Jencaster - 1930's LMS OO Gauge Layout

ianLMS

Most kind Edwardian - I see your layout is coming along very nicely - i wish I had your confidence you build my own track. Your layout thread is definitely the most interesting one on the forum and your building techniques are superb!! Lets hope you are up and running trains in the very near future too!!

That's kind, but confidence is noticeably lacking - the Castle Aching community obliged me to attempt it!

Well, with a thousand supporters behind you, I am sure you will accomplish the task well!

I have a great deal to be thankful for.  I can't really get much done during the week, though, and I confess that I am in a bit of a '30s groove at the moment (having just read Murder on the Orient Express!), so I am looking forward to seeing some LMS expresses of the period rattling round Jencaster!

A topic has started elsewhere asking what makes a good model railway.  Well, I can't begin to offer a definition, but I think I know one when I see one.  There are several on RMWeb, of course, and I've always thought Jencaster was one of them.

• RMweb Gold

I have a great deal to be thankful for.  I can't really get much done during the week, though, and I confess that I am in a bit of a '30s groove at the moment (having just read Murder on the Orient Express!), so I am looking forward to seeing some LMS expresses of the period rattling round Jencaster!

A topic has started elsewhere asking what makes a good model railway.  Well, I can't begin to offer a definition, but I think I know one when I see one.  There are several on RMWeb, of course, and I've always thought Jencaster was one of them.

Thank you Edwardian - very kind words indeed and I am certain Castle Aching will be right up their with the the best the hobby has to offer. When I look at the high quality of models on this forum (yours included) and in the model rail press I am in awe. Some of the detail, atmosphere, scenery and design skill of the modellers is something I aspire to and wish I could attain. Looking at the Cakebox Challenge results has me wide eyed and open mouthed at the level of modelling achievable. 

I had a good clean up last night and Sunday will be track cleaning followed with a good running session. Then on to the next project out of my kit box. One more Bedford truck, some Parkside Dundas wagon kits, telegraph poles, signals, point rodding (if I feel brave enough) and then start on the coaches, detailing and chipping more loco's and adding more detail to the scenery. That should keep me going until the end of 2019!!!

• Like 2

Thank you Edwardian - very kind words indeed and I am certain Castle Aching will be right up their with the the best the hobby has to offer. When I look at the high quality of models on this forum (yours included) and in the model rail press I am in awe. Some of the detail, atmosphere, scenery and design skill of the modellers is something I aspire to and wish I could attain. Looking at the Cakebox Challenge results has me wide eyed and open mouthed at the level of modelling achievable. 

I had a good clean up last night and Sunday will be track cleaning followed with a good running session. Then on to the next project out of my kit box. One more Bedford truck, some Parkside Dundas wagon kits, telegraph poles, signals, point rodding (if I feel brave enough) and then start on the coaches, detailing and chipping more loco's and adding more detail to the scenery. That should keep me going until the end of 2019!!!

Well, I've gone and proper embarrassed you now: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/107713-castle-aching/page-272&do=findComment&comment=2987084!

But credit where credit's due; you have a very fine and original layout.

Keep up the good work (and the pictures)!

• RMweb Gold

Well, I've gone and proper embarrassed you now: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/107713-castle-aching/page-272&do=findComment&comment=2987084!

But credit where credit's due; you have a very fine and original layout.

Keep up the good work (and the pictures)!

Yes you have - completely, but thank you and its great to know someone enjoys my efforts almost as much as I do! 

• Like 1

Just been led here by that embarrassing Edwardian chappie. Can't see any reason why you would need to be though.

It gives the impression of a model of an area that just happens to have a railway in it. A very believable scene.

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Thank you Dave - very kind words indeed. My scenery is working better than my railway at the moment though. Had a good running session yesterday which highlighted several areas where loco's/wagons etc are jolting, derailing, stalling etc, so my focus over the next few days/weeks will be to get it running as smooth as I can.

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all, Had a good running session over the weekend and managed to iron a few issues out. Project for the next few days is re-working the coupling on my coaches. I have been looking into various coupling devices to try and get rid of the standard coupling and have decided on a DIY version. Not proto-typical, but looks OK, very cheap and brings them a little closer. 

