Barmouth bridge OO

brgmini

This weekend I've had a go at a control panel for the layout.

despite only having one point motor and no switches as yet ,I'm quite pleased with stage 1. The space in the middle will be cut out for the new controller....... still saving . Cheers , Kev

post-21151-0-79842400-1462737523_thumb.jpg

Edited by brgmini
  • Like 5

For some reason beyond me the picture has decided to upload itself the wrong way up . Hope you get the idea .....

Don't worry mate. Happened to me before on PDW. Not sure why it happens. Get the idea though.

Cheers

Marcus

• RMweb Premium

I can't speak for brgmini but, I use my iPad for taking pictures of PDW and sometimes get this problem.

It's due to the fact that all Apple devices have a correct way up of taking pictures. Even though you can hold at any orientation and it'll take a picture it the itself auto orientates it for when you view it on the device. Unfortunately when you then upload it to a computer or server for viewing like Rmweb. That auto orientation the apple device applies is no longer there so the photo then appears at the orientation relative to the 'correct' orientation of the device it was taken on.

Just found this thread, and thoroughly enjoyed catching up on the progress you have made. I remember visiting the area a few times myself when I was younger.

Mike

Glad your enjoying it Mike , welcome along.

It's due to the fact that all Apple devices have a correct way up of taking pictures. Even though you can hold at any orientation and it'll take a picture it the itself auto orientates it for when you view it on the device. Unfortunately when you then upload it to a computer or server for viewing like Rmweb. That auto orientation the apple device applies is no longer there so the photo then appears at the orientation relative to the 'correct' orientation of the device it was taken on.

Samsung gallery tab and a Sony Xperia z5 phone ..... Usually not a problem. Oh well :) Edited by brgmini

• 2 weeks later...

Afternoon everbody . Ive been doing a bit of wiring today

post-21151-0-09662200-1463849479_thumb.jpg

happy with how tidy this has turned out. Its my first attempt at proper layout wiring, and it all seems to work as it should , bonus! Also I'd like to welcome along Hector my dog to the forum. Hes not usually in the pics as he can't manage the loft ladder......

Edited by brgmini
  • Like 7

Just caught up with this thread. I've often thought on my occasional visits to Barmouth that it would make a great subject for a diorama or layout. Congratulations on pressing on and making it a reality. The bridge looks great and with a few boats (and the occasional dolphin!) dotted about the scene will come to life in my mind at least.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

post-21151-0-86498100-1465062472_thumb.jpg

finally !! The new controller in its panel location. Had about a hour of running so far and I must say im very impressed. Anyone looking for a new dcc controller at a reasonable price , this has to be up there. Thanks as always for looking in , Kev

• Like 6

Enjoyed an evening of trouble free running tonight :)

post-21151-0-17302300-1465069963_thumb.jpg

Double headed class 25 , must be a rail tour

post-21151-0-46118600-1465070065_thumb.jpg

Retuning towards Morfa

post-21151-0-48057300-1465070163_thumb.jpg

dusted this off and gave it a run out on a mixed goods . Not my usual cup of tea but I think it looks quite nice . Would a 'Jinty' have run over the bridge in its day ? Liked it so much I might get some more , for steam specials . Thanks for checking in , thanks for any comments and advice is always most welcome. Kev

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

I tend not to look at things Cambrian too much after 1922, but I have not seen any pictures of a Jinty in Cambrian territory.  Dean Goods, Dukedogs, Manors, Granges(?), Prairies, BR Standard tanks, 4-6-2s I think, and then onto the diesels.  I can have a good hunt if you wish.

LMS types didn't reach Barmouth until the 1950s when Ivatt 2's, 4's and 2 tanks started making an appearence among the more usual GWR types such as the Small Praries, Panniers, Manors, Moguls and Collett Goods.  Later, Standard 3 and 4 tanks, Standard 4 2-6-0 and 4-6-0 types started appearing from the late 1950s.  Diesels started appearing in the mid-1960s.

The LMS did have a connection with the Cambrian route at Afon Wen where a line to Caernarfon connected to the North Wales line, and in the 1950s British Railways introduced the "North Wales Land Cruise" circular sightseeing tour which utilised a mix of ex-GWR and LMS types on the Cambrian section.  It also allowed through LMS coaches to reach Porthmadog from the West Coast route in the days of the LMS although from the photographic evidence I've seen they were worked through attached to regular GWR trains from Afon Wen.

Ultimately though it's your railway and given some LMS types did make it onto the line in the 1950s why shouldn't a Jinty?

• Like 4

Enjoyed an evening of trouble free running tonight :)

attachicon.gif20160604_195730.jpg

Double headed class 25 , must be a rail tour

attachicon.gif20160604_192623.jpg

Retuning towards Morfa

attachicon.gif20160604_192924.jpg

dusted this off and gave it a run out on a mixed goods . Not my usual cup of tea but I think it looks quite nice . Would a 'Jinty' have run over the bridge in its day ? Liked it so much I might get some more , for steam specials . Thanks for checking in , thanks for any comments and advice is always most welcome. Kev

Wow the picture of the 25's with MK1 stock is fantastic, you've got a real gem of a layout here.

• Like 2

Evening all . Thanks for all your comments. I'm kind of stuck between the "my layout, my rules" way I've always thought , or running locos that are strictly ment to be on the stretch of line (regardless of era) . This however doesn't mean I'm going to run a hst or anything like that ! I probably need to do a bit more research into what actually did / does run up the coast . At the moment the layout stock is : class 25 class 37 , 108 dmu ,Derby lightweight, 150 sprinter and a class 158 . Pick the bones out of that ;) happy modelling folkes:)

• RMweb Gold

Evening all . Thanks for all your comments. I'm kind of stuck between the "my layout, my rules" way I've always thought , or running locos that are strictly ment to be on the stretch of line (regardless of era) . This however doesn't mean I'm going to run a hst or anything like that ! I probably need to do a bit more research into what actually did / does run up the coast . At the moment the layout stock is : class 25 class 37 , 108 dmu ,Derby lightweight, 150 sprinter and a class 158 . Pick the bones out of that ;) happy modelling folkes:)

I think the answer is to have sessions of both.  If you wish to go back to the steam era then this book is worth a look.  (I am not saying this copy as I am not sure what the current good price is.)  I have it but have not looked at it too much as it is too late for me, which to be honest so is a rebuilt Barmouth Bridge.  You may want to run to a timetable, well at least the sequence of the timetable which if you are modelling more recently may not be that interesting as it would be, I think, watching Sprinters go back and forth.  In the end it is what will give you the most pleasure.