Jencaster - 1930's LMS OO Gauge Layout

ianLMS

• RMweb Gold

I will try to get some "action" shots with a few trains in over the weekend. I hadn't ran a single train for almost 12 months whilst I concentrated on the main part for the scenery, so I was pretty chuffed last week when I had my Streamlined Duchess of Hamilton pulling a 5 coach train and a 3F pulling a 12 wagon train around the layout with only a few minor issues (sticking points etc). I still have no end of scenery, detail and electrical work to do, plus build several wagons from kits and weather the rolling stock so I will be kept busy for many years to come me thinks!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Here is a picture of the Static Grass Applicator I made following Luke Towan's instructions on You-tube (two part video). The tub was from a Peanut container with screw lid, the mesh from a sieve, the body from a 50mm plastic tube and matching screw end caps. The 12v Negative Ion Generator supplied by "Oatley Electronics" was approximately £15 incl shipping from Australia. It can be powered using a 9v battery, or 12v supply using a mains adapter (better static production). This works just as well as a Noch or WWS Static Grass Applicator and I can change the tub size depending on the area I need to apply static grass to.

Note: The Neg Ion Gen's available on Ebay, although cheaper, are not the same product as the ones from Oatley and will not work in the same way. I found this out to my cost! If you follow the video on you tube, you wont go wrong!

post-21193-0-29558800-1447686118_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Good morning and Merry Christmas to all,

Slow progress has been made on the church and farm buildings for Jencaster, but here is the latest. Both structures are from Scalescenes, scaled down to 3mm/ft for the back of the layout to give a little forced perspective. I have formed the ground surface from polystyrene sheets covered in polyfila and the road using a piece of 3mm hard board. I painted the area "Cley" and then added weathering pigments to give the dark brown colours. For the church, I scratchbuilt the Lychgate from balsa wood and styrene strips and the walls from 2mm card laminated between Plasticard textured styrene sheets. I weathered the roof tiles on the structures with Moss Green pigment and stuck the structures down with "No more nails" blending the base into the surface.  I have lots left to do such as plant the headstones, add static grass, weather the walls, road and farmyard, add detail and finish with trees and shrubs etc.

post-21193-0-87691000-1451480778_thumb.jpg

post-21193-0-93838400-1451480793_thumb.jpg

post-21193-0-03434800-1451480813_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Good afternoon all,

After a very busy few weeks, a major re-organization (and clean) of the layout room and workbench, I have finally completed the model of the farmhouse and church, and set them into the scenery. Still a few bits of detailing to do, but I am making good progress. Please accept my sincere apologies for the poor photography - not my strong point:

post-21193-0-75916400-1453726128_thumb.jpg

post-21193-0-88353600-1453726171_thumb.jpg

post-21193-0-29344900-1453726180_thumb.jpg

post-21193-0-34292000-1453726190_thumb.jpg

post-21193-0-96887700-1453726196_thumb.jpg

post-21193-0-46364900-1453726204_thumb.jpg

post-21193-0-62305600-1453726210_thumb.jpg

post-21193-0-97869200-1453726228_thumb.jpg

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

I really appreciate the comment. If it even remotely resembles that area, I will be very happy with the end result. As for buildings, I only have a small engine shed to go bottom left and maybe a timber yard/builders merchant office to go where the additional sidings are and that's it. Lots of detailing to do though, but the main part is almost complete. Where the road meets the field in the last picture I need to add a flexible strip to join it up. The hillside lifts up for access to the fiddle yard underneath so it needs to be flexible. The gap behind the wall along the top of the field will be filled with spongy lichen covered in scatter as well so its wont restrict the lifting top. I don't intend to place too many people on the layout so hopefully I wont over do it. A few cows might be ok though. Ian

• Like 1

That Cyril Freezer comment, something about knowing where it is even without stock present.  Well, you tick that box.  It certainly says "North Country" to me, while the railway infrastructure is identifiably Midland.

It looks like a Pennine town, the river is very effective, and you have used the Scalecenes stuff really well.  The church and farm group is full of atmosphere.

Nice to see a pre-war layout, too.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thank you all for your very kind comments. It appears I now need to find suitable sheep, not cows! May I ask probably a silly question, but did sheep used to travel in cattle wagons, or did they have a specially designed wagon instead? I only ask as I have a rather large cattle dock on the layout and a selection of cattle wagons/kits!

• RMweb Premium

The only railway I know that had sheep wagons was the Highland, so yep cattle vans it is. And in the 30's you would get a lovely selection of pre-grouping types as well as standard ones.

Slaters did a MR type, now presumably that is in the coopercraft black hole!

Andy G

• RMweb Gold

Cheers for that Andy. I have a few old Airfix Cattle Wagon kits that I intend to make (one day), and a few grey Bachmann R-T-R LMS ones which should be ok. I will do some more research to see what I can dig up. I spent last night cleaning all the tools etc off the layout so tonight I might just be able to run a train or two if I can clean the track good enough- ideal photo opportunity me thinks!! I just need to get a kitchen pass from my lovely wife to go and play trains for an hour or two! I have one of those Woodland Scenics track cleaning tools. Makes it an easy job, but still use the old track rubber block for hard to remove stuff.

• RMweb Gold

I have not found any pics of pre-gouping sheep unfortunately, but one has to assume they look similar to the sheep of the 1930's! As sheep are herding animals, I would say grouping is within their nature, especially when the Border Collie in on their case so pics might be hard to come by!

I will look again for pre-grouping wagons just in case you were pulling the "wool" over my eyes!!!!!

Ian

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

The Airfix ones are BR standard ones, which can be bodged to look like GWR ones, The Baccy ones are the old Mainline ones, which have all sorts of compromises. One version of the LMS standard type is done by Parkside, and if you look at the latest post in Ben Alders Far North Lines thread, you'll see how nice they are.

The Slaters ones (if you can find them) can be modified into Medium versions, and I am halfway through making a LNWR large version from one.

Then there are the old Model Wagon Co kits, that turn up every now and again.

Andy G

• RMweb Gold

Cheers Andy - I am a ways off from tackling my loco's and rolling stock to get more realism/prototypical types but I will definitely look out for some of those kits in the future. I have a Parkside LMS brake van to build (1st wagon building venture) so will see how I get on with that before investing lots of time/money.

Edited by ianLMS