being + red zone one and  + orange wires for zone two with all   - black wires

.....one + section wired up in red droppers (zone 1), another for the + switched sections (zone 2) for ease of identification wired in a differing colour 

Cheers and regards....

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 2

Hi Guys.....

What brilliant service from the company I've ordered the wire etc.....from this evening....just had a message to say it has been despatched !

Regards

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 3

Look what I've got...!

post-20610-0-01038600-1488467823.jpg

Now all I need is the time to do the wiring.....

Just seen hidden in the foot of the intended bridge, is where I propose to locate the controller too...

Regards to all...

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Don't worry Bob,

My Hailsham layout got its first thread to start planning in August 2014, track laying started in July 2016, and it still isn't wired!!

So you have plenty of time before you catch up with me!!! :jester: :jester:

Gary

Edited by BlueLightning
  • Like 1

Hee Hee....I think by the time I catch you up Gary, your layout will have upgraded to modern colour light signalling, totally overhead electrified  and be privatised ! :jester:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Not a chance Bob!! Hailsham was closed by Beeching before it got a chance for any of that!! (Even British Rail thought it should stay open!!!!)

Besides it's firmly in 3rd rail territory not overhead!!! :jester: :jester:

Still at least I have Oak Hill to play with in the meantime. (and the other 2 layout's I'm planning!!)

Gary

• Like 2

Hi Guys.....

Hope all's well with 'my gang' ?

There's been little to advance Cambrian Street other than having a look over the requirements for the next track laying section and then underneath boards where the bus wires will be going and running to the controller....

The reason,   well.....it's been a busy old time at the horticultural nursery now that spring 'has sprung', (maybe back to winter though next weekend if the longer range forecast charts are to be believed )......and at 'Bobby Towers'.....a new backdoor, two new windows fitted with the hall and landing decorated too.....all my own work too ....but then again my name is Pinocchio!

Thank heavens for professional guys!!

Will update when progress is made....

Regards as always to all

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 2

Hi Guys.....Hope you are all well?

PLEASE.....I require reassurance that it is just not me and we've all had trouble laying track? 

I have had to walk away from the layout this evening as I could quite easily have ( and still could) take a hatchet to the whole layout and have a midnight bonfire made from the whole bloody thing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have had to hit the coffee and chocolate biscuits, to calm my nerves and language as I feel like ripping the whole thing to bits, as I cannot seem to get into the swing of it......even a bent track pin sends me into a rant and nothing seems to gel together or fit, gaps in the rail joints, seemingly the plan has collapsed to me....

Have shut the door on it for today and going to bed in a while, maybe a day on the SVR tomorrow, perhaps hacking away at some logs will make me feel better......

Night night...

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hi Gary.....

I think I have regained the initiative and more importantly my composure....have gone back and all seems well....I do so apologise for having a 'wobbly'......it just seemed that one slight error just threw the whole flow and orientation of the approach lines and access into the engine shed in chaos and having had a rather tiresome day anyway, I thought that an evenings few hours on the layout would be therapeutic.....little did I know!

Cheers for the support.....have a good week...

Regards as always.....

Bob

• Like 3

Hi Guys.....Hope you are all well?

PLEASE.....I require reassurance that it is just not me and we've all had trouble laying track? 

I have had to walk away from the layout this evening as I could quite easily have ( and still could) take a hatchet to the whole layout and have a midnight bonfire made from the whole bloody thing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have had to hit the coffee and chocolate biscuits, to calm my nerves and language as I feel like ripping the whole thing to bits, as I cannot seem to get into the swing of it......even a bent track pin sends me into a rant and nothing seems to gel together or fit, gaps in the rail joints, seemingly the plan has collapsed to me....

Have shut the door on it for today and going to bed in a while, maybe a day on the SVR tomorrow, perhaps hacking away at some logs will make me feel better......

Night night...

Bob

Hi Gary.....

I think I have regained the initiative and more importantly my composure....have gone back and all seems well....I do so apologise for having a 'wobbly'......it just seemed that one slight error just threw the whole flow and orientation of the approach lines and access into the engine shed in chaos and having had a rather tiresome day anyway, I thought that an evenings few hours on the layout would be therapeutic.....little did I know!

Cheers for the support.....have a good week...

Regards as always.....

Bob

Your NOT the first Modeller to have a WOBBLY, I've been there many times, Look at Bristol Victoria as a recent example, totally lost the plot, and it had to come up. Don't give up on it just yet, it sounds in the latest post like your back on top of things.

All the best mate.

• Like 2