Farish incoming - November 2015

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

I have a couple of blue/grey TSO on their way from Hattons however popping into my local pusher this morning I decided although I don't need them straight away to pick up a pair of Intercity TSO and a BCK whilst they still had them as despite them not being on the shelf yet they have already nearly sold out!

If you see them, buy immediately!

Am I correct in thinking there was no such thing as a Intercity Mk1 with a Scotrail blue stripe other than the odd BG van?

Evening,

Looks like my order for Mk1 TSOs is soon to be on its way from ROS.

If I'd known earlier I would have had to mention the lady-friend's xmas present is from the pound-shop this year, and she might have to forget that designer hand-bag ;)

Cheers,

Paul

Makes it look like the Class 47 is a little too high, and the Mark 2 is little short

Looks like the solution would be raise the Mark 2, possibly inserting a thin washer

This was easier on the older coaches, not sure about these latest Mark 2 coaches

I've just popped a post up on the Mk2 thread on the same subject. I'd tend to agree that the 2a's are a little bit too low. Still deciding on how best to rectify the issue to an acceptable extent as I will be wanting to mix mine with Mk1's as well as having them look ok next to a loco!

That is the same problem that I have got, I want to mix Mk3 and Mk1 as well as Mk2a and Mk1.

It looks like I will have to work on lowering the Mk1's to match the Mk2a and Mk3's.

Swapping the wheelsets from the Mk1 (7.12mm) to the mark 2a (6.22mm) should lift the Mk2a by 0.45mm or almost 6 inches at full size and correspondingly lower the Mk1 by the same amount.. but will the commonwealth bogies look right with the smaller wheels?? when I swapped B4 bogies from a Mk1 to a Mk2a it didn't seem to make much difference..

Cheers

Mark

• RMweb Premium

It looks like the ride height on the Mk 2s is a little low (the gap between the bogie and the body is perhaps a fraction on the small side), but then the buffers line up between the various coaches. Very odd!

I too have now found other photos of Mark 1 InterCity or NSE livery coaches operating on ScotRail services in the early 1990s

I am surprised at the Mark 1 NSE coach

Does anyone know the numbers?

Looks like I will need to acquire another Platform 5 book to cover this period (as I have 1988 and 1993)

• RMweb Premium

I have 1991.  The non NSE allocated but NSE liveried Mk1's include:

TSO

4929 - Pool PDYX at Derby

SK's

18875)

18938)

18940)

18943) - All Pool PLLX at Liverpool Edge Hill

18945)

18958)

18959)

18935)

18936) - All Pool PXXZ at Neville Hill

18937)

BSK

35471 - Pool PNLX at Neville Hill

35474 - Pool PXXZ at Heaton

Nothing Scottish allocated there but no reason why the stored ones didn't make a trip or two north at some point.

The NSE and InterCity Mark 1 were only used for one year, whilst the Mark 2 coaches were imported / repainted to cover for the lack of Class 158 (other routes had Class 156)

Managed to find one of the two photos again (as I have saved them locally) :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/roddymacphee/11669452465/in/set-72157637845853796

06 November 1990

From the roof vents it looks like a SK, so explains why it did not last very long with ScotRail (bogies probably used for spares)

I know thereafter several coaches were stored in Inverness and broken up very quickly

I can remember one being inside the shed

The InterCity livery coaches were used in the summer of 1991

From these two dates I will acquire those two years of books, then try to work out what happened

"47644 at Inverness 06/11/90 5Z35 0920 Perth - Inverness".  With a 5Zxx headcode I'd put money on that being an ECS move for a railtour, or 'extra' working

This appear to just be a positioning move after the end of the summer 1990 season and confirmed delay of the introduction of the Class 158 units

There was an Inverness - Kyle service using the Clan set, was this its last week of operation before swapping over to InterCity / SCOTRAIL / NSE livery?

Archived