'Cambrian Street'

BobM

48 minutes ago, lezz01 said:

Those panels look fantastic....the two combined 60w ceiling lights I have are certainly 'dim' in comparison.....! 

The room is fine in the summer months...this time of year, it's a different matter, if there's a 'next time' things will be so different.

As individual bulbs blow it is a devil of a job to change them, centered as they are over the layout boards too.

Regards always

Bob

Edited by BobM

Afternoon my friends....

The process is underway to initially weather the platform side of the parcels building.....will as always, let you know how we go......

IMG_0098.JPG.ca30d928118189c3ea5427e3d68f3050.JPG IMG_0096.JPG.274ce0f3fa916ef0f12825d07dd756f2.JPG

Take care, stay safe.....

Regards always

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 2

Evening guys.........

Hope that your respective Sunday's have been safe and okay......

An initial application of Precision Paint GWR Light Stone has been given to the main doorway and the window frames.......

IMG_0115.JPG.b0f8c3881823bc848523cab336ce5f1c.JPG IMG_0114.JPG.78c0735278e07909f2870b020d0ad06c.JPG 

IMG_0111.JPG.af98b8f78619dce4048a5ac8ee2865ec.JPG  IMG_0113.JPG.96dac5526db44d3cfb91e1f07505b409.JPG

The intention next is to paint up the remaining down pipes/ door frames in GWR Drak Stone and the missing white on the window frames.....thereafter each individual panel, will be 'revisited' to weather up, tweak and given greater attention to....hopefully won't make a mess of it...?

Regards always...have a peaceful week....

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 7

Hi Guys.....Hope all are well.....an update on the old parcels office,  I seem to have been on this ages, but I must admit it's interesting to see as this develops bit by bit, sometimes I think I wrecked it, other times I am spurred on by the way things that I do add to the interest and by the way that certain techniques add character...?

I am always heartened by your kind comments and guidance, both of which you know I greatly appreciated, I know that sometimes you must think 'what the heck is he doing', you have great patience my dear friends...!

The work tonight has involved.....

Placing an initial coat of dark stone to the main doorway  and the window frames........

IMG_0125.JPG.3e3e1e510f94f4702518306594a05068.JPG IMG_0123.JPG.51f281282b2ea9650e5cbf31b22e5032.JPG

Using a scalpel blade the excess DAS clay that had accumulated around all the curved brick work, lintels and all those 'nooks and crannies' has been gently removed prior to repainting  and weathering.......

IMG_0116.JPG.e0de7ee55c77c2cfa78634a969c6b2ee.JPG

......also on the siding side, have begun the process of tidying this too, with the removal of said excess Das and with a fibreglass pen and blade gently distressing some of the brickwork....

IMG_0121.JPG.daf6f37a93fe71cf5ecf4ff4fd869d3d.JPG

Regards always

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Well I don't think you've wrecked it at all Bob. In fact I think it's your best work yet mate. The walls have a character that makes them look real far beyond what a ready to plant building could ever do.

Regards Lez. 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

12 hours ago, BobM said:

Hi Guys.....Hope all are well.....an update on the old parcels office,  I seem to have been on this ages, but I must admit it's interesting to see as this develops bit by bit, sometimes I think I wrecked it, other times I am spurred on by the way things that I do add to the interest and by the way that certain techniques add character...?

I am always heartened by your kind comments and guidance, both of which you know I greatly appreciated, I know that sometimes you must think 'what the heck is he doing', you have great patience my dear friends...!

The work tonight has involved.....

Placing an initial coat of dark stone to the main doorway  and the window frames........

IMG_0125.JPG.3e3e1e510f94f4702518306594a05068.JPG IMG_0123.JPG.51f281282b2ea9650e5cbf31b22e5032.JPG

Using a scalpel blade the excess DAS clay that had accumulated around all the curved brick work, lintels and all those 'nooks and crannies' has been gently removed prior to repainting  and weathering.......

IMG_0116.JPG.e0de7ee55c77c2cfa78634a969c6b2ee.JPG

......also on the siding side, have begun the process of tidying this too, with the removal of said excess Das and with a fibreglass pen and blade gently distressing some of the brickwork....

IMG_0121.JPG.daf6f37a93fe71cf5ecf4ff4fd869d3d.JPG

Regards always

Bob

Hi Bob. ,

Far from thinking “ what the heck is he doing ?” I am thinking “ I wish I could achieve results like that “

Dont be too self critical by looking or photographing in close up. The reality is that  when it comes to actually playing trains the layout and the buildings are being viewed from at least 2-3 feet away and then against the distraction of the trains themselves. There comes a point where the finer details got overlooked against the bigger picture. I think the bigger picture is coming along fine.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

31 minutes ago, jazzer said:

Hi Bob. ,

Far from thinking “ what the heck is he doing ?” I am thinking “ I wish I could achieve results like that “

Dont be too self critical by looking or photographing in close up. The reality is that  when it comes to actually playing trains the layout and the buildings are being viewed from at least 2-3 feet away and then against the distraction of the trains themselves. There comes a point where the finer details got overlooked against the bigger picture. I think the bigger picture is coming along fine.