I had a quick inventory and realised I had collected around 26 coaches; 6 x old Hornby Railroad, 7 x Airfix, 4 x Bachmann, 3 super-detailed coaches from the Hornby "Going Home Set", 3 x Brand new super detailed Hornby (R480X range) coaches i got for my Birthday and 3 x R467X range which I picked up at Warley, plus a Hornby 12 wheel dining car, an old Royal Mail coach and 3 x 50' parcel vans (Hornby & Bachmann). 

The plan is to sell my old Hornby Railroad coaches and Royal Mail coach, modify the Parcel vans, Airfix and Bachmann coaches and keep the 9 x new Hornby ones relatively pristine until I am happy they can be considered "old" and can be modified (read "butchered") with losing any sleep.  

First up to the chopping block are the Airfix coaches. I devised a semi-permanent coupling using 0.45mm brass wire (blackened with "Brass Black") attached to the old coupling mount under the bogie. I am still experimenting with what works and looks the best and have had a couple of laps of the layout with 2 coached coupled in a similar way to my Hornby Patriot with no issues. I also used some cheap corridor connectors from Ebay which helps with hiding them. 

I couldn't get the buffers much closer otherwise they would lock. I am also trying to give the impression of connected vacuum hoses etc. Last picture shows my latest variant not yet road tested or blackened.  I also plan to have a coupling that can easily be separated between the 2nd and 3rd coaches so I can lift them at once. Still working that idea, but will probably use a loop and hook in the middle of the brass wire.

post-21193-0-53613700-1516008305_thumb.jpg

post-21193-0-13268900-1516008318_thumb.jpg

post-21193-0-48915200-1516008331_thumb.jpg

post-21193-0-83648500-1516008344_thumb.jpg

post-21193-0-32324900-1516008358_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

And a couple of my yet to be modified Bachmann 3F.

Note top right corner - The tunnel/hillside covering the hidden sidings are all hinged so I can gain access. I need to re-align a turnout under this section so removed that part of the hillside. It will be put back once I am happy everything is running smoothly again!

post-21193-0-25281600-1516091834_thumb.jpg

post-21193-0-31667700-1516091848_thumb.jpg

Edited by ianLMS
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Good afternoon all,

Over the last few weeks we have had plumbers, electricians and plasterers carrying out a few repairs to the house, and to ensure I didn't get under their feet, I stayed well away and locked myself up in my railway room! Add to that a few days off work due to bad weather, I have been able to spend several hours "playing trains". After clearing the workbench, tidying the layout up, fitting wall mounted storage boxes for all of my small loco/rolling stock parts and sorting out the mess under the layout I discovered I had a few surplus items (coaches, track etc). These I managed to sell on Ebay, and the proceeds of which funded a couple of car reversing camera's for deployment under the hillside, allowing me to keep an eye on the hidden sidings. The two camera's which included 5" screens cost a total of £36 and I now have view of both ends of the hidden sidings (will be better once I add some lighting). I can now see trains arrive and accurately park them without snagging points etc, make sure the roads are clear and points at set correctly. I will also be able to cover the access area with grass matting and hopefully improve the overall view of the layout.

In addition to the above, I also managed to repair my new(ish) Stanier Mogul and convert to DCC (separate thread), chip my new Hornby Black 5 (Super Detailed version from the Going Home pack) and Bachmann 3F Jinty, convert my old Bachmann split chassis Royal Scot from DC to DCC, add a few details to my Patriot, repair my Hornby 4F which took a tumble damaging the coupling rods and finish off a few mods to some old coaches.

