'Cambrian Street'

BobM

• RMweb Gold

It's a fine looking building Bob. You could cut the platform to shape and sink it into it instead of cutting the building down. I would also put this one at the end and have the flat roofed building running parallel to the track. That way the higher building will be at the back and look better in my opinion.

Regards Lez.  

• Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, BobM said:

Hi....

Thinking of the easy route, could use this 'fine beast', would have to cut the platform I have to inset at the correct level, loosing the loading platform shown so the door is at or slightly above my platform level (a ramp constructed to wheel in trolleys), the small office and adapt sidings again perhaps, but this together with the flat roof building using Skytrex may be a way forward?

Will have a measure up when I return home tonight...

1397006683_B00-16.jpg.282bdb7721a6f04ce029f249683bda3d.jpg

Comments appreciated...

Regards always....

Hi....

Could even just use it as a single story building?

Regards always

Bob

Evening guys.....

Just another muse for you.....and thanks Lez , the warehouse  footprint will fit within the position shown with the smaller flat roof parallel to the track....

IMG_0148a.jpg.543f2c2b94f762611868a9d24104fa38.jpg

Regards always, stay safe.....

Bob

Evenin'....!

Just a little further platform edge work,,,,,,and an indication of  where the warehouse and single storey flat roof building may settle?

IMG_0006A.jpg.bfd36f8da8f6e1902f4ab04881d0b9dc.jpg

Regards always

Bob

• Like 4

Evening Guys......Hope all are well....?

A brief update this time, the edge paving has been completed all the way around, albeit roughly......also an image of two footbridge York Modelling kits, yes, couldn't  decide which one would look best on the layout so bought the two! One to be used when I've made the decision,  either slight curve or flat walkway, the unused either stored for later layout , sold or passed on....?

The warehouse LCut has arrived too, so busy kit building time ahead...?

IMG_0013.JPG.2f44cb108f67641b8c559069e69c0bdf.JPG IMG_0012.JPG.224de9e3d299d5b33f7f7e17b7b79b1f.JPG IMG_0015.JPG.81f59bb51776b5e20f98869d42b25f4a.JPG

Have a great weekend, please stay safe my dear friends.....

Regards always

Bob 

Edited by BobM
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Looking forward to the warehouse build Bob. I might have a use for one of those.

Having started building the EM track for Tewkesbury shed I'm enjoying it so much that I've come to the realization that the 00 gauge home layout is never going to do it for me so I'm close to a decision that I'm going to rip it all out and sell the whole lot lock stock and barrel so I can fund an EM gauge home layout based on Dudbridge and Nailsworth. If I leave out the goods yard at Dudbridge I can just about fit in the platform and junction and all of Nailsworth albeit in a shortened form with a continuous run as well for good measure. The stock for Tewkesbury shed will be fine for the home layout as well. It's great to be modeling again after a long hiatus. I'm taking pics at every stage of the track build and will be starting a thread for Tewkesbury shortly.

Regards Lez.      

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, lezz01 said:

Looking forward to the warehouse build Bob. I might have a use for one of those.

Having started building the EM track for Tewkesbury shed I'm enjoying it so much that I've come to the realization that the 00 gauge home layout is never going to do it for me so I'm close to a decision that I'm going to rip it all out and sell the whole lot lock stock and barrel so I can fund an EM gauge home layout based on Dudbridge and Nailsworth. If I leave out the goods yard at Dudbridge I can just about fit in the platform and junction and all of Nailsworth albeit in a shortened form with a continuous run as well for good measure. The stock for Tewkesbury shed will be fine for the home layout as well. It's great to be modeling again after a long hiatus. I'm taking pics at every stage of the track build and will be starting a thread for Tewkesbury shortly.

Regards Lez.      

Hi.....

Sounds great and I'll look forward to following your progress on here when your thread is launched!

Only had a glance inside the box, both the LCut and York Model kits look very good.

Take care...

Regards always,

Bob

Evening All.......

Hope all are well,,,,?

