pre grouping lamp socket question

Help,Im building the Roxey models MSWJR 2-6-0 mogul no 14,I need some lamp sockets for it as there is none supplied in the kit,I have looked at  LARRIE GRIFFENS web site and he does some pre grouping GWR,and some HR,and some MR and some LNWR ones,can someone please tell me what ones would be the closest ones to the mswjr loco types,I can only find photos of GWR ones,and they look pretty close ish, second opinion would be most welcome, Thankyou Garry

Did they have sockets? The picture I've seen of No16 (admittedly not all that clear) seems to suggest she had irons, at least at the front end. I thought the L&NWR was pretty unusual in sticking with sockets beyond the very early days, when they were carried over from (horse and) carriage lighting arrangments.

According to Mr Barnsley in the second of the a Wild Swan trilogy, all MSWJR locos had sockets to take the lamps, and he includes a very good isometric to show what it looked like, before the GWR replaced them after grouping. I suspect that the LNWR socket is the nearest in similarity, finding good views of the pre-1903 GWR sockets proved beyond my collection.

Thankyou for the replies, I have been told on the gauge o guild forum that the nearest ones will be LNWR ,so that is what i shall use,and yes it is hard finding good pictures. Thankyou gents much appreciated Garry

There is a diagram of the GWR sockets in "Great Western Way" by the HMRS (1978 edition) - I can't remember whether the diagram is also in the latest edition of that volume (new edition on bedside table, old one down here near computer).

Basically, the external size of the socket is 3"x3" to accept a tapered 2" spigot at the bottom of the lamp.

Hope that helps.

Ian

Archived