Barmouth bridge OO

brgmini

You can also have Class 31s, class 97s, blue parcels DMU with wagons, even a deltic

Talking of 97's I've got a old Hornby 37 crying out for a coat of yellow . Blue parcels 128 with a couple of ballest wagons is definitely on the to do list as well. Cheers Jim

I think the answer is to have sessions of both. If you wish to go back to the steam era then this book is worth a look. (I am not saying this copy as I am not sure what the current good price is.) I have it but have not looked at it too much as it is too late for me, which to be honest so is a rebuilt Barmouth Bridge. You may want to run to a timetable, well at least the sequence of the timetable which if you are modelling more recently may not be that interesting as it would be, I think, watching Sprinters go back and forth. In the end it is what will give you the most pleasure.

Thanks for the link Chris . I think I had that book a while ago , a couple of house moves later and heaven knows where it is! At the moment I get a lot of inspiration from the excellent plum loco website pictures. Also there is a really good Barmouth flicker page .I've been thinking of running to a kind of rota . It will make it easier switching the points each end :) I get what you mean about watching sprinters, hence the new interest in a bit of steam . Edited by brgmini
  • Like 1

Depending on how far back you want to go, but typical locos from the late 1940s until the mid 1950s would have been mainly ex-GW Dukedogs, Collett Goods, 45xx tanks, 57xx Pannier Tanks, 14XX tanks on the Dolgellau auto-train, Moguls and Manors on the larger express and through trains, with coaching stock being largely ex-GWR coaches until the mid 50s when the odd Mk1 would begin to appear, alongside ex-LMS stock.  Up until about 1954-5 some Dean Goods would work occasionally freight and the occasional passenger but the later Collett goods largely replaced them and the ex Cambrian 0-6-0s from the 1940s on.  Most of these are available RTR mainly from Bachmann although the Manor and Mogul are currently not in production and are split-chassis so are not DCC ready.

From about 1957 onwards LMS Ivatt 2 tender and tank locos became more common along with Standard Class 4 types.  These worked alongside the ex-GW types until the early 60s when, until about 1966-7 Standard 4s became the predominant motive power.  From about 1965 onwards DMUs of Class 101 and 108 and Class 24 diesels became more commonplace.  From 1968 on the line was almost exclusively worked by Class 101, 103 and 108 dmus with a daily pick-up freight conveying gunpowder from Penrhyndeudraeth worked by a Class 24, and summer loco hauled workings hauled by pairs of 24s being the only real difference.  From the mid 1970s when the Class 24s were scrapped Class 25s took their place.

In the 1980s a greater variety of DMU types began to appear with Tyseley High Density commuter units of Classes 116 and 117 turning up on through services from the Midlands, and the occasional Class 120 also turning up.  As the 25s were withdrawn Class 37s became more synonymous with the route, but not before the occasional Class 40 had tested the strength of Barmouth Bridge.  During the "Toredo Worm" loco ban a Parcels DMU was used to maintain the Gunpowder traffic but eventually the works closed and all freight disappeared sometime in the mid-late 80s.  Eventually the bridge was renovated and loco haulage resumed on Saturday holiday services and specials whilst the line was one of the first to get "Sprinters" in a big way with the original two tone blue Class 150/1s taking over.  The last through trains from London to Barmouth and beyond used NSE liveried "Master Cobbler" rakes, although in later years Class 31s and Regional Railways liveried stock was used on some Birmingham to Pwllheli services.  Later, Class 156 units worked alongside Class 150s, and "Centro" liveried Class 150s were regularly seen on the route.  Immediately after privatisation, Central Trains ran just about every DMU type in their fleet on the line, including 153s and 170s.

By the time Arriva took over the Welsh franchise the route had become almost exclusively Class 158 worked and today only ERTMS equipped 158s and Class 97 diesels are allowed on the line.

Steam specials ran along the line until ERTMS came on the scene and a Manor, Standard 4 2-6-0 and even a Black 5 (with a half full tender to comply with the Barmouth Bridge weight restriction!) all worked daily scheduled steam runs over the route.  Diesel visitors have included a Deltic, Class 40, two Class 67s (no idea how they didn't reduce the bridge to matchwood), a Class 33 on route learning and of course the Yellow Peril Class 97s.

There are probably other one-offs, for example I do know early Derby Lightweights worked excursion traffic over the bridge in the past and the London branch of the newly formed Ffestiniog Railway Society chartered ex-GWR railcars for trips up to Porthmadog.  I was told by an ex-signalman at Dolgellau that during the war a GWR 2-8-0 freight loco worked a trop train through Dolgellau but I think it went via Barmouth Junction down to Tonfanau, as I'm not sure the route over the bridge could cope with the old GWR "Blue Spot" weight restriction, and I do know an HST did make it to Aberystwyth to work a number of specials, but I'm not sure if any went over the Bridge.