An hour or so has been given to 'laying' a few further slabs on the parcels platform.....I am thinking that this will indeed be the full extent of the slabs on this platform, the intention is to have the remaining surface either tarmac or concrete,,,,,,this surface will surround the parcels and warehouse as a hard flat standing.

IMG_0016.JPG.32e8e8f9e3127acbc3d057c2302b2c65.JPG

Regards always,

Bob

• Like 3

Evening my good friends.....

Thought you like to see how I envisage the flat roof 'parcels' building developing, using Skytrek pieces......

IMG_0019.JPG.5f682e6176778d34105f1cc4f0aeb244.JPG IMG_0023.JPG.71480ded1ba70d8e265970a3a3265f4f.JPG

The flat roof I am intending to create through using coffee stirrers covered in perhaps pva and then painted over with a suitable bitumen colour effect...and as you suggested Lez could make up a scene with workmen 'fixing the roof'!

If I get this right, it could look effective?

Regards always...

Bob

• Like 5

Evening All.....

A posting to report that the bulk of the 'slabbing' has been completed and also having spent an afternoon, on what has termed out to very wet day here in South Staffs 'grouting' these in.....have used a light weight and easily applied balsa wood filler for the purpose, this has been lightly sanded down to remove excess filler or any out of scale bumps!

IMG_0025.JPG.9423c62acf596e6e4225c823b068af95.JPG IMG_0024.JPG.63d739d06060636648a472db4ba839e0.JPG 

IMG_0026.JPG.29769247d16b1b486febfc1f910b323e.JPG

Have a good week, stay safe my friends.....

Regards always....

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Evening Guys......

Completed the build for this evening.......

As this is developing I am minded to keep an eye on the potential that the warehouse may be too dominant perhaps, but will see what this building looks like when complete?

IMG_0040.JPG.5ecc29ccb9500b0b2213d6b3206d16d7.JPG IMG_0035.JPG.1aa9ad7f080fa926d6a92ab2fa5591d1.JPG IMG_0034.JPG.cd2b9dfda3e82b6423771191a04e842b.JPG

IMG_0032.JPG.8710b21a5c807734ba3bb4b32857aa4d.JPG  IMG_0031.JPG.ff6661397d260ff42f8d8372b420e8cf.JPG

Regards always...

Bob

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

It's looking good already Bob.

I've had to pause the track building for a brief time, I'm finishing off building a filing jig for making crossing Vees and switchblades. I had built just the switchblade planing angle part because I have never had a problem filing the vees themselves. However I don't like the fact that it's only half built so I'm finishing it off before I start cutting and filing rails. All of the timbers for the 4 points are finished and either loaded into the jig for the B6s or fixed down over the plate glass covered templates for the tandem and the B8R turnouts. Once I've finished the filing jig I'll make all the crossing vees and closure rails and build and fit the crossings on all of the points in one go. I may even build a jig for the crossings if I have enough brass strip to hand. There's no such thing as too many jigs, what can I say I just like making tools.          

Regards Lez.

• Friendly/supportive 2

9 hours ago, lezz01 said:

It's looking good already Bob.

I've had to pause the track building for a brief time, I'm finishing off building a filing jig for making crossing Vees and switchblades. I had built just the switchblade planing angle part because I have never had a problem filing the vees themselves. However I don't like the fact that it's only half built so I'm finishing it off before I start cutting and filing rails. All of the timbers for the 4 points are finished and either loaded into the jig for the B6s or fixed down over the plate glass covered templates for the tandem and the B8R turnouts. Once I've finished the filing jig I'll make all the crossing vees and closure rails and build and fit the crossings on all of the points in one go. I may even build a jig for the crossings if I have enough brass strip to hand. There's no such thing as too many jigs, what can I say I just like making tools.          

Regards Lez.

Clever lad!

Take care....

Regards always....

Bob

Evening guys......

Using an internal balsa wood framework the 'parcels / small goods' building has been strengthened and then the flat roof has been constructed from coffee stirrers, this being covered in a skim of pva harden off prior to applying a 'bitumen colouring' effect.....

