Class 03 - Southern Region

Bachmann very kindly does an air braked version of the 03 with bulged engine room door and air tanks. I bought one a little while ago to turn into the version used on the Southern Region and have finally found time to finish it.

The main difference is (obviously)the high level air pipes and pipework fitted so they could operate with TC units but when you start looking there are a number of other differences as well from the Bachmann model.

Larger air tanks, moved marker lights, shortened handrail on cab rear, footstep on cab rear.

Craftman did, and might well still do, a conversion kit but I didn’t use it as the tanks were rather oval in shape and the air pipes normal bufferbeam ones rather than the slightly different high level ones. For these I used the ones from the Heljan 33/1 which have been available as spares.

A number of 03’s were converted to SR specs but a little care had to be taken choosing the number as a few were SR from new and had an extra pair of marker lights front and rear.

Not 100% accurate but I’m happy with the result .

Cheers

Stu

post-82-0-22049300-1447975565.jpg

post-82-0-43306400-1447975575.jpg

post-82-0-93095900-1447975585.jpg

Superb work lapford34102 its amazing how a few little bits make such a difference, I especially like the weathered, I've got a Bachmann class 03 that I'm in the process off replacing the buffers not intirelly happy with them.

Ben

Hi,
Thanks Ben and now you've mentioned the buffers realised they're a tad wonky. Perhaps I need to think about non working but accurate replacements.
Personally I much rather have decent non-working ones than sprung buffers as they've always seemed a bit gimmicky to me.

The weathering is a bit accidental as this was factory weathered and I did try to remove it to do my own. It was pretty tenacious in places so the result is a bit of hot-potch but looks OK.

Cheers

Stu

I've replaced the buffers with these http://www.lanarkshiremodels.com/lanarkshire%20models%20and%20supplies%20website_108.htm there non working but look better than bachmanns attempt to me, never been a fan of there buffers, just means you have to sand down a bit of the buffee beam to get them on, it's a bit of a pain but I think it'll be worth it once it's done.

The weathering looks superb even if it's factory applied with a few bits removed.

Ben

I found that with the older 03/04 models, if using closer (i.e. shorter) couplings, fitting sprung buffers actually helped as the buffers could, and did, come into contact with those of the wagons behind on tighter curves or crossovers. However, I agree that the Bachmann efforts mostly seem to look a little over-thick and chunky.

P.s. The model in the OP looks magnificent. Lovely work.

Archived