D9009, 55009 livery query

great central

• RMweb Gold

Andy,

Thanks for finding that one of Dad's.

You found it before I even thought to look for it in my flickr collection!

I've had a look through Dad's other colour photos of Deltics taken from July 68 on, the only green ones I can find after September 1968  appear to be "regiments" - sadly a lot of the slides don't have the numbers recorded and are unreadable.  But all the green ones from then on have very big nameplates.

David

• RMweb Gold

Some more information:

D9009 was allocated to Haymarket TMD on the 3rd December 1967 for a loan period whilst the fleet were equipped with air brakes - those already fitted were allocated to duties out of Finsbury Park diagrammed with air-braked stock. However, D9009 only worked five duties whilst allocated to Haymarket as on the 8th December 1967, whilst working the 1A46 17:00 King's Cross - Newcastle "Tees Tyne Pullman", the locomotive caught fire at St. Neots and had to be shopped at Doncaster for extensive repairs to fire damage. It was in fact the worst fire in Deltic history with one end cubicle destroyed and damage to instrumentation in the cab. Whilst at Doncaster it was decided to give No.9 its classified overhaul and it did not re-appear until 14th June 1968, then equipped with air brakes and painted in blue livery.

Released from Doncaster Works, after General repair, in blue livery and equipped with dual braking (on 11.12.67 for fire damage)

Taken from Napier Chronicles on :   http://www.napier-chronicles.co.uk/9009.htm

14 June 1968 - that is the date she was released from the works at any rate.

Stovepipe - you beat me to it!

David.

Archived