Jencaster - 1930's LMS OO Gauge Layout

ianLMS

Guest Jack Benson

What a lovely layout, stations on a large curve are so attractive. Thank you for sharing your achievements, much appreciated.

Stay Safe

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Although I may have been neglecting to update this page, I have however been busy updating part of my layout.

A problem arose than few if any of my kit built loco's could navigate the tight radius curves through the station and into the tunnel to the fiddle yard. One fix was to remove all the flanges off the centre wheels or, extend the layout slightly and put in wider radius curves.

I chose to re-build the end of the layout!

Current status of re-build:

Baseboard extended 24" (now 13' 6" x 8'), new track laid, ballasted and weathered, power feed connected, platforms built using 18mm ply, faced with plasticard stonework and styrene edging. Top of platform coated with Wilko's deep gap filler, Wilko's filler and PVA mix. Ready to rub down and weather accordingly. Gaps in the top coating are formed so I can bed in the station building salvaged from the previous location. New LMS lamps from Gaugemaster and LMS fencing from Scale Model Scenery are in the to-do box ready. This has also created space for more cottages/terraced housing as I am swapping the station building to the other platform (nearest camera)

20210513_125745_resized.jpg

20210513_125751_resized.jpg

20210513_125813_resized.jpg

20210513_125915_resized.jpg

20210513_125806_resized.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Updated pics showing progress so far. Platform tops rubbed down, then added Woodland Scenics fine ballast. Looked a bit too coarse to topped off with some chinchilla sand from Amazon, glued down the same as ballast, then painted with watered down Wilko's Storm Cloud.

Fencing is from Scale model scenery and definitely looks finer than the usual offering from Ratio.

20210524_070656_resized.jpg.8f9086980b94983ab4eb28a79e9425a0.jpg

20210524_070706_resized.jpg

20210524_070720_resized.jpg

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

A few pictures showing current projects on the go. I am now adding additional housing behind the terraced houses and waiting room. I am using the Scalescenes Terraced Houses, the Lock Keepers Cottage and Row of Cottages kits, but facing them with Slaters styrene sheets to blend in with the station and provide relief. Guttering and downpipes are styrene half-round and round rod. Front doors are from York Modelmaking. Rear door are Scalescenes with the middle panels cut out and mounted behind again providing some relief. Window sills and lintels are Evergreen styrene 1.5 x 2.5mm bar.

The windows are the black window frames which are usually used for printing on the transparent plastic sheets, however, I mount the sheet on thin card and cut the frames out, gluing micro-scope glass behind. 

On the lock keepers cottage, the roof tiles use York Modelmaking self adhesive roof tiles. the mounting board is coated in Shellac for when i bed it into the scenery. Still some work to do on the terraced houses as I am only half way there!!

A bit of fettling and working out is needed if not using the standard printed sheets, but is doesn't take too long to fathom out.

20210630_070105_resized.jpg

20210630_070115_resized.jpg

20210630_070132_resized.jpg

20210630_070145_resized.jpg

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Working 2 projects simultaniously right now so plenty going on. One is a hybrid kit/scratch/rtr Jubilee. I had some parts left over from a mixed bag of stuff i got off ebay and one of the items was a tapered boiler and firebox looking very much like a 3A off a Jubilee with  a short firebox. Possibly a K's kit but not sure. It maybe off a Black 5 but it lines up nicely with the drawing i have of a Jubileee. However, its all i had along with cab sides from a JE etch. So using a Jamieson 5XP kit as a template, i scratchbuilt a footplate and cab roof from sheet brass. For the chassis i purchased a cheep DCC ready Hornby rebuilt royal scot. 

The other project is bedding in my scalescenes terraced houses with slaters plasticard facing and the scalescenes lock keepers cottage as the Station masters house. I am currently making the garden walls, and will then plant the veg patch and turf it in due course. Mrs Station Master is a keen gardener and wanted an ornamental pond!!

20210901_070134.jpg

20210901_070206.jpg

20210901_070216.jpg

Edited by ianLMS
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, ianLMS said:

Working 2 projects simultaniously right now so plenty going on. One is a hybrid kit/scratch/rtr Jubilee. I had some parts left over from a mixed bag of stuff i got off ebay and one of the items was a tapered boiler and firebox looking very much like a 3A off a Jubilee with  a short firebox. Possibly a K's kit but not sure. It maybe off a Black 5 but it lines up nicely with the drawing i have of a Jubileee. However, its all i had along with cab sides from a JE etch. So using a Jamieson 5XP kit as a template, i scratchbuilt a footplate and cab roof from sheet brass. For the chassis i purchased a cheep DCC ready Hornby rebuilt royal scot. 

The other project is bedding in my scalescenes terraced houses with slaters plasticard facing and the scalescenes lock keepers cottage as the Station masters house. I am currently making the garden walls, and will then plant the veg patch and turf it in due course. Mrs Station Master is a keen gardener and wanted an ornamental pond!!

20210901_070134.jpg

20210901_070206.jpg

20210901_070216.jpg

I always find it pleasing when someone works on a "fixer-upper" (Jubilee) in much the same way that I would do. I look forward to seeing the finished loco.

As for gardening, I leave that to my wife as I have "brown fingers", being the opposite of green fingers. My hands are the kiss of death to horticulture. I'll stick to soldering!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Some pics of the new station part of the layout i have been working on since finishing a couple more loco kits (Jamieson Black 5 on Hornby DCC chassis and a SEF Royal Scot).

Platforms are made from 18mm ply coated with chinchilla sand, rubbed down evenly then painted with emulsion test pots from Wilko's.

Footbridge is a laser cut kit from L-Cut Creative.

LMS Fencing is from Scale model scenery.

Figures are from various sources and yet to be placed.

Barrows, seats and trolleys are Scalelink and another source i cant rememver.  Luggage is from Slaters, Merit and some 3d printed ones off Ebay.

Lamps are Gaugemaster (formerly DCC concepts design)

Terraced houses are Scalescenes modified with Slaters plasticard exterior instead of the paper.

20220524_090421.jpg

20220524_090405.jpg

20220524_090353.jpg

20220524_090336.jpg

20220524_090313.jpg

20220524_090305.jpg

20220524_090248.jpg

Edited by ianLMS
Detail addex
  • Like 12
  • Round of applause 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Latest addition to the layout.  I felt the car park was lacking something so built this nice little Anbrico kit of a Leyland TS8. With help from folks on the Road Vehicle thread, we decided that Ribble would be a suitable operator for my area in 1939.

Glass is microscope slides. Very fiddly and time consuming and some dont fit perfectly, but i think they look better than the plastic strip behind the frames.

First time i had airbrushed using Humbrol acrylics and so far, i am impressed with how it went. Humbrol 20 for the main parts and 41 for the "cream", although it looks white to me!

20220618_183915.jpg

20220618_183901.jpg

20220618_183842.jpg

20220618_183819.jpg

20220618_183807.jpg

Edited by ianLMS
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
On 18/06/2022 at 20:21, ianLMS said:

Glass is microscope slides. Very fiddly and time consuming and some dont fit perfectly, but i think they look better than the plastic strip behind the frames.

They look very good indeed.  Truly flat and flush fitting windows make a big difference.

• Thanks 1