Where do I get LNER green spray paint in USA?

Could anyone stateside tell me what color in the shops I should be looking for if I want to spray an A3 LNER "Apple" green. Is its official title grass green? In which case is that the name I look for on the can? Is there a U.S. rail colour which matches? I live in Pennsylvania so does any one know the closest colour match at Michaels ?

a lot of questions, but I would really appreciate the help as paint never quite is the same colour as shown on the can.

Many thanks

Richard

• RMweb Gold

Hi Richard

Does this help? http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/94209-emily-laid-bare-a-stirling-effort/?p=1790343

Mike Trice converted a Bachmann Emily into a version of a Sterling Single a little while ago and used Vallejo paints. I live on the west coast of Canada and I've found that they are quite easy to come by in model railway stores and sometimes hobby stores. He used 70.968 Flat Green for the mid (apple style) green. It's certainly worth looking through the thread if you have time as Mike goes through how he came by that shade.

cheers

Jason

• RMweb Premium

Hi Richard.

This is a tough one. The color is called apple green! There were in fact two shades, locomotives out shopped from Darlington carried the old NER bright green and the powers that were at LNER headquarters turned a blind eye! Try googling LNER Darlington green!

As for matching either shade off the shelf in a spray can I can't help. I tried mixing some acrylics to touch up hand rails on a couple of locos and found it very hard. The human eye is more sensitive to different shades of green more than other colors!

If you have an air brush there are some UK retailers that ship paints.

Regards shaun

Could anyone stateside tell me what color in the shops I should be looking for if I want to spray an A3 LNER "Apple" green. Is its official title grass green? In which case is that the name I look for on the can? Is there a U.S. rail colour which matches? I live in Pennsylvania so does any one know the closest colour match at Michaels ?

a lot of questions, but I would really appreciate the help as paint never quite is the same colour as shown on the can.

Many thanks

Richard

Hi Richard,

Sorry, I can't help you with spray paint but I do have a few pots of Humbrol RC408 Apple Green acrylic in stock at $3.50 per pot and will ship to USA.

http://www.modelrailwayimports.com/products.php?q=humbrol&s=5

Unfortunately once this is gone, there will be no ,ore as our UK supplier will not ship any more to us quoting H&S regs.

Please send me a PM if you are interested.

Steve

Model Railway Imports

Canada

The Humbrol Apple Green is awful shade, so you are aware.

A fair match is if available in America in a Aerosol is  Liquitex Chromium Oxide Green the shade is slightly darker than used by Hornby on this Locos. As colours varied a lot the shade wouldnt be much of a problem.

http://www.liquitex.com

They sell this in the local craft store, so I will be able to get this. Thank you. It will allow me to get the flat look that I am hoping to get to the paint surface.

Richard

• RMweb Premium

The Humbrol Apple Green is awful shade, so you are aware.

A fair match is if available in America in a Aerosol is  Liquitex Chromium Oxide Green the shade is slightly darker than used by Hornby on this Locos. As colours varied a lot the shade wouldnt be much of a problem.

http://www.liquitex.com

Often wondered about the Hornby shade. I have a Bachmann V2 "The Green Howard" which is supposed to be Darlington green but is even Darker than the Hornby. I was under the impression Darlington NER Green was lighter. The Bachmann lighter shade seems to hit the mark wouldn't you agree?

Regards Shaun.

Bachmann Apple Green  Peppercorn Tudor Minstrel A2 versions is similar to Darlington Green. Their Apple Green, Green Arrow V2 is similar to Doncaster Green .

Hornby shades vary between Locos as well. The Hornby NRM Scotsman version is nearest to Precision Paints Doncaster Apple Green.

• 3 weeks later...

i have sprayed the A4 and A3 in the chrom oxide green .

it has come out as rather florescent, would lining tone this down? i am not sure it would come down enough to match the Hornby NRM tender it is paired with.

Does it tone down with varnish or Krystal clear?

Advice gratefully received.

Richard

this is what i mean with the greens. Any opinions if they work or not appreciated

First is Hornby tender compared to the loco it will run with, do they look close enough?

post-23520-0-52506400-1450235488_thumb.jpg

then both painted the same chrome green. does it work as a variation. It has colombo in the front as a colour comparison.

post-23520-0-52603700-1450235505_thumb.jpg

Richard

Also worth looking at, Badger does a range of acrylic paints for airbrushing called MODELflex, I brush paint with them though.  Unfortunately they are not often available in stores but can be mail ordered.  There are a variety of light/apple greens in the Railroad range.

They are called Sublime Green and Green-Go.

Have you tried Model Master Zinc Chromate Enamel (1734)?  In a bottle not a spray though.

I will look these up and the badger option, but I was really after a spray or air brush paint as I want the non brush stroke finish and I have little kids so have limited time to prep the air brush, preferably a spray as that has significantly less prep and the clean up is much reduced

Thank you for all the advice.

Richard

I will look these up and the badger option, but I was really after a spray or air brush paint as I want the non brush stroke finish and I have little kids so have limited time to prep the air brush, preferably a spray as that has significantly less prep and the clean up is much reduced

Thank you for all the advice.

Richard

The Vallejo paint Jason referred to earlier: "Flat Green" is an acrylic that airbrushed very nicely when thinned with Vallejo Thinner and is easy to clean up being water based. Vallejo paints are also pretty good when brush painting providing they are built up as thin coats. A benefit of mixing your own and airbrushing is that you can adjust the shade to match exactly, something that is difficult with spray cans.

If you do go down the path of mixing your own I strongly recommend you learn by my mistake and read: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/104851-the-coronation-the-silhouette-mr-jenkinson-and-me/?p=2083843

Go luck.

Archived