So, quite a variety to pick and choose from really.

• Like 1

Just to prove a Deltic did come through Fairbourne pre-ERTMS!

Cheers wombato . I seem to remember seeing a picture of the deltic some time ago . As ever , I've looked at so many photos of the area I can't remember where I saw it :| Your a great source of info as normal , again thanks very much .

• Like 1

Good evening everybody. A little bit more scenery on the Morfa end of the layout.

post-21151-0-80317000-1466019617_thumb.jpg

Simple bit of sand on cardboard, bit of old ballest and a cocktail stick and thread fence . All really simple, but really quick and effective way to get the atmosphere I've been after

post-21151-0-16330300-1466019795_thumb.jpg

couple of shots of the Pwllheli bound 108

post-21151-0-11468200-1466019950_thumb.jpg

More exciting news !!! A new arrival on the layout

post-21151-0-03305200-1466020040_thumb.jpg

A bargain Heljan 128 dpu . Really pleased with this . It runs sooooo smoothly. :)

post-21151-0-64783000-1466020177_thumb.jpg

post-21151-0-50783800-1466020228_thumb.jpg

Not sure what to do with the scenic break at this end of the layout.

Im considering a radio mast and hut , possibly on a slightly raised area to disguise the big hole in the sky.

Thanks for dropping by . As normal , thanks for any comments and advice . Cheers ,Kev

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone . Had my first go at a varnish top coat for the estuary today. SWMBO thinks ive got clear varnish for the bannister !!!

post-21151-0-26685600-1467487399_thumb.jpgpost-21151-0-31734100-1467487453_thumb.jpgpost-21151-0-40339500-1467487426_thumb.jpgpost-21151-0-29886300-1467487488_thumb.jpg

overall im very pleased with the result. Ok , its only had 4 hours drying time so far . There are some patches where it seems to on have soaked into the toilet paper base and has gone matt.

post-21151-0-47782700-1467487923_thumb.jpg

When leaving the attic the other day, I couldnt help thinking how tidy it all looked (the carpet tiles are new too)

Hope your enjoying this as much as me , Kev

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone . Had my first go at a varnish top coat for the estuary today. SWMBO thinks ive got clear varnish for the bannister !!!

attachicon.gif20160702_201333.jpgattachicon.gif20160702_195519.jpgattachicon.gif20160702_201250.jpgattachicon.gif20160702_195236.jpg

overall im very pleased with the result. Ok , its only had 4 hours drying time so far . There are some patches where it seems to on have soaked into the toilet paper base and has gone matt.

attachicon.gif20160626_180837.jpg

When leaving the attic the other day, I couldnt help thinking how tidy it all looked (the carpet tiles are new too)

Hope your enjoying this as much as me , Kev

I think that looks really impressive.  The sea that is, a clear carpeted floor comes a good second though.

Great work on the beach. Looks superb. Just need some sun bathers and deck chairs.

More like people sheltering from the rain under bridges and umbrellas.

• Like 1

Morning all .Had a go with abit of hanging basket liner this morning. Im not completely convinced.....

post-21151-0-91688300-1467531053_thumb.jpg

needs a bit more work and a dab of color I think . Any tips ?

second coat of varnish has been applied.

Thanks for all your likes and comments. Really helps :)

Cheers , Kev

• Like 4

Fantastic work, you've got yourself a real gem of a layout, I bet you get a real tingle of excitement every time you see it.

Simon

Thanks Simon .Must admit , I'm really pleased with how the layouts looking . Still loads to do , but making a good start on the estuary has really brought it to life :) on a side note Simon how's your "ace" going ? I'm loving mine , looking forward to the usb update (need to email question about this) .....(note to ones self)

Thanks for all the likes and comments everyone , cheers , Kev

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all . Sorry about the lack of updates of late , seem to be letting life get in the way a bit :( oh well , it happens . I've been driving through Barmouth this week on my way to work up the coast in Harlech. I was hoping for either a nice bright morning or evening to get some pics . But no ! The weather so far has been rubbish .

Thanks for all the comments, I do find them helpful and an inspiration when I no I should be doing some work on the layout :)

Cheers , Kev

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all . Not much progress on the layout lately. I seem to have hit anoter brick wall (and it's been too hot) However , I have managed a 'site visit' So now I have a lot of photos of the tunnel mouth and the old toll house .

post-21151-0-12022500-1472120034_thumb.jpg

Apologies for the quality of the photo off laptop :/

Im now wondering if I should make the tunnel mouth and retaining wall out of Wills sheets or have a go at scribing some plasticard . Any suggestions on a supplier for the rail/fence on the top of the wall ?? Thanks for dropping by. All the best, Kev

Edited by brgmini
  • Like 3