Barmouth bridge OO

brgmini

Any suggestions on a supplier for the rail/fence on the top of the wall ?? Thanks for dropping by. All the best, Kev

Pretty sure the railings have only been added in the last few years, so probably not needed for you period(s).

• Like 1

Pretty sure the railings have only been added in the last few years, so probably not needed for you period(s).

Thanks for that JZ . At the moment I'm kind of modelling a mix of old ,new and whatever looks best to the eye ;) .cheers

• RMweb Gold

Hi all . Not much progress on the layout lately. I seem to have hit anoter brick wall (and it's been too hot) However , I have managed a 'site visit' So now I have a lot of photos of the tunnel mouth and the old toll house .

attachicon.gif1472119983758.jpg

Apologies for the quality of the photo off laptop :/

Im now wondering if I should make the tunnel mouth and retaining wall out of Wills sheets or have a go at scribing some plasticard . Any suggestions on a supplier for the rail/fence on the top of the wall ?? Thanks for dropping by. All the best, Kev

Hi,

In terms of what you should use for the tunnel portal it comes down to what is available and what is suitable.  The stonework is quite flat so using DAS and scribbing it would probably not give the right effect.  Slaters sheets which are easy to work have nothing that is suitable.  SE Finecast may but if they did I think they have stopped selling it.  So that leaves the Wills sheets which appear to have the right stonework but are quite thick, a case of cutting larger than you think you need and filing back.  Scribbing may also be difficult, depending on your experience.  The stones on the mouth will need scribing or probably scribbing, cutting out and then sticking back on again.

Sorry, no answer but hopefully things to consider.

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi all. Just a quick update. The layout is still work in progress , still working on it . Havnt had a lot of time lately , but will be doing a bit when I can . Thanks for looking in .

Glad to hear you are getting some time on the layout.  Life annoyingly gets in the way.  We did actually walk across Barmouth bridge this summer.  You need to model the enormous jellyfish in the sea!  :jester:

Glad to hear you are getting some time on the layout.  Life annoyingly gets in the way.  We did actually walk across Barmouth bridge this summer.  You need to model the enormous jellyfish in the sea!  :jester:

And the dolphins I saw a couple of years back.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Good morning all . After a site visit , Ive mannaged to do a bit of work on the layout over the last couple of weeks . Ive started a extension , this will form the 'other bridge' and part of the harbor. I will post some pictures when I get chance. Thanks for looking in . 

• Like 2

Some update pictures.

post-21151-0-70732700-1518984827_thumb.jpg

post-21151-0-68271400-1518984890_thumb.jpg

post-21151-0-37106200-1518984979_thumb.jpg

post-21151-0-96562800-1518985071_thumb.jpg

The Sailors institute . Pleased with this as its the first bit of scratch building I've done in many years.  Making the most of Will's building sheets . The sea is the tried and tested toilet paper and pva method .  Still loads to do . Thanks for looking in , Kev

• Like 10

• 5 months later...

Just found this thread, and have enjoyed reading through it. What I have seen so far is really inspiring.

I am considering building my own layout based on the Cambrian Coast and have been undertaking research into the line for some years, along with trips to Barmouth when I can get there. This used to be easy when we lived near Wrexham, but it is much further from the Scarborough area....

A while ago, you asked about trains that operated on the line. My research has covered the 1970s into early 1980s. Around that time, as has been said in response to your query, the staple diet of passenger trains was Chester-based DMUs of Classes 101 (2 and 3 car), 103 and 108. All were initially plain blue, but from around 1977 the "blue stripe" refurbished livery started to appear on the 2 car 101s. Then from around 1980, the 101s and 108s started to get the Blue/Grey livery. Chester also had a fleet of Cross Country 3 car DMUs, that would occasionally venture along the coast. These were Blue/Grey and were typically Class 119s until 1977 when the Class 120s took over. 

In addition to the normal DMU diet, there were through workings from the West Midlands utilising Tyseley based Class 101 3-car sets and Class 116 3-car sets. Again these were plain blue, with "blue stripe" livery appearing from 1976 and Blue/Grey from around 1980. Typically two 3 car sets would work through from New Street to Shrewsbury and then a Chester 2 car set would be added there. In amongst the Tyseley 3 car 101 fleet there were odd vehicles of Class 100 and 105...

Loco haulage occurred on Summer weekend passenger workings and on the booked freight trains. Class 24s were usual until the last working on the Cambrian in January 1978, by which time 25s were more normal. 

Prior to the bridge closing to loco hauled trains in April 1980, there were BR MerryMaker excursions or railtours which brought 25s, a 37 and even 40s to the line. 

Elsewhere on rmweb I recall reading about the use of Class 128 parcels car as a means of retrieving trapped freight wagons from north of the bridge - obviously BR were caught unawares by the sudden loco ban.

From 1986 onwards, the BR DMU fleet was in a state of upheaval as Sprinter units displaced earlier types. I have seen pictures of 150/1s in the original light blue livery on the Cambrian but from 1987 or so, Tyseley had a small fleet of ex Lincoln Class 114 sets that visited the Cambrian, too. 

Keep up the good work and I look forward to the next instalment.

• 9 months later...