Hi...

Thanks for your kind posting Jazzer....much appreciated..

Take care...

Regards always

Bob

I think it looks cracking Bob.

Best advice I’ve seen regarding if you think you’ve made a mistake or wrecked it, is to leave it out of sight and come back to it after a few days.

But this looks like the engineering brick structures that used to exist down by Moor Street - I think they’re gone with the HS2 development - slightly run down with mortar staining - hope that’s what you were going for!

• Friendly/supportive 1

55 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

I think it looks cracking Bob.

Best advice I’ve seen regarding if you think you’ve made a mistake or wrecked it, is to leave it out of sight and come back to it after a few days.

But this looks like the engineering brick structures that used to exist down by Moor Street - I think they’re gone with the HS2 development - slightly run down with mortar staining - hope that’s what you were going for!

Thanks my friend...

Yes, sometimes I don't know when to stop, but hopefully will achieve that type of brickwork effect....have childhood memories of the route from Wolverhampton Low Level which was blue brick, to Birmingham Snow Hill.

Spent quite a time as a young 'Bubber' with my dear old uncle on West Bromwich Station footbridge getting engulfed in steam and smoke, especially during the 'decay' years prior to closure, so anything in blue brick distress in fact!

It is 'comforting' to see some residual blue brick infrastructure along the route of the Metro into Snow Hill, even though sadly the station there now certainly doesn't have the grandeur of the original  GWR design.

There is one remaining piece of the pedestrian access off Livery Street that I have to go a view every time I go into Brum from Stourbridge, just for old times sake....I hope that this is preserved at some future stage off site, as it would be awful if it gets vandalised.

Snow_Hill_Station_original.jpg.526a030a0b71711739afe0bcb2f43539.jpg

Cheers...regards always....

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 1

Hi Guys....

Hope all are well, and not troubled too much  with flood or snow...?

Just to keep all up to date on what's going on, having obtained some 6mm Tamiya Masking Tape, have begun to mask off the down pipes on the station side of the parcels building, intend to use maroon for these.....will update as progress is made.

IMG_0130.JPG.ea444c2ebbe92e917516d8a9808d5b1d.JPG

Regards always....

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 4

Hi  All....

The masking tape seems to have worked okay on the down pipes.....

also have begun to wash over the remaining whiter areas in the upper and buttress recesses, the white of the internal window frames and outer areas I intend only to give an indication of as they are very fine, the latter against the dark stone colour being applied with the tip of a blade.

IMG_0131.JPG.b18bdba6527e3563a29e3b3acfff725a.JPG

The glass I am attempting to give a 'frosted' appearance, but would a thing layer of varnish complete the illusion?

Regards always....

Bob

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, lezz01 said:

Maybe the bottom half only Bob.

Regards Lez.

Hi....

Something like this perhaps...?

IMG_0135.JPG.eca81f34fff184c68e28e1ac55bd56d5.JPG

Take care matey....

Regards always

Bob

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Yes Bob something almost exactly like that. Tell you what mate, try a piece of white plasticard or white tissue behind the window just to see what that looks like.

Regards Lez.

12 minutes ago, lezz01 said:

Yes Bob something almost exactly like that. Tell you what mate, try a piece of white plasticard or white tissue behind the window just to see what that looks like.

Regards Lez.

Thanks Lez....Sadly the window is solid resin....so can't place anything behind it.

Regards always

Bob

Edited by BobM

Afternoon guys....

Working slowly this afternoon on the individual panels....have applied an indication of white wood work with the tip of a blade, any excess to be scraped away....

IMG_0141.JPG.1e934b4392d88fc57f3b651c873f0843.JPG

Regards always.....

Bob

• Like 5

Hi Guys....

Working on the side elevation.....

If there is one thing I have learnt recently it is to appreciate 'the passage of time'!

Since it has been necessary to spend two days at home due to lockdown restrictions, this not allowing the usual volunteer Thursday and Sunday work on the SVR and outside the normal nursery working hours which  is still allowed,  'time' available seems to be slower and I am achieving and completed a great deal more at home too as a result, home has not been this tidy or as organised in the last 22 years I have now lived alone.

Therefore I am taking the layout modelling slowly too and appreciate that pacing the work is better for the old mental state too...!

IMG_0145.JPG.38eaad1328c979493ebb673ae8204b24.JPG

Regards always guys....

Bob

• Like 4

Evening.....

Just a thought......to perhaps mix things up a bit and make a little more 'real'.....on the next panel.....intend to make two of the glass panels which would 'normally' be frosted....have them 'clear'...musing that in typical Great Western (BR (W)) fashion in the real world guys on site would use anything to hand to repair something (including broken glass) irrespective of the directives to follow the company colour or architecture rules!

IMG_0146.JPG.62ab21ebe4f71f8356a799684637ee0e.JPG

Regards always....

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 5