Here are a few pics of the layout showing the camera screens, my new Black 5 with super detailed coaches from the Going Home Pack and a couple of extra's I picked up from Warley. Again, I apologise for the poor quality of the pics. 

post-21193-0-29674200-1520262204_thumb.jpg

post-21193-0-68966800-1520262233_thumb.jpg

post-21193-0-30709700-1520262249_thumb.jpg

post-21193-0-70207200-1520262271_thumb.jpg

post-21193-0-14015200-1520262315_thumb.jpg

post-21193-0-03937200-1520262888_thumb.jpg

post-21193-0-69682400-1520263134_thumb.jpg

post-21193-0-33446100-1520263158_thumb.jpg

post-21193-0-43501000-1520263188_thumb.jpg

post-21193-0-24355500-1520263228_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Here is my beginners attempt at weathering and modifying a couple of old Hornby wagon. Baby steps first so chose a nice easy sample - a coal wagon. Loads are resin which I picked up from a show, and sit on polystyrene spacers dropped inside the wagon. The additional weight should help. Weathered using Humbrol Smoke and Tamiya Soot powders, and Humbrol Black Wash. Wagons are fitted with Slaters 3-link couplings. Wheels were blackened with a Sharpie felt pen but need more work. I havent touched the chassis yet, but assume it would be layers/combinations of rust/brown/blacks. Its not easy finding reference photographs from the 1930's though.

post-21193-0-16195200-1520606603_thumb.jpg

post-21193-0-73293000-1520606620_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

I prefer the version on the left, the one on the right is a bit too "between the planks and not much else" in my view.  Both are much better than pristine.  I think you could attack the solebar and downwards a bit more too.  Good on you, Ian, for getting stuck in.

• RMweb Gold

Cheers Buhar - after looking at a few weathered wagons on another forum a kind member sent me, I have a long ways to go and your comments are very much appreciated and noted. The chassis is in definite need of some attention and I need to weather the planks to look more worn, that just covered in coal dust/soot. Its just the right way of going about it that alludes me, but I will get there, one day!

• RMweb Gold

Cheers Buhar - after looking at a few weathered wagons on another forum a kind member sent me, I have a long ways to go and your comments are very much appreciated and noted. The chassis is in definite need of some attention and I need to weather the planks to look more worn, that just covered in coal dust/soot. Its just the right way of going about it that alludes me, but I will get there, one day!

If it helps, the latest Railway Modeller mag (April issue) includes a "Shows you How" booklet which covers weathering tips and hints--plus of course RM is always a good read!

The April issue of Hornby Magazine has something too on using brushes to weather stock, which I also found informative.

all the best,

Keth

• RMweb Gold

If it helps, the latest Railway Modeller mag (April issue) includes a "Shows you How" booklet which covers weathering tips and hints--plus of course RM is always a good read!

The April issue of Hornby Magazine has something too on using brushes to weather stock, which I also found informative.

all the best,

Keth

Thanks Keith, I have had a look through those and when I get chance I will see what I can follow to end up with a better result. The only photo I found of a LMS Loco Coal wagon in service showed it to be quite clean, but its difficult to get a clear image from the 1930's. I will also hunt out some cheap weathering books to see what I can find. I can see this project keeping me occupied for several years!! Decorating at home has taken over, as well as fitting my new ADS8SX accessory decoder so might be a while before I get chance to develop my skills further.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

On my thread on the scalescenes garage, someone asked for more close up pics - here are a couple, plus some info on the stuff I used to detail the interior:

Items used for interior detail:

Wills SSAM102 Workshop Kit (incl lathe, drill, workbench, pullies, figures) - https://railsofsheff...-set-tools-etc-

Oxford Austin 7 - https://www.oxforddi...-black-76ass005

Scalelink Village Garage 1930's - 1950's Set (jacks, oil pump, tools) - http://www.scalelink...O_.html#aSLC127

Severn Models Workshop equipment set (hammers, saws, spanners, brooms, tool chest, ladders etc) - http://severnmodels....16/Products/D.6

Scale Model Scenery laser cut shelving (several racks) - https://www.scalemod...?v=7516fd43adaa

Others:
Signs from a very old Model Rail magazine insert
3mm LED lights and resistors (heat shrink tupe hides cables in far corner)
Plastruct stryrene H bar for the hoist and some chain I found
Bachmann dustbin
Modelscene bicycle (prefer the etched ones from Scalelink)

post-21193-0-75318000-1523962319_thumb.jpg

post-21193-0-98833400-1523962342_thumb.jpg

• Like 7