Barmouth bridge OO

brgmini

Massive progress !!!

post-21151-0-87822100-1449783165_thumb.jpg

Managed to get the bridge set up in its loft home . I'm really pleased with the way its looking .

post-21151-0-45530700-1449783749_thumb.jpg

I've been having a go at painting the stone section . I've found that using blackboard paint (just a little) and giving it a rub with a rag/kitchen roll seems to work very well .

post-21151-0-23281800-1449783964_thumb.jpg  

Thanks for looking in and for all your help and suggestions. Cheers , Kev 

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Not sure what to say to help as it looks really good.  Green slime to be added later?

Is your loft insulated?  By that I mean with Celotex or similar between the roof joists under the tiles as if not you will have severe problems with thermal expansion of the rails.  (Sorry if this is obvious.)

• Like 1

Not sure what to say to help as it looks really good. Green slime to be added later?

Is your loft insulated? By that I mean with Celotex or similar between the roof joists under the tiles as if not you will have severe problems with thermal expansion of the rails. (Sorry if this is obvious.)

Yes I'll get green slime on it next I think . Like the 'as new' look at the min

No , the loft roof isn't insulated , but the previous layout didn't suffer . I'll keep an eye on this , thanks

Looks stunning Kev :)

Thanks Pj . I'm really pleased with it too .

Is there room for the footpath on the bridge?

Looking great.

Pete

The footpath will be added in a separate section , attached to the side . I've been looking for a realistic and cost effective fence for up the 2 sides and in between the rails and footpath . So far the best I've found online is made by Ratio . I think it's 425 . Edited by brgmini
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes I'll get green slime on it next I think . Like the 'as new' look at the min

No , the loft roof isn't insulated , but the previous layout didn't suffer . I'll keep an eye on this , thanks

Thanks Pj . I'm really pleased with it too .

The footpath will be added in a separate section , attached to the side . I've been looking for a realistic and cost effective fence for up the 2 sides and in between the rails and footpath . So far the best I've found online is made by Ratio . I think it's 425 .

Hi,

Do not be under pressure to put green slime on it, painted that is.  It does look very nice.  (Dart Castings do a man washing the windows so you could keep it clean and have him with his bucket next to it! :jester: )

Now that's thinking big! I'm building a Cambrian trestle bridge, but only 18" long!

I started off thinking of that . The trestle bridge Neil made on Morfa inspired me , simple construction with great results . Best of luck with your project .

Great pics . Don't think I've seen the second one before . Thanks for posting them .

With the track across the bridge put roughly in place I thought I'd have a quick go at running something . Unfortunately my dynamis controller is so c#$p it only managed a couple of minutes before loosing signal . I know this is a fault with the Bachmann system but has anybody found a way of curing it ? At the moment I think I should have stayed with my original Hornby select !!

• RMweb Gold

I was asking my dad about my relative who opened the bridge and couldnt close it, it was back in GWR days, sometime in the 1920s-1930s, he started as a wheeltapper in barmouth and progressed to the p way side of things

also the boat yard accessed below the bridge used to belong to my great great uncle apparently

I may try and have a ride over the bridge on monday while im in the area

• Like 3

I was asking my dad about my relative who opened the bridge and couldnt close it, it was back in GWR days, sometime in the 1920s-1930s, he started as a wheeltapper in barmouth and progressed to the p way side of things

also the boat yard accessed below the bridge used to belong to my great great uncle apparently

I may try and have a ride over the bridge on monday while im in the area

That's a great story about the bridge Jim . I wonder when the swing section was last opened ?

• RMweb Gold

i vaguely remember going down there with my dad back in the early 80s with my dad as there was a rumour that the bridge was going to be opened on a particular day but it never happened, that would have been sometime between 1980 and 1982 when my dad was the village bobby in llwyngwril (and i was only about 6 years old)

a pic for you from back in 1987? when the bridge reopened to loco hauled trains

barmouthbridge.jpg

barmouthlifeboat.jpg

barmouthdmu.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

nice vid on youtube, barmouth bridge 53 mins in

https://youtu.be/OoNit6dtzbs

before RETB was fitted and some interesting operational bits nad bobs round barmouth, pass a signal at danger by authority of a green flag from the box and getting told to pass the section at danger in welsh!

Edited by big jim
  • Like 3

I must admit , I haven't really given the track much thought . I've just used some lengths of Hornby I've had for years . Wondering now if I should alter this or not . Hand made track always seems to be such hard work (not that I've ever tried) obviously there is quite a way to go with the layout (water and scenery)and to be honest , I'm just happy at the moment to have it up and running :) Thanks again for looking in . Kev

• Like 1