IMG_0042.JPG.01c2834a4bd592eabd263f9d785f5944.JPG IMG_0044.JPG.b925f328a6b282d8199d6927fbcedcd5.JPG IMG_0046.JPG.f5c04eb577dbea2a5630cb8805297c4e.JPG

Regards always, stay safe my friends.....

Bob

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Looking good Bob. 

I too have been busy today mate. I've just finished the filing jig.

20201216_172322.jpg.e20eec670c689cc734be852b3934410c.jpgIt worked perfectly 1st go. As you can see from the soldering jig the test pieces of rail have the correct angle they are just rough, they need cleaning up a bit before soldering up properly.

Regards Lez. 

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

59 minutes ago, lezz01 said:

Looking good Bob. 

I too have been busy today mate. I've just finished the filing jig.

20201216_172322.jpg.e20eec670c689cc734be852b3934410c.jpgIt worked perfectly 1st go. As you can see from the soldering jig the test pieces of rail have the correct angle they are just rough, they need cleaning up a bit before soldering up properly.

Regards Lez. 

That is brilliant work Lez, you are certainly a craftsman!

Bob

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Why thank you Bob. I trained as a toolmaker and I've tried to carry that with me as much as possible into my DIY and modeling. I can't take credit for the design as it was done by one of my EMGS colleagues although I have added a few bits of my own to it. It works very well so I'm very pleased with it. Back to turnout building now mate.

Regards Lez.

• Like 1

Evening Guys..... I have another 'muse' for you...(Oh no, not again I hear you cry)...

You may recall that I was becoming a little concerned that the LCut warehouse that I have (still unmade) may if constructed and installed into the intended position, may overwhelm or dominate the area at the end of the platform.....?

Well I have fashioned out of Skytrex bits and pieces  an 'extension' to the parcels area (that is again flat roofed) and is less intrusive, comments appreciated, although I do quite like it?

What I don't want to do is make up the warehouse , find it is indeed too overpowering and discard it?

IMG_0050.JPG.baa44eac89ae7d65fd380d34d98f3c5f.JPG IMG_0048.JPG.4300c14fefb0935cee8c2cc0d9ae4bab.JPG IMG_0047.JPG.cf0ac2865d25f3392e92ae3a44cffa4c.JPG

Regards always

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Just cobble the sides and ends together with bluetack Bob. That way you can see if it does over power the scene without damaging the kit and if it's too much you can sell it on.

Regards Lez.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I have placed the sides  and frontage together...the result is I remain unsure whether it fits in, so will keep this on the back burner..while I figure out the construction instructions clearer in my head as they seem a bit involved....?

It is more a case that on reflection I do not believe the design of the building is quite right for sitting on a station platform environment?

Hope all's well with everyone...?

Keep safe...regards always....

Bob

Edited by BobM

Evening Guys.......

Hope all are well...?

In the absence of being absolutely happy with the 'warehouse', either in its size, design and suitability, I don't want my 'dithering's' hold up any future progress on the layout, it is more a lack of confidence on my part or abilities that would hold me back.....so I have made the decision to move ahead with Plan B which uses a lower separate building in similar design to the larger single story adjacent building.....again with a flat roof.....here is how it may look....

I am happier with this arrangement an that it will allow me to move ahead, I will also be able to adapt the design of the platform should II wish to insert the warehouse at a later stage ?

IMG_0053a.jpg.e2e41e7de391f5c0f1ac8b42bd823af2.jpg IMG_0056.JPG.592b4fdaa0587e28169f2192966e9121.JPG IMG_0055.JPG.59009d1f0537ec1c48e7be58235e6cd4.JPG IMG_0053.JPG.ca92a8fd9993cb83adc7feb5cc30e30b.JPG

What do you think guys....?

Regards always

Bob

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

Hi Bob, I think I prefer you new revised plan.

Cheers, Ade.

Thank you Ade for the kind comments, I think this way will be the way forward for me to progress confidently and it'll be somewhat more in keeping with the general look of the station,  it is an example of my lack of earlier planning or basing the station on a specific place or time, 'Mea Cupla' entirely....!

Regards always.....

Bob

Edited by BobM